Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 08:51:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338348 Posts in 13850 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 296840 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2895 on: August 05, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »

I've said it a million times before.  Rumiko Takahashi doesn't seem to know when to end a series.  They go on way too long and overstay their welcomes. 

I feel like too many Manga artists do that in general.  I always thought of it as a "shit I'm making a ton of money from this... Time for the extended plot!!"

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2896 on: August 05, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »

I've said it a million times before.  Rumiko Takahashi doesn't seem to know when to end a series.  They go on way too long and overstay their welcomes. 

I feel like too many Manga artists do that in general.  I always thought of it as a "shit I'm making a ton of money from this... Time for the extended plot!!"

Well, it's often the magazine publishers who put pressure on them to continue a popular series.  Gotta milk it.  Though it's still not as bad as the mainstream US comics industry where the publisher owns everything and if an artist doesn't want to continue drawing a particular series the publisher can just replace them with a different artist...

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2897 on: August 05, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »

So speaking of milked to death franchises. Gundam.

Specifically, when I was poking around on Crunchyroll's news feed I spotted an update on that latest Tomino series. The update mostly consisted of character art and a few random screen caps. Also Char's Counter Attack. Specifically, Bandai temporarily put the movie up on the interwebs for the sake of generating interest in the upcoming series. So I spent roughly two hours this afternoon polishing off the last of the Core UC Gundam trifecta. Now I have the full story on pretty much every main UC Gundam inclusion in SRW (although I still need to do ZZ and Victory) and why everybody hates on Quess (the movie just isn't long enough to justify her decent into complete insanity, though I guess you can always blame it on Newtype bullshit).

Also I finished Madoka Magica. Shit's overrated yo. My heart was not warmed as much as it was suggested it would be. Though I won't say that I regret watching it.

Started Slayers Try in lieu of Gun X Sword since Hulu wants your Facebook account before letting you watch it.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2898 on: August 06, 2014, 05:07:50 AM »

Slayers Try is horrid
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2899 on: August 06, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »

It really depends on the manga. One Piece for example has been going on forever, and it is still magnificent (regularly getting ranked number 1 in Jump) and is probably still only a little past its halfway point. Bleach on the other hand has been in its "final" arc for mre than a year and freaking needs to die, but nope Kubo can't have that we need to have more and more battles despite it being in the bottom 3 of Jump fairly regularly. Then there is Naruto, which has been in the same arc for I think three years, but I believe it is confirmed that it is ending this year so almost freaking done (although not on a good note). Hurray!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2900 on: August 06, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »

And then there are Manga like Barrage, that get cancelled before they really go anywhere.

Yes, I'm still mad about that.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2901 on: August 06, 2014, 01:43:40 PM »

It really depends on the manga. One Piece for example has been going on forever, and it is still magnificent (regularly getting ranked number 1 in Jump) and is probably still only a little past its halfway point. Bleach on the other hand has been in its "final" arc for mre than a year and freaking needs to die, but nope Kubo can't have that we need to have more and more battles despite it being in the bottom 3 of Jump fairly regularly. Then there is Naruto, which has been in the same arc for I think three years, but I believe it is confirmed that it is ending this year so almost freaking done (although not on a good note). Hurray!

And then there's stuff like Medaka Box where the series is on the verge of being dropped, only for the author to take notice and bank hard enough into left field that readers get whiplash from the genre shift (though I don't think there's been any other case as extreme as Medaka Box).

Also Bleach and Naruto are great examples of authors starting a series on an interesting premise then proceed to ride by the seat of their pants for the duration of the series because they had no fucking clue as to what to do with said series once they played out their initial ideas.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2902 on: August 06, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »

Naruto was actually descent at the beginning.

I think the point where it started its downfall was the Naruto VS Sasuke fight at the waterfall.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2903 on: August 06, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »

Wasn't that Aeolus's point?  Though I still think early Bleach was better than early Naruto.  I honestly felt Bleach was quite good up until around the end of the first Soul Society arc, after which I completely lost interest.  Hmm, looking it up that's only like a sixth of what's out there...man I have completely lost touch with that series.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2904 on: August 06, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »

Oh yeah, the Beginning of Bleach was Fantastic. Naruto (as in the first series) was good, but it just doesn't handle the slow moments well, and sometimes its comedy is just way too childish for my tastes. But Bleach...if it was able to follow up the soul society arc in a much better fashion than it did, I think it would've ended up being a classic. The whole Aizen thing was a huge turn-off for me...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2905 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:31 PM »

I think the point where it started its downfall was the Naruto VS Sasuke fight at the waterfall.

I didn't think that was a bad way for things to go since Sousuke going off to join the dark side would've been a great launching point for a straight up antagonist. The problem is the fact that pretty much everybody introduced in that arc got reduced to squad filler status pretty quickly in favor of turning Sauceuke into some kind of cool/badass anti-hero that nobody could get over (and that ninjitsu in the Narutoverse basically amounted as Asian witchcraft that did whatever).

But yeah, Naruto's start was supposed to be about Naruto being social outcast loser finally getting his big break by swiping a secret skill, which quickly turned into a Harry Potter ripoff with the big difference being that we're following Ninja Ron Weasely instead of Ninja Harry Potter, which then got derailed into Ninja New Trilogy Star Wars, and so on....

Whereas Bleach started as Mahou Shojo Rukia getting pwnd and needing Ichigo to become Mahou Shonen Ichigo, wielding his big manly sword around to defeat the bad guys for great justice while learning that one of these monsters killed his mom and now he has a purpose beyond protecting his friends/random goofy strangers; then Rukia's brother shows up, pwns Ichigo, and kidnaps Rukia on the charge of breaking the rules; then Soul Society arc happens and Ichigo learns that just becoming a Mahou Shonen wasn't enough and he must become Mahou Shonen 2, then a whole bunch of shit goes down all at once, Ichigo successfully rescues princess Rukia from the tower and defeats her brother, Aizen shows up to become the series' big bad, and the rest of the series is spent trying to replicate all of that while cranking out hundreds of new characters based off of whenever the author felt like designing a new character.

Basically, Bleach had a better sense of direction in the beginning and only genre shifted once when things got real. Naruto's initial premise was burned through in one episode and kinda didn't really know what to do with itself afterwards.Then Bleach kept trying to replicate its previous success instead of moving on while Naruto still kept swiping from the latest hot new thing instead figuring out what the hell it should've been.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:08:58 PM by Aeolus » Logged

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2906 on: August 07, 2014, 06:42:03 AM »

And then there are Manga like Barrage, that get cancelled before they really go anywhere.

Yes, I'm still mad about that.
Eh, I found Barrage to not be very interesting. I preferred Stealth Symphony in terms of short lived series.

Wasn't that Aeolus's point?  Though I still think early Bleach was better than early Naruto.  I honestly felt Bleach was quite good up until around the end of the first Soul Society arc, after which I completely lost interest.  Hmm, looking it up that's only like a sixth of what's out there...man I have completely lost touch with that series.
Yeah those points are when Naruto and Bleach started to fall apart. Honestly, I think oddly for exactly opposite reasons. Naruto's greatest strength was that it had a well set up cast with the 9 characters from Naruto's class plus the three from the Neji team. Naruto was at its best when it was handling its side cast. Problem is that after the time skip it basically become the Naruto solo show. Other characters still got screen time, but it just wasn't the same anymore.

Bleach on the other hand refuses to let characters go so the cast is ridiculously large (does not help that I have heard Kubo just designs new characters whenever he gets writer's block) and it becomes impossible to care about them....plus the plot tends to repeat with the characters who should have a central focus (Orihime and Chad) being completely worthless all the time, Ichigo training to learn a new technique in the middle of a war right before fighting the big bad), and...yeah.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2907 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »

Barrage seemed really awesome to me. Like, potentially everything I could've wanted from a manga awesome. It had a fantastic set up, at least, but all they got to do was set up before it got canned...

OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2908 on: August 07, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »

I'm a bit out of the loop with anime, but apparently Netflix has been snatching up "newer" (depends on which way you look at it) anime left and right. My brother just told me to check out Captain Harlock Saga 2013 movie which I think is a retailing of the old school anime in a two hour block with killer CGI. As well as Knights of Sedonia which I was told is cool mecha (exclusive?) anime harken back to the old school anime; Robotech.

And finally, Sword Art Online is supposed to be cool for those who are into MMORPGs and anime (I don't play MMORPGs, but I get the lingo since my wife's really into Guild Wars 2). I'm not the type who has to stream fansubs as soon as their available for current airing seasons in Japan as I'm a bit more of a casual anime watcher these days, but with the titles mentioned above, I def. have the extra motivation to look into Netflix now.

Good times!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:15:25 PM by OrsonFury » Logged

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2909 on: August 07, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »

I'm not the type who has to stream fansubs as soon as their available for current airing seasons in Japan as I'm a bit more of a casual anime watcher these days, but with the titles mentioned above, I def. have the extra motivation to look into Netflix now.

The days of having to rely on fansubs have been behind us for a while now.  Crunchyroll is a legit site and they simulcast most series in any given season.  If CR doesn't get it that usually means Funimation did and you can watch their stuff through their site (which kind of sucks...) or Hulu.  We're really living in a golden age of (legit) anime availability here.  In a lot of ways we actually have it better than Japan, because deals with the TV broadcasters prevent them from streaming things there.  But personally I find streams a lot more convenient.

I'm actually kind annoyed at Netflix because of the Sidonia thing, though.  They got some kind of exclusivity deal on it, preventing anyone else from streaming it.  That wouldn't be so bad except:
1) It actually aired last season but it's only becoming available now.  That puts them well behind what other streaming services do, and of course behind the fansubbers.
2) The reason they were slow is probably because they took the time to dub it.  Now I don't mind if they want to make a dubbed version, I mind that they don't even have a subbed version as an option.  Some of us prefer things in their original language...

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: