Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #3690 on: March 29, 2016, 09:34:35 PM »
Happy to report it indeed was the multi-parter.
Kinda looking to satisfy more retro anime right now.  Or OVA's in general (series' are just....too long for any other way to take it in than a manga).

Good. Good.
I'm going to blow your mind a bit:
Code: [Select]
They cut Captain Planet's entire death scene.
If you're looking for old OVAs with charm, how about Patlabor?

I liked Captain Planet!  He takes me back to a time in anime where the men were muscular beefcakes

Patlabor is another classic I need to dip into.  Never knew what it was about, though I've heard and heard about it all these years.  I think I'll go in blind again and see it completely fresh.  I shall return for that...!

@Aeo and Kev

Kinda sad to see Frontier being very ho-hum.  I really like the Macross 'set up' of fighters and songstresses (daresay, very Ar Tonelico-ish); also a shame Delta looks like a bad mash up sci fi and magical girl....

And Thanks Aeo I might check out Legend of the Galactic Heroes! :)

Patema Inverted

Holy shit holy shit.  Sorry to be graphic, but I don't think my butt has ever puckered as much as it has for any other movie.  The film gives you a constant exhilaration that combines vertigo and a fear of heights.

For those who don't know the premise, I think the key art wraps it up:

Essentially there are two types of people, those who are normal and rooted to the ground, and the other who are, quite literally, inverted as to how "gravity works" for them.  So yeah, falling up is just as likely as falling down, and a big blue sky above is just as intimidating as a vast dark abyss below, and the film is good at making you pretty nervous at the sight of either.  The film constantly plays with these characters being pulled by either pole, and the shot of Patema and Age holding each other is both adorable and them just honestly hanging on to each other for dear life.  

The problems with it?

...well, beyond the incredible hook and gimmick the film has, it's a pretty standard adventure film.  It pulls a few good twists by the end, but the villain is pretty generic (even worse, without much backstory to justify himself), the Aigian people live in a bad YA dystopia where they take a conveyor belt to school that doesn't seem to teach much more than having a dictator spouts obvious bullshit over a TV screen about never questioning the orderly way of things (cue the symbolic moment where a class of zombies pay close attention to these ramblings while our  hero looks out the window yearning for something more), while "the Inverts" live in a steampunk web of pipes beneath the surface of the planet pursued by aforementioned authoritarian society.  The heroes are good and innocent but no better or more unique than any other Ghibli couple... really it's the excellent premise that brings this film together and I totally recommend it based on that because it's definitely good fun and worth seeing.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:57:50 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: March 30, 2016, 04:31:56 AM »
Best anime title...ever?

Figure skating isn't really my thing but the trailer looks pretty damn good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xcX0sqkkA

Finished up Prince of Stride. You want guys? You get shirtless guys in a hot spring, modeling for catalogs, singing in an boy band and getting close but not too close for TV all before the end of episode 3. There is also a girl who's the object of no ones affection, bright colors and fun to watch races. It didn't try to be anything deep and in that respect succeeded. An anime like Yowamushi Pedal could learn from its excellent pacing too.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: April 02, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
Hooooooooly shit the Ace Attorney anime is bad.
Like so bad.
Like I don't think I've ever seen something as soulless as that first episode.

They basically took the game and animated it.
Hell, it even comes with the tutorial.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: April 04, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »
Watched the finale of Iron Blooded Orphans yesterday. I am amazed, but not for any good reason...

That was an incredible tonal disconnect. They didn't just pull the fake out card for one of the three characters who appeared to die in the previous episode, oh no all three of them are alive. The only thing this did was turn Ein into a complete an total joke (although I suppose that is more in character with his depiction throughout the rest of the series). The episode was fine on its own, but it just did not fit with the semi-bleak tone of the rest of the series. Also it really did not set up anything for the second season beyond McGills having some grand master plan that we still don't know anything about. I have zero idea of what the second season is about and that kind of makes it hard to have any hype for it. I'll probably watch it if I remember it exists when it comes out, but I'm kind of meh on the idea right now.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #3694 on: April 05, 2016, 12:13:21 AM »
Hell, it even comes with the tutorial.

B...but why.
Oh man, what sad news for adaptions then. ;/
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: April 05, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »
Watched the finale of Iron Blooded Orphans yesterday. I am amazed, but not for any good reason...

That was an incredible tonal disconnect. They didn't just pull the fake out card for one of the three characters who appeared to die in the previous episode, oh no all three of them are alive. The only thing this did was turn Ein into a complete an total joke (although I suppose that is more in character with his depiction throughout the rest of the series). The episode was fine on its own, but it just did not fit with the semi-bleak tone of the rest of the series. Also it really did not set up anything for the second season beyond McGills having some grand master plan that we still don't know anything about. I have zero idea of what the second season is about and that kind of makes it hard to have any hype for it. I'll probably watch it if I remember it exists when it comes out, but I'm kind of meh on the idea right now.

Oh boy, here comes the inevitable second season to heap on the bullshit while the story devolves into a menage of model kits infomercials and popularity poll contests' results.

And this is why I didn't even bother to check this out. I've learned my lesson after SEED and 00.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: April 07, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »
I did encounter LOTGH in one way or another, it's like a steadfast kind of space opera thing. It's maybe not like as flashy as some anime but it often is just a lot more kind of grounded I think in many ways that make it kind of notable.

I'd put it in a similar category to anime like Berserk and such, where there's an emphasis on kind of blending anime conventions with maybe I guess kind of cinematic or Hollywood ones.

And actually honestly it's kind of  flashy in it's own right to be honest.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: April 11, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »
Finally bothered to see what all the fuss was around SAO.

I can see why people say it gets weird and creepy, but other than that I can't see what the big deal is. I just felt kind of 'meh' about the whole thing.

Gonna check out Monster Musume next because, well... I mean... monster girls, duh. I fully anticipate it to be terrible, but... well... monster girls.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: April 11, 2016, 05:31:19 PM »

I can see why people say it gets weird and creepy, but other than that I can't see what the big deal is. I just felt kind of 'meh' about the whole thing.

Gonna check out Monster Musume next because, well... I mean... monster girls, duh. I fully anticipate it to be terrible, but... well... monster girls.

You mean the part where the plot always revolves around girls getting raped until Kirito saves the day?

Come back to this post later (currently at work), I have to post my favorite image from Monster Musume and possibly the best single page manga has ever done.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you possibly the best page ever created: http://i.imgur.com/GGMtU8d.png
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:17:52 PM by Annubis »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »

You mean the part where the plot always revolves around girls getting raped until Kirito saves the day?

Come back to this post later (currently at work), I have to post my favorite image from Monster Musume and possibly the best single page manga has ever done.

I thought he meant the part when Kirito immediately buries a comically overwrought AIDS plotline with his amazing technological breakthrough that allows his creepy cyberdaughter to exist outside of the Matrix because he couldn't let his cyberwaifu have a storyline that wasn't about him in some way.

Or perhaps it was the part where he spent half a season getting lusting after by his large breasted cousin (or was she his half-sister or some crap)?

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: April 11, 2016, 10:20:03 PM »
It was his adoptive family's daughter, so... still creepy.

But yeah, the entire ALO section of the first series was just nonsense, a completely tone-deaf plot line that comes out of nowhere, is about 90% filler, and seems to resolve itself out of boredom more than anything else. I'd rather they just extended the original SAO plot line instead, but they seemed to throw that one out due to boredom as well. In fact, that is what happens! The main villain reveals himself early because he's bored and initiates the final battle for the hell of it.

Okay, so maybe I do at least understand the camp of folks who didn't like SAO... it is a really poorly paced, unorganized mess of a plot. Still don't understand the side that enjoyed it, though.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:25:20 PM by Klutz64 »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: April 12, 2016, 01:23:42 AM »
It was his adoptive family's daughter, so... still creepy.

But yeah, the entire ALO section of the first series was just nonsense, a completely tone-deaf plot line that comes out of nowhere, is about 90% filler, and seems to resolve itself out of boredom more than anything else. I'd rather they just extended the original SAO plot line instead, but they seemed to throw that one out due to boredom as well. In fact, that is what happens! The main villain reveals himself early because he's bored and initiates the final battle for the hell of it.

Okay, so maybe I do at least understand the camp of folks who didn't like SAO... it is a really poorly paced, unorganized mess of a plot. Still don't understand the side that enjoyed it, though.

I'm going to venture a guess and say 'Donald Trump supporters'.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:27:21 AM by Aeolus »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: April 12, 2016, 05:34:38 PM »
Edit: Actually I think there is a better way to phrase it all...

But yes.. go for it Annubis lol!

(For those that don't know I was trying to explain the reaction to SAO)

Oh and I forgot to mention..

For those who don't know the premise, I think the key art wraps it up:

Cool picture..
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:48:49 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: April 12, 2016, 05:44:31 PM »
One of these days, I'll make an entire topic on Kira Yamato.
Mark my words.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: April 12, 2016, 06:28:30 PM »
One of these days, I'll make an entire topic on Kira Yamato.
Mark my words.

Don't do this. Seriously, don't. Otherwise you'd have to inflict Cross Ange upon yourself, and no one deserves that. Think of all the waifus you'd leave behind.