Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #3885 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:35 AM »
Genshiken Nidaime
Madarame harem arc ending: completely redeemed.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: August 16, 2016, 01:39:01 AM »
OMG, Bakuon is such an epic trollfest. I love it. I haven't laughed this much in an anime in a long long time.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »
The Pokemon episode today had the conclusion of the latest Pokemon League. The fallout from angry Japanese netizens has been infinitely more entertaining than the episode itself. Just as an example, in typical angry internet mob fashion a bunch of them flooded TVTokyo's youtube channel preview for the next episode with thumbs downs (and the extra angry ones did it for videos unrelated to Pokemon of course).

I love it.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: August 18, 2016, 02:18:06 PM »
JUST LET HIM WIN ALREADY! THIS IS GETTING TOO PAINFUL TO WATCH!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: August 18, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »
OMG, Bakuon is such an epic trollfest. I love it. I haven't laughed this much in an anime in a long long time.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, but it doesn't sound enjoyable in the normal sense of the word...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:12:50 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: August 19, 2016, 06:35:28 AM »
Did you guys know about a SM live action musical by the way? I've been listening to it like all day lol it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiZn2xbl0Xc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWHzgxueOQ
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: August 19, 2016, 08:28:28 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, but it doesn't enjoyable in the normal sense of the word...

It was good stupid in which you could shut your brain off for at least the 1st half. I was kind of expecting K-ON on bikes but its more of a parody of SOLs with some fan service but its kept mostly to a minimum. There are lots of stupid funny jokes in the 1st half and I can't believe that all the motorcycle compaines signed up to get their bikes trolled. Unfortunately they pretty much ran out of ideas around episode 8 and the show limped home. 

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: August 21, 2016, 01:12:16 AM »
Not that anyone really cares about Bleach anymore, but it finally ended this past week. The ending was just as bad as the series itself has been for years. I'll always remember everything up until about midway through the Aizen arc fondly, but that means that over half of the series' publication history has been downright bad. I'm glad it has finally been put out of its misery. And to think, I used to wish that the author would try Zombie Powder again after he finished Bleach. Definitely don't wish that anymore.

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: August 21, 2016, 01:49:06 AM »
Not that anyone really cares about Bleach anymore, but it finally ended this past week. The ending was just as bad as the series itself has been for years. I'll always remember everything up until about midway through the Aizen arc fondly, but that means that over half of the series' publication history has been downright bad. I'm glad it has finally been put out of its misery. And to think, I used to wish that the author would try Zombie Powder again after he finished Bleach. Definitely don't wish that anymore.

Yeah, I haven't read the manga but from what I've watched, everything till the end of soul society was pretty good, and then it kinda went to shit lol.

I hear the manga is just as bad with all the random-ass power ups and complete fuckery of logic.
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: August 21, 2016, 05:01:27 AM »
The early years of the manga were great fun, but about halfway true it just started sinking deeper and deeper...

I'm not entirely sure why I'm still reading it (I buy the volumes), since the last arc has been super weird. I mean, it's not often you see villains based on something you thought was just a small local thing...

Okay, I should probably explain that. You see, this part of Europe (mostly The Netherlands and Germany) had a very special sort of guild. We call them schutterijen or schuttersgilden in Dutch. Up until two hunderd years ago or so, these guilds were basically the city guard, police force, fire department and, if needed, an army all rolled into one. Their traditional weapon: (cross)bows.

You'll still find these guilds in the eastern parts of the Netherlands and western parts of Germany, but the purpose of these modern guilds is to protect the traditions and folklore of their communities. The one I'm a member of still has archers (erh, to defend their honor in competitions, not to enforce the law!), but that's not the norm. What all these guilds do have in common is a love for fancy uniforms.

Okay, I admit I have no actual proof Tite Kubo knows anything about Dutch and German culture, but if he doesn't... well, it's a pretty big stack of coincidences.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: August 21, 2016, 05:10:51 AM »
The early years of the manga were great fun, but about halfway true it just started sinking deeper and deeper...

I'm not entirely sure why I'm still reading it (I buy the volumes), since the last arc has been super weird. I mean, it's not often you see villains based on something you thought was just a small local thing...

Okay, I should probably explain that. You see, this part of Europe (mostly The Netherlands and Germany) had a very special sort of guild. We call them schutterijen or schuttersgilden in Dutch. Up until two hunderd years ago or so, these guilds were basically the city guard, police force, fire department and, if needed, an army all rolled into one. Their traditional weapon: (cross)bows.

You'll still find these guilds in the eastern parts of the Netherlands and western parts of Germany, but the purpose of these modern guilds is to protect the traditions and folklore of their communities. The one I'm a member of still has archers (erh, to defend their honor in competitions, not to enforce the law!), but that's not the norm. What all these guilds do have in common is a love for fancy uniforms.

Okay, I admit I have no actual proof Tite Kubo knows anything about Dutch and German culture, but if he doesn't... well, it's a pretty big stack of coincidences.

How does Fairy Taill's Guild system align with actual guilds, if at all?

(Guessing perhaps not much)
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: August 21, 2016, 06:56:44 AM »
Well technically the final issue with Bleach doesn't come out till tomorrow (early scans use copies acquired before the street date either from the factory producing them or from stores before they put the volumes out), but I suppose that is a difference is fairly moot at this point.

And I disagree with the ending being as bad as the series has been for years, the past few chapters have been worse than the series as it is pretty clear that SJ finally decided enough was enough and told Kubo to wrap everything up in 6 weeks. I haven't read the final chapter yet, but I have no expectations that it is any better than the past five weeks.

I strongly suspect that they are not based on those guilds. While Quincies were originally based on bowman, that idea kind of went out the window when the current arc. I mean we have a freaking masked wrestler among the Quincies. I don't recall him ever using a bow of any kind, and very few of the new Quincies had bows that we saw. So basically as soon as he tied the Quincies to the Holy Roman Empire (by kind of implying that Ywach was this universe's Charlemagne based on timeline) he got rid of their association with bows.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: August 21, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
I only read the English edition so I'm half a dozen volumes behind, but I'm sad to stay I'm not surprised he piled on some more bullshit. Kubo is zo preoccupied with revealing twists and introducing new characters, he tends to forget about important stuff he's already written. Like, Chad was supposed to be a central character in the Fullbringer arc? I literally can't remember him doing anything important aside from existing, which is, now that I think about it, pretty significant, as Kubo often forgets he exists, so... yeah.

How does Fairy Taill's Guild system align with actual guilds, if at all?

(Guessing perhaps not much)

I'm nor very familiar with Fairy Tail, so I can't say, sorry.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: August 21, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
Gotta say, I'm surprised so many of you still follow Bleach despite ragging on it so much.  Like many I enjoyed it at first (really, the soul society story arc is still decent even today if you can consider it without all the baggage that followed...), but I haven't touched it in at least 8 years...

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: August 21, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »
I rewatched the Soul Society Arc back in 2014, but yeah, outside of the occasional manga chapter, I've only been following the discussions out of morbid curiousity. As a One Piece fan, Bleach's and Naruto's progressions have become are these weird sideshows that serve to remind me how bad One Piece could've gotten in less competant hands. Even Dragon Ball serves that purpose to a degree, though Toei kind of Toei'd the anime version after a while, too, and the sub-par animation during what should've been the climax of an arc nearly drove me off the edge...nevermind the episode the followed, which was such a flagrant waste of time that a straight recap episode would've been easier to sit through.

I'm currently watching the following flashback arc for an important character, though, and so far all is forgiven.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes