Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4635 on: September 23, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
So next season... well... there's really nothing great.
Although there's ton of stuff I don't know much about so maybe some sleeper hits.

Anime

Mahoutsukai no Yome
Should be descent to good

Dies Irae
From some VN but apparently it's one of the longest VN ever so there should be a strong story.
The VN is also highly regarded for whatever that's worth (never played it myself)

Inuyashiki
Read some of the manga and it was creepy & soul shattering.
If you want that, take a gander.

UQ Holder! Mahou Sensei Negima! 2
Now, I actually like UQ Holder, but the problem is (at least manga) that it takes a very long time before it gets good.
If they follow the manga, season 1 would be pretty lackluster but then later seasons would be great.

3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season
If you like season 1.

Gintama: Porori-hen
More Gintama for Gintama lovers.

Houseki no Kuni
This is ok. The setting is interesting at least.
It's girls made of gems/metals that fight off stuff that wants to destroy them with plot twists and stuff.

Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou
The low budget Idolmaster that never really took off back again.

Fireball Humorous
Probably a 5 minute comedy. Is this after or before season 2 that was before season 1?

Dragon Ball Super
Thank god I've got this at least. It's nice to know there's one good thing every season.

Movies

Overlord: Fushisha no Ou & Overlord: Shikkoku no Senshi
Overlord is the good isekai. If you somehow haven't watched season 1, you should remedy that.
Do it for Albedo!

Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel 1
I guess movies are better than yet another anime of FSN.
We all knew it would come one day. This is the last branch in the story tree of FSN.

Digimon Adventure tri
Still very interested where this is going. The last episodes/movies really shook things up.

OVA

Should I still list extra episodes that come out a season later as OVA? Feels like any descent serie gets that extra episode.
That or the bundled with manga episode.
Well, these all get that +1

Demi-chan wa Kataritai
Mahoutsukai no Yome
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon x2
Seitokai Yakuindomo
UQ Holder!

Now for those that are actually special:

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen - Prologue Sakura to Futatsu no Kuma
An in-between of two Sakura arcs.

Blade Runner: Black Out 2022
Tie-in to the movie I'm guessing.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: September 23, 2017, 06:55:50 PM »
Dies Irae
From some VN but apparently it's one of the longest VN ever so there should be a strong story.
The VN is also highly regarded for whatever that's worth (never played it myself)
OH oh oh! *raises hand and flails it about wildly above his head to get Annubis's attention* I have played the visual novel! I don't know if I can say that it is one of the longest ever, but it is certainly on the longer end of the VN spectrum. I just checked in Steam and it took me a total of 59 hours to complete all four routes and all the side stories in the final released version.

I loved the story and it has some amazing fights in it. I have been looking forward to watching the anime since I first played the game a few days after the English release. The only thing I am sad about regarding the anime is that since I have heard that it is only adapting one of the four routes, I will not get to see some of my favorite fights animated as my four favorite fights are on four different routes XP. Then again, I suppose I prefer that to them trying to cram in the events of all four routes into one story...especially since the routes are completely divergent fairly quickly.

Anyways, I hope you'll give it a chance. And if you end up picking it up, I would love to discuss it week to week with you.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: September 23, 2017, 09:40:19 PM »
Dies Irae
OH oh oh! *raises hand and flails it about wildly above his head to get Annubis's attention* I have played the visual novel! I don't know if I can say that it is one of the longest ever, but it is certainly on the longer end of the VN spectrum. I just checked in Steam and it took me a total of 59 hours to complete all four routes and all the side stories in the final released version.

I loved the story and it has some amazing fights in it. I have been looking forward to watching the anime since I first played the game a few days after the English release. The only thing I am sad about regarding the anime is that since I have heard that it is only adapting one of the four routes, I will not get to see some of my favorite fights animated as my four favorite fights are on four different routes XP. Then again, I suppose I prefer that to them trying to cram in the events of all four routes into one story...especially since the routes are completely divergent fairly quickly.

Anyways, I hope you'll give it a chance. And if you end up picking it up, I would love to discuss it week to week with you.
It better be more then 1 season or I don't have much hope for it besides  seeing some flashy fights. Some of the battles in the VN were downright viscerally  violent, and I want to see them animated.  If it is only a 12 episode series then I am expecting it to be a pacing train wreck or serviceable at best. That is A LOT of story to cram into 12 episodes even if they choose to animate just 1 route.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: September 23, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »
It better be more then 1 season or I don't have much hope for it besides  seeing some flashy fights. Some of the battles in the VN were downright viscerally  violent, and I want to see them animated.  If it is only a 12 episode series then I am expecting it to be a pacing train wreck or serviceable at best. That is A LOT of story to cram into 12 episodes even if they choose to animate just 1 route.
Have they announced how many episodes it is going to be? Last I had checked its length was unknown. *checks the Interwebs* Huh so it is going to be 12 episodes and 6 online episodes? Well that is a lot less time than I was expecting. I assume the online episodes will end up being side story stuff so that some plot elements *coughTubalCaincough* get some explanation despite the explanation not being on the adapted route (which is probably Marie's route). So 6 hours to cover a single route...yeah this is going to be interesting to see. That certainly decreased my expectations, although I remain hopeful.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: September 24, 2017, 03:41:11 AM »
Oh, so Annubis was the reason I wasted my time on Overlord!

...I'd say "no offense," but I'm still angry about that show. I don't care if it was just supposed to advertise the novels, it wasn't a very good advertisement. If there was any potential to its story, it didn't show it outside of a few scenes, and I'm far less enthusiastic about a movie adaption at this point.

Speaking of bitter disappointments: I saw the rest of the Berserk movies now that I noticed they were up on Netflix, and BOY was that unpleasant. I don't know what I was expecting, though, since that was my opinion of the manga after the demons showed up.
Spoiler: show
Maybe I figured they'd downplay the gore during the sacrifice scene? That they wouldn't be so graphic during Casca's multiple rape/attempted scenes? Or that I would actually give a damn about this story now that they killed off all of the characters I had gotten attatched to, except for two characters who may as well be dead, and Macho-Man Guts who I only found interesting when he had Griffoth as a foil?
Either way, Berserk was always a series I liked the idea of more than the actual excecution. It's just not for me, plain and simple, and no amount of increasingly-underbudget 3D animation was going to change that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:49:13 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: September 24, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »
Oh, so Annubis was the reason I wasted my time on Overlord!

...I'd say "no offense," but I'm still angry about that show. I don't care if it was just supposed to advertise the novels, it wasn't a very good advertisement.
It wasn't a very good adaptation but  it served it purpose very well. After the anime came out Overlord became the top selling light novel in japan for 2015, sold a crapton of merchandise, and spawned a silly short animated series. 

When you try to cram a lot of source material into a small amount of time it rarely ends well.   Just look at that train wreck  Unlimited Blade Works movie that was so bad  Type Moon re did the whole thing as a 2 season anime. You could not get anything out of it unless you had read the VN 1st, and even then it was only good for the fights.  Overlord  wasn't anime adaptation friendly to begin with as it  is full of world building, info dumps, and character monologues. Overlord is supposedly going to get a 2nd season, but that material is even more anime adaptation unfriendly.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: September 24, 2017, 10:10:18 PM »
This upcoming season looks good and Gintama is back!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: September 30, 2017, 11:08:04 PM »
Okay, I actually decided to take a look at this upcoming season's anime chart. I stopped watching trailers two seasons ago, and I'll continue to do the same again, since trailers have only lead to disappointment for me in the past. With that said:

I might give Black Clover a chance.

I'm glad Blood Blockade Battlefront is coming back.

Dies Irae looks interesting, but everything people have said about it suggests it'll probably turn into a rushed mess. If it turns out better than expected, though, I'll definitely give it a watch. Otherwise it'll be yet another reason why 12-episode seasons shouldn't be the default for story-heavy adaptions...

More Gintama is always good.

I actually had a soft spot for the first season of Hoozuki.

Why are they making another adaption of Kino's Journey? The first one seemed fine enough.

Robomasters: The Animated Series sounds like everything I originally wanted Robotics;Notes to be, although I still liked that show in the end.

Does anybody know if Altair: A Record of Battles has been any good so far?

Glad to see we'll be getting the second Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt movie soon, not to mention more Digimon Adventures Tri. Oh, and the animated Godzilla movie looks amazing! I can't wait for it!

Oh, and I forgot Yamato 2202 was on-going! I can't wait until that's finished and translated so I can binge-watch it! 2199 was amazing and I really want to see what happens after that!

^Just my unfiltered thoughts after looking at AniCharts, sans all the "This looks dumb" and "ew, why is this a thing?" that I've learned doesn't really add anything positive to a conversation.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:24:46 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: October 01, 2017, 12:19:52 AM »
Digimon Tri new batch
Well, things just got pretty confusing. Tons of factions and no idea who is actually bad or good.
Heck, I'm not even sure that the digidestined are doing the right thing.
Someone may have died but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
Psycho lady is scary.

I might give Black Clover a chance.

Oh yeah, I kinda skipped that one.
It's a decent shounen.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »
After dropping all anime for 2 years, I (re)watched the first episode of Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan.  A shadow of its parent series, but still cute, and the dub brings back the cast from Haruhi, so it does scratch a very very deep and lonely itch, for me.

I had starting watching this when the dub was first released, but never managed to finish it.  So I'm starting back at the beginning.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: October 09, 2017, 03:45:12 AM »
I can recall seeing the Imouto Sae Ireba ii (A Sister's All You Need) LNs around for years now and I always kind of rolled my eyes at the title.  Never actually tried reading them for reason that...really ought to be obvious.  But now that it's animated I figured what the heck, let's see if it's as bad as I imagined.  Sure the summary sounds suspiciously similar to Eromanga Sensei and we all know that was complete utter trash.  But who knows...

...Well I can hardly believe I'm writing this but I actually liked the first episode.  Fair warning though: The first roughly two minutes consists of an absurd parody that's basically the fantasies of a deranged siscon.  It's so over-the-top it's kind of obvious that it's parody but...even so it's too much.  I almost quit right there.  Fortunately it ended and really the rest of the episode is absolutely nothing like that.  I'm still not totally sure what the show is all about to be honest because most of the first episode was really character introductions.  But they were natural character introductions, meaning the audience gets to know the characters through dialogue rather than a narrator reading summary blurbs or something.  That was kind of it, really, but it was well-written, well-paced, and surprisingly enjoyable.  There wasn't a whole lot of plot development but then it's just the first episode.

There is no denying, however, that this show is very much a product of Japan's bizarre fixation on little sisters.  The question is whether it's a parody or social commentary on that fixation or just an indulgence of it (ala Eromanga Sensei...).  So far it seems to be more of the former.  The main character is obsessed with and writes about little sister characters but he doesn't actually have a sister himself.  (Or does he?  I'm already suspicious of the 'little brother' character and this is by the same author as Haganai...).  There was already some indication towards the end of the episode that he has some deeper insecurities and is using the whole 'little sister' thing as an excuse to maintain a certain distance from people.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into that scene.  But the fact that I would even consider that interpretation already puts this above most works in the 'genre'.

Obviously it's just one episode and the show could still go to shit, but at least for now I'm going to keep watching.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: October 09, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
The incest fetish that is taking over this scene is by far the most disgusting fetish I can think of.  No frickin' clue how this is so widely accepted in this medium.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: October 09, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
Everytime I've seen the incest thing in anime you almost always find out at some point they weren't blood related anyway. Is it weird to say that the trope bothers me more than the actual incest? :P

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: October 09, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
Is it weird to say that the trope bothers me more than the actual incest? :P

Yes!  >:(

Incest should always generate its own outrage.  How did the anime-watching world at large lose perspective on how nasty incest is?  It's not really something to laugh off or minimize.

But even making that statement, part of me worries that I'm coming off as sanctimonious or judgmental.  But it's incest!  Why should I worry about that?  GAAAAHH!!!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: October 09, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
Sorry, I've watched so much game of thrones that it has lost all meaning on me. :P It's not something I practice, but no, incest doesn't bother me like it does you.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.