Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4740 on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:53 PM »
Yakitate Japan (28-episode peacock):   I guess this captures my sentiments.

Yeah, I just finished re-watching it myself and I remembered something important while doing so: the last season is pretty meh.
Like, if around episode 50 you start thinking it's not as good, it won't get better.
It should have stopped at the Monaco arc to end on a high note.

Pop Team Epic looks too silly to comprehend. I'll be laughing at it from a safe distance, as I did with Nichijou/Ordinary Life.

Trying to decide on an anime to watch. My internet's been iffy lately, so I think I'll go through my DVD/Blu-Ray collection.

Should I watch:

Black Lagoon?
Cowboy Bebop (Rewatch)?
Trigun: Badlands Rumble?
Redline?
Banner of the Stars?
Mazinkaizer (Rewatch)?
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories (Rewatch)?

Figured I'd ask, since I'm really in the mood for fast-paced Action and/Or Sci-Fi awesomeness...and I got a lot in both categories...

Banner of the Stars is very very slow. I'd wait until you want something void of action.
Don't know Redline... so I guess my answer would be Black Lagoon.

With that list you give, it feels like Zegapain would fit well.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: January 24, 2018, 01:26:44 AM »
Pop Team Epic looks too silly to comprehend. I'll be laughing at it from a safe distance, as I did with Nichijou/Ordinary Life.

Trying to decide on an anime to watch. My internet's been iffy lately, so I think I'll go through my DVD/Blu-Ray collection.

Should I watch:

Black Lagoon?
Cowboy Bebop (Rewatch)?
Redline?
Banner of the Stars?
Mazinkaizer (Rewatch)?

Figured I'd ask, since I'm really in the mood for fast-paced Action and/Or Sci-Fi awesomeness...and I got a lot in both categories...

Banner of the Stars is very very slow. I'd wait until you want something void of action.
Don't know Redline... so I guess my answer would be Black Lagoon.

With that list you give, it feels like Zegapain would fit well.

Redline's basically anime Wacky Racers, except that it takes itself very seriously in its edginess. Its also a movie much like Bad Lands Rumble if you're looking for something to chew up an hour and a half.

Depending on how sated you are for action those two movies, you can go for either of the two shows you listed.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: January 24, 2018, 02:08:01 AM »
I feel like I should be watching more anime but I really haven't found anything I like this season.  I was sort of enjoying Record of Grancrest War as well until ep 3...but what a mess that episode was.  It felt like they crammed an entire season into a single episode or something.  So much happened with so little explanation.  If that's the way the series is going to continue then forget it...

Maybe I'll try A Place Further Than the Universe after ironmage's recommendation.  I hadn't actually checked it out yet.

Yakitate Japan (28-episode peacock):   I guess this captures my sentiments.

It has been so long since I watched Yakitake Japan I had forgotten that ending was actually a thing.  Such a silly show.  It's hard to think of another ending sequence that has less to do with the contents of the show.

That is not a complaint, BTW ;)

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: January 24, 2018, 07:25:33 AM »

Darling in the Franxx (2-episodes, continuing):  *whistles*  Now that's good giant robot anime.

If Trigger/A1 handle this in the same way as KLK this is easily my AOTS lol, which is surprising given how good Violet Evergarden looked.

Also just binged through all of Land of the Lustrous and it's easily an 8-9/10. Probably one of the best shows of 2017.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:13:59 AM by DHKany »
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: January 25, 2018, 07:17:05 PM »

Should I watch:

Black Lagoon?
Cowboy Bebop (Rewatch)?
Redline?
Banner of the Stars?
Mazinkaizer (Rewatch)?

I didn't like black lagoon but if those kind of animes are your thing you'd like it.

Crest/Banner of the stars is great. I enjoyed the OVA movie too. Just don't watch the dub. I'm sure you probably already know this but Banner is season 2.

haven't watched the others.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: January 25, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »
Somehow we all missed Today's Menu for Emiya Family
(PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p7MQA_yKjQ)

Ep.1 is out and ep.2 will be out Feb1 then more every month.
This is the good kind of Type-Moon.
That opening is so good too.

Emiya would totally ask the grail for a cooking show.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:49:34 PM by Annubis »

Der Jermeister

• A True Dragon Quest Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: February 05, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »
I watched the original Soylent Philosopher's Stones Fullmetal Alchemist, this time with the English dub, since the first and second times I watched it subbed, and wasn't aware the second time I could switch the audio to English. I watched Conqueror of Shamballa as well with the English dub, and overall, it's definitely still one of my favorite animes.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: February 08, 2018, 11:30:03 PM »
I watched the original Soylent Philosopher's Stones Fullmetal Alchemist, this time with the English dub, since the first and second times I watched it subbed, and wasn't aware the second time I could switch the audio to English. I watched Conqueror of Shamballa as well with the English dub, and overall, it's definitely still one of my favorite animes.

The english dub is every bit as good as the japanese version. Its funny how the original has gone from best anime evar to IMO crazy underrated. Both Brotherhood and the original are in my top 10 so its hard to find fault with either but I do like the original just a bit more. Brotherhood admittedly had a better story because I think the original was going to have mulitple movies and/or more seasons. That being said Brotherhood is just a pretty much standard shonen story albeit one of the best shonens of all time. The original was more character driven and more personal. Also the homunculi were so much better and had so much personality in the original.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: February 09, 2018, 12:36:51 AM »

The english dub is every bit as good as the japanese version. Its funny how the original has gone from best anime evar to IMO crazy underrated. Both Brotherhood and the original are in my top 10 so its hard to find fault with either but I do like the original just a bit more. Brotherhood admittedly had a better story because I think the original was going to have mulitple movies and/or more seasons. That being said Brotherhood is just a pretty much standard shonen story albeit one of the best shonens of all time. The original was more character driven and more personal. Also the homunculi were so much better and had so much personality in the original.

I preferred Brotherhood the Manga to FMA 2004 since End of EVA > Secret Nazi Cult.

Also, I wouldn't call FMA crazy underrated. It was on Good Morning America not too long ago.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: February 09, 2018, 06:31:55 AM »
Put me down as preferring the manga story to the 2004 anime as well.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: February 26, 2018, 10:25:29 PM »

Also just binged through all of Land of the Lustrous and it's easily an 8-9/10. Probably one of the best shows of 2017.

I was pretty meh on the show for about 8 episodes, then it became great and the season ended.

Made in Abyss also was just so-so for about the 1/2 of the season before it became OMG this is incredible.

It almost makes me wish the days where you had to pay $100-150 for a season just so we could get some 26 episode seasons greenlighted.....almost.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: March 03, 2018, 02:07:24 AM »
Recently I used what little downtime I had to read the earlier chapters of Dr. Stone that I missed, and it was nice to see what was happening because I wasn't entirely sure. I'm really loving this series a lot, but I do have a qualm that has come to light recently. I mean, I guess, it shouldn't surprise me, but I was hoping that it would take a different tack than "science produces weapons that we need to defeat the bad people." I guess I'd hoped it would be a bit more to it than that, and it's obviously problematic. I still like the series, but I was hoping for some outside of the box thinking.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: March 08, 2018, 01:15:13 PM »
Jumping the gun a bit, but man, there's a lot of old school stuff coming next season. Lupin III: Part V, The Legend of Galactic Heroes, a Fist of the North Star prequel, CUTIE HONEY!!!, and the return of Gegege no Kitarou (lesser known outside of Japan, but a big deal to old/old school japanese fans, I'm sure). Coupled with the return of Full Metal Panic! (not that old, but one I've been eagerly anticipating) and I've got quite the blast from the past to look forward to. Honestly, I'm just glad I've got more than just My Hero Academia that caught my interest, since I've gone way too long jusat watching reruns and playing catch-up with older series. I need something new again...or at least something old that's starting up again. =P

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: March 12, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »
HDIVE has legend of the galactic heroes and we do have a new? reboot? out in a few months so I'm going to start it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: March 13, 2018, 03:50:06 AM »
HDIVE has legend of the galactic heroes and we do have a new? reboot? out in a few months so I'm going to start it.

Do they still require a subscription? That's the main thing that's put me off that site, which was also my problem with The Anime Network before it...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes