Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4755 on: March 19, 2018, 06:39:55 PM »
HDIVE has legend of the galactic heroes and we do have a new? reboot? out in a few months so I'm going to start it.

Do they still require a subscription? That's the main thing that's put me off that site, which was also my problem with The Anime Network before it...

$4 a month ($5 for 1080p). a small scattering of exclusives, a bunch of dubs. stream works well on chromebook. Not a bad deal I guess.

About 10 episodes in. LoGH is getting good, nothing earth shattering but maybe we are getting there. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:42:04 PM by Rook »

TheCaterStreetHangman

• "If you want to be strong, learn how to fight alone."
  • The absence of enduring hardships = no growth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: March 25, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »
I am re-reading the Dragon Ball Z manga (as released by Viz for North America from the 2000s). Apparently, Super Saiya-jin Goku is having a spot of trouble against the overly powerful Cell. Memories...
"All it takes is a spark to ignite a fire."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWBFkaXMyw

54th All-Japan Aikido Demo (2016) by Sensei Ryuji Shirakawa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM3B62JM9s8

Titanfall 1 (Militia) [Lobby Theme #2] {Very Epic Track}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1tVgQrjHM

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: March 27, 2018, 09:25:05 AM »
Shit... would you look at the date. About time I do this.

Feels like I don't know much this season because there's a lot of long running anime I've never cared about (WIXOSS, HS DD, Beyblade, Aikatsu... etc.)

https://www.livechart.me/spring-2018/tv
http://anichart.net/spring-2018

Shokugeki no Souma (season 2)
Food wars season 1 was pretty well received but got a bit old in the end. I guess the real question here is how much they are bringing in the way of changes for the new season.

Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season
Still the biggest of the new wave of shonen. At this point, you're either already in or you're out.

Steins;Gate 0
A different story path from the first season. Tuturu~

Sword Art Online Alternative
Based on a side-content of SAO. About as good as that sounds.
I mean, usually side content is pretty bad. When it's actually good, it's a rarity.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
2 otakus end up dating. Kinda funny stuff.
Think of it as people from Genshiken finally left university, got boring jobs and then hooked up together.

Persona 5 the Animation
How did they release an anime before I even had time to play game?

Jikken-hin Kazoku: Creatures Family Days
Whaaaa? This thing sounds so messed up.... and that's coming from the guy who re-watched Kyouran Kazoku Nikki this year.
Let me just copy/paste the synopsis:
«A scientist couple has been arrested for conducting illegal studies, allegedly for performing genetic modification on five of their children. The youngest child Dannis is the only one who grew up as a normal human and now has to tend to the rest of his family while trying to find a medicine to turn them into normal humans again.
Dog human, plant gene, spiderweb gene, and mind reading–how will these family members who grew up in a laboratory survive in the outside world?!»
I am morbidly curious...

3D Kanojo: Real Girl
Otaku in high school is getting dated by a hot girl. Not funny or particularly interesting. It's fairly bland and mostly about the MC's insecurities.
Like, if you want a shoujo feeling love story with an otaku male protag, go for it.
It's not a waste of time, it's just not something people will ever talk again in 3 months.

Hinamatsuri
Now THIS! THIS is my recommendation. It is hilarious.
A yakuza ends up giving shelter to a psychic young girl. Wacky things ensue.
The side cast is also incredible. Goddamn Mishima Hitomi is a goldmine of humor.

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
FMP finally getting a sequel. I don't even remember how I feel about FMP by now.
It all edges on if they can recapture the magic or not. DB sure did with its come back so it's not impossible.

Cutie Honey Universe
What I said above.

FLCL Progressive
What I said above the above.

Gundam Build Divers
I initially had snubbed the Gundam Build serie for not being a 'real' Gundam, but once I got to it, it was pretty good. Much better than some of the 'real' Gundams (*cough* AGE). I'm in for the ride, but since this is season 3, I don't expect to be amazed.

Continuing
Darling in the FranXX
My friend says I should watch this and it's actually good. The ero fades a bit after the start and there's a real story apparently.

Hitori no Shita: The Outcast 2
I loved season 1. It's a slow burn but the last two episodes were amazing.
Season 2 seems pretty slow up to now so I'm hoping it follows suit and has hard hitters at the end.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen
Pretty much what I said about FMP.

Specials
Digimon Tri continuing still
They really made 2 seasons of this but somehow could only get it out in OVA form.

Ninja Batman
This will either be horrible or horribly hilarious.

Quan Zhi Gao Shou
Totally unknown but actually good. This is about a Pro player that got snubbed coming back in TOTALLY NOT DUNGEON FIGHTER ONLINE
I don't know how they can do anything in 3x30 minutes though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:27:38 AM by Annubis »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: March 27, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »
I already mentioned the retro-ish love this season is getting. I didn't notice FLCL was getting a sequel, though. Awesome.

So yeah, a lot of awesome shows to make me feel like a kid again, and I can't wait!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:53:13 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: April 14, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
Watching the new FMP made me realize how little I remember about FMP.
I hope they trickle down some info at the start because I'm pretty lost about the plot already =/

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: April 21, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »

Hinamatsuri
Now THIS! THIS is my recommendation. It is hilarious.
A yakuza ends up giving shelter to a psychic young girl. Wacky things ensue.
The side cast is also incredible. Goddamn Mishima Hitomi is a goldmine of humor.

THIS.....is amazing

I also watched about 15 minutes of P5 and decided I like the not yet existent dub better and will just wait for that.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: April 21, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »
I hope they trickle down some info at the start because I'm pretty lost about the plot already =/

Good luck with this. They're bumrushing the plot and they already skipped some filler (with the only detail of consequence being the end of the already barely there love triangle between Sousuke, Kaname and Tessa).

At least I'm happy that they're trying to keep it set in its original time period, given how anachronistic some of the future tech ends up being compared to what we got today.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: April 23, 2018, 09:51:00 AM »
12 episodes into my Steins;Gate rewatch in preparation for S;G 0.  Remember, kids: watching Steins;Gate subbed is like watching Cowboy Bebop subbed.  You're doing it wrong.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: April 23, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
12 episodes into my Steins;Gate rewatch in preparation for S;G 0.  Remember, kids: watching Steins;Gate subbed is like watching Cowboy Bebop subbed.  You're doing it wrong.

Yeah, but if you aren't watching it subbed, then you'll miss out on the hilarious Engrish. "Its so cool! Sunnvabitch!"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: April 23, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »
That's just one episode! :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: April 23, 2018, 07:19:59 PM »

I was never really enamored with Steins Gate (I didn't hate it or anything just say a 7/10). Maybe I did it all wrong.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: April 23, 2018, 07:23:57 PM »

Good luck with this. They're bumrushing the plot and they already skipped some filler (with the only detail of consequence being the end of the already barely there love triangle between Sousuke, Kaname and Tessa).

At least I'm happy that they're trying to keep it set in its original time period, given how anachronistic some of the future tech ends up being compared to what we got today.

Yeah, episode 2 bumrushed the plot even more so I think I'm out of luck here.

I was never really enamored with Steins Gate (I didn't hate it or anything just say a 7/10). Maybe I did it all wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYvhhMjW32k

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: April 23, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »

Nah. This is pretty close to average on the general scale of quality. It has some cute moments, but it takes itself entirely too seriously for a plot you probably already saw on Star Trek: The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine. It's also the one-hit wonder of the Semicolon;@t franchise due to not being entirely overpowered by the Male Wish-Fulfillment Powerfantasy Harem elements that otherwise define the series'.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: April 24, 2018, 08:59:41 AM »

Nah. This is pretty close to average on the general scale of quality. It has some cute moments, but it takes itself entirely too seriously for a plot you probably already saw on Star Trek: The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine. It's also the one-hit wonder of the Semicolon;@t franchise due to not being entirely overpowered by the Male Wish-Fulfillment Powerfantasy Harem elements that otherwise define the series'.

Conversely, it's one of the best and most compelling time-travel stories ever and features two of the best lead characters from any anime.

But the dub is a must.  Quality drops a lot with subs.

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: April 24, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »
Hardly. The subs are great quality and I actually prefer them over the dub which forces a little bit too much internet humor at times for localization.

The only anime that is truly unequivocally better dubbed than subbed is PSG, and even then that's only because it almost designed from the ground up to be a western animation. 
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty