Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4785 on: June 02, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
I'll +1 that Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime that's better dubbed than subbed.  I've watched it both dubbed and subbed, and it's one of the only anime where I prefer the English dub.  The stars must have aligned, because everyone was on point. 
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: June 03, 2018, 01:43:00 PM »
I finished the second season of Ruroni Kenshin. The protagonist sort of reminds me of Batman with his no-kill policy, and there are definitely some great battles. I'm watching the dub, which I don't mind, since there are some occasional ethnic-looking and sounding Japanese, alongside characters like the broomhaired guy who sounded like a Southerner, reminding me too of Disney's Robin Hood where the Sheriff of Nottingham had a Southern drawl.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: June 03, 2018, 05:55:28 PM »
I finished the second season of Ruroni Kenshin. The protagonist sort of reminds me of Batman with his no-kill policy, and there are definitely some great battles. I'm watching the dub, which I don't mind, since there are some occasional ethnic-looking and sounding Japanese, alongside characters like the broomhaired guy who sounded like a Southerner, reminding me too of Disney's Robin Hood where the Sheriff of Nottingham had a Southern drawl.

Rurouni Kenshin's second season is still one of my favorite arcs in battle anime.

Also, really digging your new avatar, Der Jermeister.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: June 10, 2018, 10:53:38 PM »
SAO pink bunny edition - episode 9:
They just had to have something rapey in there...
It's like a tradition.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: June 10, 2018, 11:22:35 PM »
SAO pink bunny edition - episode 9:
They just had to have something rapey in there...
It's like a tradition.

...well, that's a series to take off my "To watch" list...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: June 13, 2018, 07:19:21 PM »
Recently on Netflix I had the good fortune of re-watching both Full Metal Alchemist series. I still prefer Brotherhood but both are excellent imho.

On youtube I've watched a lot of clips of the Big Green and Speedy dubs of the Dragonball Z movies. Both have a so bad its funny vibe to them.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: June 19, 2018, 06:07:37 AM »
Watching a few different series, so I figured I'd share my thoughts:

My Hero Academia S3
Episode 49 is amazing for so many reasons, I don't think I could possibly just how well done it was! If nothing else, the line at the end, "This is the End of the Beginning, and the Beginning of the End" summed it up perfectly, bringing closure to a great story arc while setting up a plethora of intriguing questions about All Might's past and where the everything goes from here. I've never been so satisfied by a single episode, yet so incredibly excited to see more!

Magi: Whatever Subtitle Season 2 Had and The Seven Deadly Sins S2
Still (very) slowly going through the dubs of these two whenever I remember I have Netflix. Mind you, I blazed through S1 of The Seven Deadly Sins recently, but I kind of want to savor this next season, especially since it's less clear where the story will go from here. Magi's anime adaption still manages to be better than the manga, in my opinion, less for the stuff they added, and more for what they took out. Magi could get dark out of nowhere, often in ways that I found unnecessary and even tasteless at times. Sanitizing it just meant there was less to distract from the story. Hopefully I'll get around to finishing these before I forget about Netflix again.

Star Blazer
Realized it was on Funimation as part of the Simuldub thing, so I'm rewatching 2199 dubbed before I move onto 2202. This show is still great, and the solid dub is only making it even more enjoyable for me.

Darling in the FranXX
...Yeah, I'm not feeling this one. It really hasn't been interesting, the pacing is terrible, the world, monster designs, characters...none of it stands out. Even the animation, while still high quality, hasn't been as stylish as I've come to expect from Studio Trigger. I guess that's the A1 pictures influence, but considering that Trigger's staple is lots of fast movement and engrossing the viewers in non-stop style...this has nothing that sets it apart. It's just another post-Evangelion mecha series that's just too focused on Teenage drama and the relationship between a boring shmuck and the resident waifu bait. I've been tired of that crap for years. And don't even get me started on the rampant fanservice, especially early on when we don't have much context for...anything that she does for a while, basically. It really does nothing for me, especially when this is still the sexiest thing I've ever seen in mecha anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hFLGSapT6s

Honestly, I prefer it when giant robot shows are more focused on the literal and metaphorical clash of titans - whether it's the glorious machines going head to head, the might of two ideologically incompatible nations locked in a life-or-death struggle for their way of life, the tragedy of two great men forced by circumstances to oppose eachother, the clashing of over-the-top personalities as two rivals duke it out...

...this has been going a different direction so far, and it's just not interesting enough to be worth my time.

At the very least, this show has strengthened my resolve to finish
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Eureka Seven
Star Driver
Full Metal Panic

Because everything that I felt could have been interesting in Darling in the FranXX I've already seen done better in these shows, along with a few others, like Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've just been saving these for a rainy day...and boy did it pour...

...FYI, I was going to binge Megalobox instead, but Crunchyroll's been giving me issues lately, so Darling won out by default. I'll try to make sure I watch that one when I can, it looks like it'll be miles better than this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:05:55 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: June 19, 2018, 08:26:14 PM »
It's next season time again.

Anime serie:

Overlord III
Plot: High
Uniqueness: High
Wish fulfillment Toxicity: Low
Ero: Low

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu
Plot: Mid
Uniqueness: Low
Wish fulfillment Toxicity: Mid
Ero: High

Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria
Plot: Low
Uniqueness: Low
Wish fulfillment Toxicity: High
Ero: Mid

Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3
Nothing much to say other than if you survived season 2, you'll likely watch this.

Gintama. Gin no Tamashii-hen 2nd Season
It's more Gintama

FLCL Progressive
The awaited FLCL sequel. Will it be good or will it be shit? Nobody knows.

Akkun to Kanojo
Please don't watch this.

Happy Sugar Life
Maybe watch this... but shit's fucked yo (and it involves kids).
Whenever something's title sounds too happy, you know it ain't gonna be pretty.

Fate/Extra: Last Encore - Irusterias Tendouron
*waves hand* These are not the Fate you are looking for.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro
Apparently a lot of people find this hilarious, but I just don't get it.
At worst check one episode and see yourself.

Jashin-chan Dropkick
Kinda gag serie whose joke runs flat really quickly.
Re-watch Monster Musume for the top snek instead.

Free! Dive to the Future
Do you like yaoi?

High Score Girl
Stay away from the girl! (and by that I mean this serie)

Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki
Some kind of hardcore samurai war story.
Color me intrigued. I feel it's been a while since we had one of those (that was good).

Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa
This is a show about a side character from Kaiji.
I really love Kaiji but mostly because of Kaiji.
I'm willing to give this a try but I just can't see how Tonegawa would be interesting.

Planet With
Mecha anime by the creator of "Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer" (good).

Leftovers:
Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season
Steins;Gate 0
Gundam Build Divers
Persona 5 the Animation

Anime movies:

Mirai no Mirai
Pretty much the only thing worth talking about.
Could be pretty big.

Digimon movies...
For a while I said these were OK, but not anymore.
The plot can't seem to go anywhere and the last batch was pure shit.

Anime specials:

Dragon Ball Heroes
Well, this will be interesting. Dragon Ball Heroes is its own thing but it gets to have an animation now.
This is going to be DB fanservice galore.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: June 19, 2018, 11:53:04 PM »
And speaking of Isekai, I recently picked up Vision of Escaflowne (TV series) so I have a reason to trip report here again.

As far as the first episode is concerned, its already better than the OVA (in that Hitomi isn't manic depressive (yet...?)). Also, more people are in on the whole 'getting beamed up to an alternate world' which is a bit better than normal Isekais from the long, forgotten era of 1996 (christ, this can't already be 22 years old).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: June 20, 2018, 01:09:13 AM »
Funny, I just recently rewatched Escaflowne.  I had seen it before of course but it's been a long time so I figured I would give it another shot.

The first half of the show is pretty good but honestly it loses momentum after a while and the second half is a complete mess.  There are also a million plot holes I could pick apart.  It is a refreshing change from modern isekai if only because it's very much a shoujo series at heart with some action/adventure elements thrown in.  So it stands out from the modern isekai (which let's be honest are very much male power fantasies) because it's the style and genre is very different.  But is it actually better?  I don't know...certainly just being different has some merit when we're drowning in a see of clones but I was honestly less impressed with the show today than I remember being when I first watched it.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: June 21, 2018, 11:06:23 PM »
Yeah, its a Shoujo series alright. Every time there's a dramatic close up for 'romance' I keep wondering if this time's the time somebody loses an eye to those shoujoFace.jpg noses.

That being said, I'm now up to episode 8 and I find myself wanting to see Escaflowne in a SRW more than ever now. I wasn't aware that the titular mech's flight mode literally has Vaan standing on top of the thing like a fucking sandworm, but I love the idea of picturing him doing that while blowing up Zakus in outer space while the writers come up with whatever 5 cent bullshit excuse to justify the absurdity of it. Hell, its absolutely not even water tight so you can easily see the gameplay/story segregation even with the D rank in Water across the board (let alone the shenanigans a Screw Module or A-Adapter would incur).

Of course, I can also see why it hasn't been used in an SRW game yet as well since it has some pretty self contained world building. It also doesn't have too much of a soundtrack (its got some incidental music but not much in terms of themes beyond the OP and ED; at least the OP is Yoko Kanno, even if its some of her more middle of the road stuff), so I'd say that the OVA is superior on this front. But then, I've seen SRW do more with less so these things aren't really much of an excuse.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: June 22, 2018, 02:07:29 AM »
Well if you're only on episode 8 you're still in what I would consider the good part of the show.  Let's see how you feel by the end.

Though personally I think the soundtrack for the show was excellent.  Even though it had been so long since I watched it the first time that I had forgotten major parts of the story I definitely still remembered most of the musical themes...

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: June 27, 2018, 08:30:39 AM »
Hitori no Shita 2: final verdict
It was a huge waste of time.
I'll still recommend season 1, but season 2 was basically 1 major plot point elongated over the entire season for little reason.
It even has the gall to finish with a "now it really begins" ending after 24 episodes.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: July 02, 2018, 05:50:58 PM »
And speaking of Isekai, I recently picked up Vision of Escaflowne (TV series) so I have a reason to trip report here again.

As far as the first episode is concerned, its already better than the OVA (in that Hitomi isn't manic depressive (yet...?)). Also, more people are in on the whole 'getting beamed up to an alternate world' which is a bit better than normal Isekais from the long, forgotten era of 1996 (christ, this can't already be 22 years old).

You could remake this for 2019 w/ HItomi getting sucked into the online world of Gaia.....no wait don't do that!

The Escaflowne movie: depressingly mediocre. The series tho, still a classic.

If you are looking for a damn good Isekai try The 12 Kingdoms. Its one of my all time top 10.

as far as anime goes, I don't think its been a good year. Gintama has been alright and I think they are on track for a solid ending/last season, and the Hanamatsuri w/o Hana episodes are great but that's pretty much it.
Please tell me why I still watch Yowamushi Pedal because I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:02:28 PM by Rook »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: July 02, 2018, 06:03:07 PM »
If you are looking for a damn good Isekai try The 12 Kingdoms. Its one of my all time top 10.

Been there, done that. But thanks for the effort.

Unfortunately, one of the disks was improperly stored and has warped, so my progress has stalled on episode 11 (hopefully it hasn't damaged either of my PS2s, as that would piss me off).