Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4800 on: July 02, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
If you are looking for a damn good Isekai try The 12 Kingdoms. Its one of my all time top 10.

Been there, done that. But thanks for the effort.

Unfortunately, one of the disks was improperly stored and has warped, so my progress has stalled on episode 11 (hopefully it hasn't damaged either of my PS2s, as that would piss me off).

the anime really gets good at episode 11

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: July 02, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »
If you are looking for a damn good Isekai try The 12 Kingdoms. Its one of my all time top 10.

Been there, done that. But thanks for the effort.

Unfortunately, one of the disks was improperly stored and has warped, so my progress has stalled on episode 11 (hopefully it hasn't damaged either of my PS2s, as that would piss me off).

the anime really gets good at episode 11

-_-

So are you going to link to a torrent for episodes 12 ~ 14, or are you planning on mailing me a replacement disk? /facetious question

Because, to reiterate, I can't seem to watch past episode 11 due to a warped disk (and the fact that this is a Bandai joint, which means good fucking luck trying to watch this legally online without waiting for a planetary alignment to occur).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: July 05, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
Yeah, I haven't watched 12 Kingdoms, and I don't think I ever found a good place to do so...

Also, looking at next season, at least Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion looks interesting. I still have a bunch to catch up with, though. Since I got an Amazon Prime trial, I figured I'd at least watch Grimoire of Zero and Re:Creators. Gotta prioritize those, since I really shouldn't have Amazon Prime. I'm just tired of getting told I have a trial, and that I could get free stuff...at least now I'll be able to say to myself, "that doesn't apply to me, I already did the trial."

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Put Re:Creators on top of that list. It's a wild ride.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: July 06, 2018, 12:55:07 AM »
Yeah, I haven't watched 12 Kingdoms, and I don't think I ever found a good place to do so...

Also, looking at next season, at least Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion looks interesting. I still have a bunch to catch up with, though. Since I got an Amazon Prime trial, I figured I'd at least watch Grimoire of Zero and Re:Creators. Gotta prioritize those, since I really shouldn't have Amazon Prime. I'm just tired of getting told I have a trial, and that I could get free stuff...at least now I'll be able to say to myself, "that doesn't apply to me, I already did the trial."

Made in Abyss is almost worth your prime membership in itself.

Haven't watched Re: Creators yet. Land of the Lustorous is good, so is Princess Principal. Inuyashiki is extremely violent if that is your thing. Altair a record of battles is kind of a mix between FMA and Aldermain in the Sky (though not as good as either one but decent nontheless)

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: July 06, 2018, 11:15:58 AM »
Just FYI, I only have 3 weeks left, so I'm just watching the two short series that looked worth my time. I wanted to give Land of the Lustreous a shot, but I just don't have time for more than one show that I'm only interested in for the spectacle (Re:Creators already fills that slot).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: July 08, 2018, 10:32:15 PM »
Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa
This is a show about a side character from Kaiji.
I really love Kaiji but mostly because of Kaiji.
I'm willing to give this a try but I just can't see how Tonegawa would be interesting.

Ok, see, I was really worried about this because Tonegawa is non-character getting the spotlight.
Nearly half of episode 1 is him in a meeting trying to remember people's name...
This is going to be hot trash.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: July 08, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »
4 episodes into Grimoire of Zero. Really want to watch more tonight, but I got started too late, so I gotta save it for tomorrow. Shame, since I left off on a big cliffhanger. This has been very pleasant so far, with a big focus on world-building and character development. That's just act 1, though, and the plot's about to pick up. I really enjoyed seeing the adventures of Tsundere Tigerman and his magic-wielding companions, but I'm ready to see where this is gonna go.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: July 11, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »
Last season stuff:

Darling in the Franxx (finished):  What can I say?  I've liked every Trigger production I've seen so far.  Even when they're adapting old tropes, they still pull through on execution.

Megalobox (finished):  Although this had several Moments of Awesome, by the end it had fizzled out.  The fights mostly followed the same pattern, and the last battle was forgettable.  This is still worth watching for the production quality and the general ambience, but it's not a strong recommendation.

Hinamatsuri (finished):  This had likeable characters, and some really funny moments, but I wish there had been more of an overarching story.

Major Second (season finished):  If you like baseball anime, you can do a lot worse.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes:  Die Neue These (continuing):  I hope they get enough budget to finish the story.

My Hero Academia (season finished):
Spoiler: show
UNITED
STATES
OF
SMASH

New season stuff:
"Chio's School Road", "Cells at Work!", "Planet With", and "Hanebado" survived the initial culling, but "Chio" is the only clear standout.

Mr. Tongawa: Middle Management Blues (1-episode drop):  Over-the-top reactions to genuinely boring situations does not make for good comedy.  Our protagonist (a banker of some sort) spent much of the episode trying to remember his subordinates names.  This is about as entertaining as you would expect.  The beginning was worse, though; there were four minutes of what I thought was a plot summary for an earlier season, but turned out to be completely irrelevant.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (4-minute drop): augh it's another crappy isekai please make it stop

Angels of Death (1-episode drop):  This appears to be some sort of survival horror, but it didn't give me a reason to care about the main character.  Creepiness without imagination or characterization is just irritating.

Harukana Receive (1-episode drop):  Beach-volleyball series.  The artwork...is...okay (if you're into that sort of thing) but none of the characters had distinctive personalities, and this doesn't look like it's going measure up as a sport anime, either.  However, students of the female form may find this of interest.

The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar (15-minute drop):  This isn't the worst I've seen, but it takes me a fair bit of effort not to simply dismiss isekai reflexively at this point.

The Journey Home (8-minute drop):  Something about bugs in space.  When the initial data dump continued for eight minutes, it became clear this series wasn't going to respect my time.

Asobi Asobase (8-minute drop):  Those characters were sandpaper on my nerves.

Music Girls (10-minute drop): It's an idol anime.

ISLAND (1.5 episode drop):  This is based on a harem-style VN, with several of the bad cliches that entails.  If you actually enjoyed that VN, this is probably a fair adaptation of it...just not one that I'm inclined to continue watching.

Phantom in the Twilight (1-episode drop):  I'm not in the target audience for otome game adaptations.

Late night!  The Genius Bakabon (4-minute drop):  I think you need to have grown up in Japan in the 70s to have any idea what this was.

Holmes of Kyoto (12-minute drop):  Antique appraisal has never been so boring.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: July 11, 2018, 10:22:07 PM »
I never realize how much I missed Gintama until it comes back.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: July 12, 2018, 09:31:44 PM »
Mr. Tongawa: Middle Management Blues (1-episode drop):  Over-the-top reactions to genuinely boring situations does not make for good comedy.  Our protagonist (a banker of some sort) spent much of the episode trying to remember his subordinates names.  This is about as entertaining as you would expect.  The beginning was worse, though; there were four minutes of what I thought was a plot summary for an earlier season, but turned out to be completely irrelevant.

It's taken straight out of "Kaiji" and it's basically a minimal cut of the entire plot; the anime where he's a side character.

I do like that they kept the entire visual style that they've always kept for these series... but that's about the only praise I have for it.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:00 AM »

On a lark I googled all of the Current Season Stuff you listed and this actually looks like something I could maybe watch.  I think I enjoy boring anime, though?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: July 13, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »

On a lark I googled all of the Current Season Stuff you listed and this actually looks like something I could maybe watch.  I think I enjoy boring anime, though?

some SOL animes are decent to very very good

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: July 14, 2018, 06:13:23 AM »

When someone asked me if I'd watch an anime about some dude working on a dictionary for a decade or so, I was like: "Yes, please press play!" I think I'll give this one a shot, too.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: July 14, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »

When someone asked me if I'd watch an anime about some dude working on a dictionary for a decade or so, I was like: "Yes, please press play!" I think I'll give this one a shot, too.
..but...but...I highlighted the title in red.  It's not good for my ego if you all do the exact opposite of my recommendation. :-(

Well, if either of you do try it, let me know what you think.  I dropped it, not because of the subject matter, but because it wasn't doing anything interesting with that subject matter, and I think they dug the protagonist out of the bottom of the discount trope bin.  I'd be interested to know if it gets better later.

It's not like I have anything against series with low-impact premises; Chio's School Road started out pretty well.  In the first episode, our heroine is diverted by construction while walking to school, and later helps a kid recover his lost balloon.  Antique appraisal has got nothing on this.