Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4815 on: July 16, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »
..but...but...I highlighted the title in red.  It's not good for my ego if you all do the exact opposite of my recommendation. :-(

ROFL

Sorry man, didn't think anyone would even notice my post.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: July 17, 2018, 11:46:21 PM »
So Tite Kubo did a one-shot for Jump that was published last week. While better than the mess that was the latter half of Bleach, it was still pretty bad. I realize hes not really relevant any longer, but if any of you are curious then let me just recommend you skip it.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: July 20, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »
Holmes of Kyoto (12-minute drop):  Antique appraisal has never been so boring.

On a lark I googled all of the Current Season Stuff you listed and this actually looks like something I could maybe watch.  I think I enjoy boring anime, though?

You might like The Great Passage (amazon) its about a guy who writes dictionaries.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: July 26, 2018, 06:18:55 AM »
Went to the Ghibli Fest/Fathom Events showing of Princess Mononoke. Seen it more times than I can count, but that was the first time in theater. It was a great experience. Were going to to go see Spirited Away and possibly My Neighbor Totoro this fall.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: July 26, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
^ I didn't know this was a thing, so thanks for the heads up. Apparently, they will be showing these in a neighboring community.
I've never seen My Neighbor Totoro, so I think I may take my son to see it. Definitely going to Sprited Away. I'm a bit sad that I missed The Cat's Return and Mononoke...
Like you, I'm not going to mess with Grave of the Fireflies (good, but severely depressing) or Castle in the Sky (literally bored me to sleep).
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
Oooh, Totoro is excellent.  And I love Castle in the Sky!  ...admittedly, mostly for the OST.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: July 26, 2018, 02:38:08 PM »
Castle in the Sky (literally bored me to sleep).

Most of my friends love Castle in the Sky, but I fell asleep watching it too! I liked it when they finally made it to Laputa, but the rest of the movie was a snooze-fest (no offense to any Castle in the Sky fans out there).

And don't feel too bad about missing it. I imagine it will be back next year. The theater we went to was full for Mononoke, and I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of people that attended our showing of The Cat Returns. I imagine they'll do Ghibli Fest again next year.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: July 28, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
It's been a while since I've visited this thread. So even though I was watching like 6 different animes at once that I've put on hiatus (including re-watching the first episode of Psycho Pass recently), I've still decided to start on the newest shiny thing dangled in front of me- in this case, a shiny thing that has been sorta-maybe dangled for nearly 15 years before it finally materialized. Leading up to it I was sure it was going to get cancelled or something, but the entire season apparently already came and went so I accepted that it's finally here and got to viewing. Full Metal Panic IV is my newest watch, and I'm currently 4 episodes in.

I've never read the light novels myself so I don't know much about what's going to happen, but so far I'm really enjoying it. It feels like stuff is actually happening this time around (probably a result of this project being on hold for so damn long so they want to make sure they get as much in in case we need to wait another 2 decades for the next season) although I'm still waiting for them to take the time out to actually do an explanation of the world FMP takes place in- three full seasons of this show have come and went before this one and I didn't even know any of the alternate-history stuff that makes up the backdrop for this show until I read a random wiki article about it, though I guess it won't happen if it's not actually important to the plot at some point.

Anyway story-wise I like that it sets its tone as pretty serious from the get-go, and I'm enjoying the dialogue quite a bit this time around, because I found it really refreshing how frankly Sousuke and Chidori were speaking to each other in the early episodes instead of it being full of stock innuendos you'd usually find in this sort of relationship. The production quality isn't so impressive though. Most animation so far has been decent enough but an embarrassingly bad CGI car chase scene in the second episode was probably the worst part.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: July 31, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
I pretty much gave up on the new FMP anime.

As for what I did lately, I re-watched the entirety of Strike the Blood.
I still think it's pretty good and I'd like a sequel just to know the rest of the story.

That said, watching it week by week was ok but it's a whole different story when you binge it.
This image I found correctly illustrates my main thought about it now:

(She says that every single episode)

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: July 31, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »
Always thought Psycho Pass was underrated. I think its a whole lot better at cyberpunk than Ghost in the Shell.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: August 01, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
I pretty much gave up on the new FMP anime.

Because you weren't enjoying it? Or because of the aforementioned "it might take another 20 years to finish the story"?

For my part, I've finished the season and I think it's by far the best of FMP I've seen so far, at least as far as actual plot and character stuff goes- though Fumoffu is one of the best comedy anime shows I've seen so that's kind of hard to compare. But compared to the first season or TSR? Stuff actually happened plot-wise and I loved the character interaction this season so much more than all the other ones. It was pretty short on comedy though, so I imagine if that was your favorite part of the previous seasons, you'll probably completely hate this one.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: August 01, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »
Damnit, I never finished the first season of FMP. I really want to get onto the new stuff...would I be alright storywise if I just skip to second raid? I remember doing that years ago, but I can't remember if I was actually following along just fine, or if I just got googley-eyed over all the giant robots...I was a teenager at the time...

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: August 03, 2018, 01:41:45 AM »
I'd say yes, although events and characters from the first season do get referenced so I imagine you'd get more enjoyment if you watched it all (that's a whole 24 extra episodes though). I'd recommend Fumoffu if you want a comedy series at some point- it really has no plot relevance to anything and is just a collection of short stories so it can be watched on its own whenever.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: August 03, 2018, 03:36:58 AM »
FMP S1 was rather light on the overall plot as Gauron was barely the Disk 1 boss with his ties to Sousuke's past and the introduction of the Behemoth are pretty much the extent of his relevance. Considering how many more significantly relevant villains job harder and faster in other series, its hard to take Gauron as a threat on his own. The S1 school hijinx aren't really worth writing home about either (and FUMOFFU existence makes them almost completely superfluous anyways).

The most you really get out of S1 is some backstory, seeing the Segaul, Weber and Mao trio at work and the groundwork of the love triangle between Sousuke, Kaname, and all the rest.

Meanwhile, Second Raid is a hell of a lot better. Full Stop.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: August 04, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »
Because you weren't enjoying it? Or because of the aforementioned "it might take another 20 years to finish the story"?

FMP prior to this season was so long ago and it failed to make me remember why I liked it back then.