Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4860 on: January 15, 2019, 07:04:22 PM »
Then again, winter season usually has the most surprises, so we'll see.

I did some digging around, and it looks like Dororo actually seems like it might be more interesting than I initially thought. I figured it was an aaction/horror series (or at least a creepy supernatural thriller), but between the author of the original manga being the Father of Anime himself, and Studio MAPPA/Tezuka Productions being at the helm (both of which have put out largely stellar modern interpretations of classic anime & Manga), as well as the examples I've seen of how they're tighting up some of the more archaic parts of the original story, I think this might be a pretty safe bet as the new season anime I'll enjoy.

With that said, it's an Amazon exclusive, as many of Tezuka Production's anime have been lately, so it'll probably be a while before I get around to watching it. Still, I wanted to bring it up since I didn't see anyone else here mentioning it.

Oh, and I guess I'll be keeping an eye on Shield Hero. It does look like it's putting more effort into its plot, characters, and world building than your average Isekai anime, but I'm honestly more concerned with whether or not the ending will be satisfying. My biggest problem with any anime adaption is that there's always the possibility that they'll stop at an unsatisfactory point and I'll have to switch to the source material if I want more, but I'm sure as heck not gonna go from the multi-layer experience than an animated series can provide to the pure text of a Light Novel. It could be the best story in the world, and it still wouldn't have nearly the same level of impact for me.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: January 15, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »
A~hem...

And maybe to see how they'll choose to end this version of Madara/Dororo/whatever.

As for Shield Hero, let me know when you get to the part where a woman is beaten, has her name legally changed to Fuck Whore, and sold to Jabba the Hut as a sex slave, all for accusing the Shield Douche of raping her.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: January 15, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »
A~hem...

And maybe to see how they'll choose to end this version of Madara/Dororo/whatever.

As for Shield Hero, let me know when you get to the part where a woman is beaten, has her name legally changed to Fuck Whore, and sold to Jabba the Hut as a sex slave, all for accusing the Shield Douche of raping her.

1) I wasn't sure whether or not you were talking about something else since uh...you yourself didn't seem to be sure about the title? But still, good to know. Let me know what you think if/when you get around to it. I'll probably wait until March to watch it.

2) What? *Checks Wikia* Oh. Well, that killed my interest in Shield Hero in no time flat. Thanks. Goddamnit, that's like, the 5th webnovel that I've seen crosses that line, and SOA and Goblin Slayer both proved that there's no reason for the animators to sanitize those elements, so it's probably for the best that I just go back to ignoring Isekai stories of this ilk.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:27:22 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: January 15, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure that won't be in the anime (either because they won't go all the way to that part of the story or because they aren't fucking stupid =/)
A lot of super toxic LN are better consumed as the manga or anime version simply because they remove the extreme ideas that the writers get.

Hell, the manga version of "Re:Monster" is hilarious because it's pretty much family friendly while the novel version is quite something.
Mad respect for the mangaka doing that one.

2) What? *Checks Wikia* Oh. Well, that killed my interest in Shield Hero in no time flat. Thanks. Goddamnit, that's like, the 5th webnovel that I've seen crosses that line, and SOA and Goblin Slayer both proved that there's no reason for the animators to sanitize those elements, so it's probably for the best that I just go back to ignoring Isekai stories of this ilk.

I mean, if you want to take a stance, that's fine and understandable but if it's just the event that's turning you off, like I said above, it's clearly going to be cleansed in the anime (should it even reach there and that will clearly need more than 1 season). Even the manga softened that whole part out because it's just... yeah.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: January 16, 2019, 02:30:34 AM »
@Annubis

To give a more naunced response, I did read quite a bit of the Wikia, which actually seemed to provide a different summary for the manga/anime and the webnovel on a page-by-page basis, and I certainly noticed some differences, but on the whole, it seems like there's a lot more in this story that I would've found distasteful than I originally thought. I mean, considering how integral slavery is to the overall plot, and the main character's complacency for it despite having our modern world's sensibilities already makes me genuinely hate the protagonist the same way the webnovel iteration of Re;Monster's interpretation of its protagonist ignited so much rage within me - they should know better.

I can excuse Goblin Slayer, because yeah, I'd probably hate those Goblins too, and he has zero reason to ever think otherwise. I can excuse Toyohisa from Drifters because yeah, he's from a different time, and as psychotic as he seems, at least he's getting things done in a world that otherwise seems hilariously incompetant when it comes to stopping the Ends, where their previous attempt arguably just made everything worse by establishing the Fourth Reich.

But I just can't get behind a character who seems to be in it for himself, getting back at characters for entirely petty reasons, and only making the world better on accident so long as he's spiting someone else, while willfully engaging with a system that deprives others of their freedom. We already have politicians for that.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: January 28, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »
Running through Full Metal Alchemist again.  Still 10/10. Though I've come to the point in my life where shows like this are about as violent as I can handle.  I just don't have the stomach for things like Attack on Titan anymore.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: January 28, 2019, 08:20:04 PM »
I just don't have the stomach for things like Attack on Titan anymore.

Same here, for the most part. I still enjoy stuff like Hellsing and Kabaneri, but I think that's out of nostalgia for their art styles at this point - the heavy use of shading intended to portray a very moody atmosphere that used to run rampant in old anime OVAs and films at one point, and outside of a few hear and there (mostly just MAPPA's works), I don't really see that much anymore. I mean, OVAs these days are mostly extensions of TV series or Limited Edition Manga tie-ins, and I don't watch anime films very often, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Still makes the shows that mimick that style stand out to me, though. I mean, I don't think either or the examples I gave could be considered "good" from a narrative standpoint, so it really is just the art & music holding my attention, and that's on top of being horrifically violent in ways that would normally turn me off a series.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:25:01 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: February 01, 2019, 10:00:20 PM »
Running through Full Metal Alchemist again.  Still 10/10. Though I've come to the point in my life where shows like this are about as violent as I can handle.  I just don't have the stomach for things like Attack on Titan anymore.

Ironically I thought the 1st FMA had more stomach churning moments than AoT. Kaneberi is just a Sawano music video (albeit an excellent music video).

Still watching Run w/ the Wind which is already god-tier sports anime and every bit as good as Chihayafuru and Haikyuu.

Got around to watching RE: Creators, which while defo not perfect, its very enjoyable.

A Place further than the universe: yes its fine and well made, but I dunno why it keeps popping up as No.1 on the best anime of 2018 lists. I mean the whole girls doing things in a genre I like but I found animes like Sakura Quest and Sound Eupho to be much more superior. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:04:41 PM by Rook »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: February 04, 2019, 11:00:00 PM »
Just finished reading Mushoku Tensei.

Anyone has any recommendations as far as LN goes?

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
Hey The Promised Neverland is really good.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: February 16, 2019, 01:04:15 AM »
I've been listening to RWBY's soundtrack a lot (seriously, it's great stuff, especially the character themes), so I decided to give the series another shot. The first 8 episodes were still extremely rough, and I found myself having to skip around a lot just to make it through it - the animation, direction, and tone were just all over the place! I found myself laughing at it rather than with it more often than not.

However, it did start to shape up after the mid-point of the first season, and now that I've finished episode 16, I think I'm unironically enjoying it now. The characters do seem to have an interesting dynamic, the world is fleshed out enough that I actually feel like things are building towards a major event instead of just making things up by the seat of their pants (with that said, credit to the RvB team for making that style of writing look easy), and some of the jokes can be funny & clever. I really look forward to watching the next season tomorrow.

Animation's still dogshit, though, but understandably so. I spent the first couple of episodes racking my brain trying to figure out what program they're using, since I notice a few quirks that looked familiar. Turns out, if I just finished an episode I'd get the answer in big bold letters, but hey. I've definitely seen other indie animations that were made in Poser to varying degrees of quality, and it reminded me of the scale of their operation. There are much bigger animation teams that have utterly failed to do what they set out to accomplish, even at their relatively short average run times. I mean, just look at some of the CGI anime shorts from the past few seasons if you want examples of how bad it could be.

Move over Miyazaki!

This is fine enough. As long as the writing holds up, I'll have a good time.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: February 17, 2019, 12:37:22 AM »
Ok, so it's been enough episodes that I can say Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue is good.
First half of the first episode is meh until you get to the second half that makes the whole thing way more interesting.
The format makes it fun.

Meanwhile, 6 episodes in Egao no Daika and I still have no what that thing is supposed to be.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: February 18, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
I've been listening to RWBY's soundtrack a lot (seriously, it's great stuff, especially the character themes), so I decided to give the series another shot. The first 8 episodes were still extremely rough, and I found myself having to skip around a lot just to make it through it - the animation, direction, and tone were just all over the place! I found myself laughing at it rather than with it more often than not.

However, it did start to shape up after the mid-point of the first season, and now that I've finished episode 16, I think I'm unironically enjoying it now. The characters do seem to have an interesting dynamic, the world is fleshed out enough that I actually feel like things are building towards a major event instead of just making things up by the seat of their pants (with that said, credit to the RvB team for making that style of writing look easy), and some of the jokes can be funny & clever. I really look forward to watching the next season tomorrow.

Animation's still dogshit, though, but understandably so. I spent the first couple of episodes racking my brain trying to figure out what program they're using, since I notice a few quirks that looked familiar. Turns out, if I just finished an episode I'd get the answer in big bold letters, but hey. I've definitely seen other indie animations that were made in Poser to varying degrees of quality, and it reminded me of the scale of their operation. There are much bigger animation teams that have utterly failed to do what they set out to accomplish, even at their relatively short average run times. I mean, just look at some of the CGI anime shorts from the past few seasons if you want examples of how bad it could be.

Move over Miyazaki!

This is fine enough. As long as the writing holds up, I'll have a good time.

PSA: don't click the link.  It's not even interesting-bad.  It's just bad.  And sad.  And will make you sad.

Also, RWBY is awesome, even in the early episodes.  I couldn't keep up with it after Monty died, though.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: February 18, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
In retrospect, I think that one was a VRChat machinama, actually, so that's a bit unfair. It was just the most recent one I encountered that looked so distractingly bad.

http://i.imgur.com/Hxt1YMx.gif

As for RWBY, I always figured when I finally saw this in context, it would be the highlight of the episode. I was wrong. Instead it was just the precursor to the greatest, most action-packed food fight I've seen in anime! I was in stitches! Now I'm definitely glad I started watching this!

I Draw Stuff Sometimes