« Reply #4875 on: March 17, 2019, 08:33:12 PM »
https://anichart.net/Spring-2019
https://www.livechart.me/spring-2019/tv

Well, this season went by quickly.

One Punch Man 2
Well, this is a no-brainer.

Shingeki no Kyojin 3 Part 2
What's in the basement?
I wish I was kidding but that's the only part of this whole serie that still holds some interest with me.

Kenja no Mago
Isekai that's about mid tier.
Power fantasy but no bad stuff like slaves or whatever.

Fruit Basket
First manga for a lot of people. This is going to be a nostalgia blast.

Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
School life light comedy/romance with no real special trait.

Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san
A depressed and overworked salaryman gets visited by a homely kitsune god who basically wants him to be happy.
It's really heartwarming.

Mix
I've read TOUCH and most of this author's other mangas, but at the same time, it's pretty much always the exact same story.
It will probably be really good, but I think I'll pass.

Kidou Senshi Gundam: The Origin - Zenya Akai Suisei
Some sort of remake of the origin. Sounds interesting.

Isekai Quartet
«Petit crossover anime featuring characters from Overlord, KonoSuba, Re:Zero, and Youjo Senki»
The isekai kings all together? Sure.

Leftovers:

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
Season 1 was fine but season 2 will likely get to the really bad part of the story.
That's going to be a harder sale.

Movies:

Hibike! Euphonium: Chikai no Finale
Now this is my blast of the past. I like how true this thing feels for people that were in a school orchestra.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4876 on: March 17, 2019, 11:14:40 PM »
At this point its better to bail on Shingeki/Attack on Titan. The explanation wasn't worth it.

Meanwhile I'm still plugging away at L-Gaim. I'm on episode 44 now and its hilarious on what a Twenty Xanatos Pileup this has become.

I've also checked out Macross Delta: Movie Edition and while the plotting is significantly tighter, I feel like they could've excised Mirage from it entirely (as they already did in regards to the plot).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: March 18, 2019, 03:57:28 AM »
One Punch Man 2. Nothing else matters.

Actually, I take that back, Gunjou no Magmel looks pretty cool. Dunno if I'll get around to it, though. I really don't think I'm interested in following seasonal anime anymore, tbh. And if it's based on a manga, I might be better off waiting until it sets up a proper story arc before I get into it. These tend to take some time to build up momentum.

Promare also looks interesting, but as with all movies, I don't like hunting down fansubs, so I'll wait for an official english release, if one ever happens.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: March 20, 2019, 06:28:26 AM »
I would recommend Kimestsu no Yaiba as I enjoy the manga and the stills I've seen for the anime look very good.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: March 25, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »
Fairy Gone looks like it could be very good. Its got the Grimgar LN author behind the scripts and (K)now Name doing the soundtrack.

The final eps of Run w/ the Wind has been sports anime perfection.  sadly it ends tomorrow :(. But its a wonderful anime, as good or better than Chihayafuru my all time fav sports anime. why is no one watching this???

its going to be rough holding out for the next season of The Promised neverland. Tho I might not bother, its a Kodansha anime, so this is probably the only season.

I spunked for netflix last month. So saw a few things there. Blame was excellent. Knights of sedonia seems decent enough. Same for Dragon prince. I couldn't get into Dragon Pilot (only saw 1.5 eps, does it get better?).

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: March 25, 2019, 07:46:17 PM »
Dragon Pilot was weird. I couldn't get into that.

Finished Volume 2 of RWBY, and proceded to plow through Volumes 3-5. Volume 2 was fun, but now that the stakes have ramped up, the writing has taken off, and I've really come to appreciate the story and characters more. I even like Nora now! And Ren. He actually has a personality, who knew? The animation's been steadily improving, though it still has yet to match the promo trailers in terms of fighting choreograhy. Even the best fights just seem bland in comparison. But if the trade-off is better pacing and a tighter narrative, I'll take it.

Oh, and it's nice to hear some of the tunes I've been listening to for years now in their intended context. Songs like "I Burn" and "The Royal Test" have that extra bit of punch to them, now that I can fully understand the meaning of the lyrics (though they still get a lot of it across on their own). I still don't like Volume 3's OP, though. Too harsh.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: March 27, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »
though it still has yet to match the promo trailers in terms of fighting choreograhy. Even the best fights just seem bland in comparison. But if the trade-off is better pacing and a tighter narrative, I'll take it.
Monty Oum, the guy behind the awesome fight choreographies died before season 3. You can feel the void it left in the serie.
Latest season is much better there though.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: March 27, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »
though it still has yet to match the promo trailers in terms of fighting choreograhy. Even the best fights just seem bland in comparison. But if the trade-off is better pacing and a tighter narrative, I'll take it.
Monty Oum, the guy behind the awesome fight choreographies died before season 3. You can feel the void it left in the serie.
Latest season is much better there though.

Yeah, I finished Volume 6 last night, and the fights there were stellar - even minor skirmishes were surprisingly fun to watch. I'm really looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.

I might check out Gen:Lock, too, if only because I'm a whore for Mecha shows...the previews haven't done it no favors, tbh. It seems really generic & undercooked. I'll wait for the full season to finish, just in case it surprises me.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:13:30 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: April 18, 2019, 08:59:31 PM »
All caught up with My Hero Academia, and what a ride that's been! I definitely can't wait for Season 4, now!

Gonna be a tough act to follow up. I figured I'd jump on One Punch Man S2, but that requires a Hulu subscription, so...I basically have nothing to watch this season except for Fairy Tail & Jojo. With that in mind. I figure I may as well embrace my inner shounen trash and get caught up on a bunch of series - Fairy Tail, Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, One Piece, Dragon Ball Super, and The Seven Deadly Sins - while breaking it up with the odd series here and there (mainly Votoms, Mob Psycho, Munto, Magi, and She-Ra).

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: April 19, 2019, 12:36:54 AM »
Dragon Ball Super has been the best thing to happen to DB in a long while.
I'd put that high up on the to-do list.

I can't wait until it resumes.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: April 22, 2019, 04:25:39 AM »
Finished The Seven Deadly Sins season 3. I'm not gona lie, while I enjoyed my time with it...it's pretty much Fairy Tail lite at this point, with all of its flaws, but fewer of its strengths. Gonna try to pick something different as a palette cleanser, then I think I'll take up Annubis' advice and continue Dragon Ball Super, at least for an arc or two. Honestly, since I'm so behind with that and Fairy Tail, I can't watch them all in one go.

EDIT: Sat down with She-Ra only to realize that I don't actually want to watch it. :T I gotta stop letting hype and nostalgia guide my viewing decisions, so I put on Mob Psycho instead. I've been meaning to watch this for years, but I keep forgetting about it. About 6 episodes deep, and I'm having a really good time. Seems like Season 2 is getting dubbed soon, so maybe I'll be able to get caught up sooner than anticipated.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:47:02 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: April 24, 2019, 06:35:40 AM »
Finished The Seven Deadly Sins season 3. I'm not gona lie, while I enjoyed my time with it...it's pretty much Fairy Tail lite at this point, with all of its flaws, but fewer of its strengths. Gonna try to pick something different as a palette cleanser, then I think I'll take up Annubis' advice and continue Dragon Ball Super, at least for an arc or two. Honestly, since I'm so behind with that and Fairy Tail, I can't watch them all in one go.
O.o That is an interesting interpretation. I would never have thought to make a comparison between those two series, and if I did Fairy Tail would not have been the good comparison. I don't know where season 3 of Seven Deadly Sins ends specifically, but I can think of two flaws in Fairy Tail that are not really present in Seven Deadly Sins. First is a lack of tension in Fairy Tail because friendship conquers all. Meanwhile in Seven Deadly Sins there are moments where the main characters do get their asses handed to them. Second would be the forced fetish bait in every arc of Fairy Tail. Although I don't know how far you are in Fairy Tail, so that might not yet be readily apparent (also could possibly be skipped over in filler arcs if the anime has those?).

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:17 AM »
EDIT: Finished Season 1 of Mob Psycho 100, and man what a ride! Looking forward to Season 2...which is already out, but the dub apparently comes out in a few days.

O.o That is an interesting interpretation. I would never have thought to make a comparison between those two series, and if I did Fairy Tail would not have been the good comparison. I don't know where season 3 of Seven Deadly Sins ends specifically, but I can think of two flaws in Fairy Tail that are not really present in Seven Deadly Sins. First is a lack of tension in Fairy Tail because friendship conquers all. Meanwhile in Seven Deadly Sins there are moments where the main characters do get their asses handed to them. Second would be the forced fetish bait in every arc of Fairy Tail. Although I don't know how far you are in Fairy Tail, so that might not yet be readily apparent (also could possibly be skipped over in filler arcs if the anime has those?).

Okay, I see we have very different problems with Fairy Tail. The fights are flashy with no substance, but it's always interesting to see how certain fighters are paired up or how they'll succeed. It's the weakest aspect of the series, but it's still just as entertaining. The series in general just has a lot of characters I love to see onscreen, and I'm always curious as to what they'll get up to next. My problem with it is the story structure and pacing, as well as an overreliance on twists, many of which can feel cheap and unearned, like half the arcs are being written on the fly, and that's even while skipping the filler arcs. Heck, some of the filler arcs are actually pretty clever. And that's the overall theme of the series, at least for me - it's a wonderfully imaginative series full of interesting characters and locales, and the series is always juggling a lot of different ideas, topics, story beats, etc. Even when it drops the ball, it's a spectacle to behold.

Going back to Seven Deadly Sins, it has a lot of the same qualities - a group of overpowered heroes who are already legends in their own right, adventuring around a magical land protecting others, while uncovering dark secrets that always seem to link up with their pasts somehow. There's tons of the whacky highjinks I loved from FT, especially when the other Holy Knights are involved - I love Gilthunder and his group, to name just a few - and the fights are always overthetop from the very start instead of building up to the bigger city-destroying fights that other shounen series usually do.

And that's a problem, really. It really hampers the sense of escalation, I mean we're already dealing with supermen, it's gonna take a lot of effort to make it seem like they're ever in any danger, yet they made it worse by making half the cast functionally immortal. And that apparently includes the talking pig. Just...wow. Only fights involving lesser characters or the ones who can actually die has any sense of tension, and that's before we get into the nitty gritty which...I'm not gonna get into since it's nowhere near a dealbreaker at this point. Even if 3 guys or 4 or 5 people literally can't be killed no matter what, it can still be fun to watch and see how they ultimately win. That's the point of a good hero story, especially if they set the characters so we want to see them succeed, which I definitely do. I love these characters, they're fun to watch. Except the princess and the talking pig, I would not shed a tear for them if they were killed off, even though I know they'll never truly be in danger, no matter how many times the show tries to fake me out on that.

My big problem is that this series kind of gets repetitive, and it's so, sooo bad when it comes to exposition. How many times are important people gonna be brought up as personal traumas for a character, only for that person to not be dead, often within the same episode, for increasingly contrived reasons? How many times is an important event gonna be brought up that everyone else conveniently forgot until it was important to the plot? And I'm not just talking about the outright amnesia that they also use way too frequently!

And What was the goddamn point of having everyone train in the Druid village? Seriously, was that just anime filler? No one gained anything from that experience, except for one guy who got his powers back, which was why they were there in the first place. Yet I think they spent 4 episodes on that, IIRC.

My point is, the story is kind of a mess. Some of it might just be from the adaptation, but that doesn't account for all of its stupidity. I only compared it to Fairy Tail because I watch them both for the same reasons, but I honestly feel like I've gotten a lot more out of FT than The Seven Deadly Sins. When comparing the two, I just feel that the highs aren't as high, and the lows are way lower, even when we're just talking about both series around 50 or so episodes in. Sorry if that caused some confusion.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:09:39 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: April 25, 2019, 09:39:00 PM »
Tried to watch Season 2 of Mob Psycho 100 and found out that the dub is going to release weekly, and episode 13 is just Mob embarassing himself multiple times over, which I just can't bear to watch. Guess I'll put that on the backburner for now.

Then I tried to watch Fairy Gone, but it's been spending so much of the beginning setting up the characters and world with flat-out exposition dumps that I think I'll put a hold on this, too. It's pretty and the story might go somewhere, so I'll wait until it gets there...

Demon Slayer also had a clumsy start, with a dull lead up to a painfully obvious tragic event that still managed to have no impact on me, and a massive info-dump during what's supposed to be a tense standoff, that just winds up feeling like a boardroom pitch meeting for the series. I kind of knew this would take a while to get its footing, though, so again: I'll wait until it has had more time to flesh things out before I try it again.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: April 26, 2019, 06:54:14 AM »
My big problem is that this series kind of gets repetitive, and it's so, sooo bad when it comes to exposition. How many times are important people gonna be brought up as personal traumas for a character, only for that person to not be dead, often within the same episode, for increasingly contrived reasons? How many times is an important event gonna be brought up that everyone else conveniently forgot until it was important to the plot? And I'm not just talking about the outright amnesia that they also use way too frequently!

And What was the goddamn point of having everyone train in the Druid village? Seriously, was that just anime filler? No one gained anything from that experience, except for one guy who got his powers back, which was why they were there in the first place. Yet I think they spent 4 episodes on that, IIRC.

My point is, the story is kind of a mess. Some of it might just be from the adaptation, but that doesn't account for all of its stupidity. I only compared it to Fairy Tail because I watch them both for the same reasons, but I honestly feel like I've gotten a lot more out of FT than The Seven Deadly Sins. When comparing the two, I just feel that the highs aren't as high, and the lows are way lower, even when we're just talking about both series around 50 or so episodes in. Sorry if that caused some confusion.
I've got to disagree about the story being a mess. Seven Deadly Sins is one of the better shonen manga out there (no comment on whether the anime is a good adaptation or not since I haven't seen it). To address some specific points:
-I remember the dead person being revealed as alive maybe three times? I wouldn't be shocked if I forgot one, but I don't think it is used that often.
-I have no idea of what you are talking about regarding everyone forgetting something. I can think of two instances of amnesia magic being used (not counting Gowther messing with people's minds), but I'm blanking on instances where people conveniently forget stuff
-Druid Village was not anime original filler, although looking at the episode list, two of those episodes were more focused on Ban's backstory, so having everyone training there was probably just to keep them busy while those events happened

Also regarding Fairy Tail, the problems I mentioned become worse the longer the manga went on, so if you are only 50 episodes in, well you probably have a long way left to fall. >.>