Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4890 on: April 26, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »
My big problem is that this series kind of gets repetitive, and it's so, sooo bad when it comes to exposition. How many times are important people gonna be brought up as personal traumas for a character, only for that person to not be dead, often within the same episode, for increasingly contrived reasons? How many times is an important event gonna be brought up that everyone else conveniently forgot until it was important to the plot? And I'm not just talking about the outright amnesia that they also use way too frequently!

And What was the goddamn point of having everyone train in the Druid village? Seriously, was that just anime filler? No one gained anything from that experience, except for one guy who got his powers back, which was why they were there in the first place. Yet I think they spent 4 episodes on that, IIRC.

My point is, the story is kind of a mess. Some of it might just be from the adaptation, but that doesn't account for all of its stupidity. I only compared it to Fairy Tail because I watch them both for the same reasons, but I honestly feel like I've gotten a lot more out of FT than The Seven Deadly Sins. When comparing the two, I just feel that the highs aren't as high, and the lows are way lower, even when we're just talking about both series around 50 or so episodes in. Sorry if that caused some confusion.
I've got to disagree about the story being a mess. Seven Deadly Sins is one of the better shonen manga out there (no comment on whether the anime is a good adaptation or not since I haven't seen it). To address some specific points:
-I remember the dead person being revealed as alive maybe three times? I wouldn't be shocked if I forgot one, but I don't think it is used that often.
-I have no idea of what you are talking about regarding everyone forgetting something. I can think of two instances of amnesia magic being used (not counting Gowther messing with people's minds), but I'm blanking on instances where people conveniently forget stuff
-Druid Village was not anime original filler, although looking at the episode list, two of those episodes were more focused on Ban's backstory, so having everyone training there was probably just to keep them busy while those events happened

Also regarding Fairy Tail, the problems I mentioned become worse the longer the manga went on, so if you are only 50 episodes in, well you probably have a long way left to fall. >.>

Oh boy, I guess I'll address these one at a time:

1) That's too many, especially when two out of the 3 were introduced in one episode, and revealed to be alive in the next. Both Vahn and Diane had important people in their lives that we're supposed to believe had effect on them, one of which literally just seemed to come out of nowhere, though them being a live also makes sense to the point where Diane looks like an idiot for assuming she was dead...

2) It was mostly with King, Diane, and Meliodas where they seemed to forget about inportant things, like where they're from, people they cared about, and that important events happened to them.

As for outright amnesia, I'm counting those times Gowther messes with people's heads, because more often than not, what he manipulates and why so far has made little sense outside of "the writer needed an excuse to take them out of the picture and/or explore their past," which becomes painfully obvious the more often it happens.

3) That might explain it, and I guess it was just supposed to be silly, but I still can't help but laugh at how
Spoiler: show
Meliodas supposedly has to get rid of his emotions in order to get back his powers, which he doesn't, he just takes it in a different direction and gets his powers back anyways; the princess had to awaken her powers, but the test was rigged so she couldn't succeed; meanwhile, everyone else either gets a minor power-up that amounts to jack-squat, accomplishes absolutely nothing, or comes out worse than they started. It really made it feel like a waste of time.

And at the end of the day, my big problem with the story is that too many things seem to happen in ways that feel contrived, and the story progression feels unnatural because of it. Throughout Season 3, side characters have been killed off en masse, lots of revelations have been made that challenge what we know about who the good guys and bad guys are, the history Britannia itself is slowly revealed, some characters grow while others seem to regress.

Yet, all that is underpinned by confusing choices that seem to happen just so the story can happen, unnatural exposition dumps that stop the story dead in its tracks, the large cast I enjoyed being reduced while the faults of the characters who get the most screen time become increasingly apparent and aggrevating, and rules being introduced that are quickly broken. All with stakes that are supposed to be increasing, but never really feel that ways because too many of the main characters seem to either shrug off battle damage or deal with all their problems effortlessly.

The ingredients are there for a great story, but the excecution has been lacking. Again, that might be the adaptation's fault. Realistically, if all I wanted was to read an intriguing story, I'd just read the manga. But what I want more is the combined audio-visual experience that animation can bring. I'll probably watch season 4 whenever it comes out, but I certainly hope it improves.

4) I'm actually well into the 200s of Fairy Tail, I'm just saying that even at an equivelant point in the story (There are only 52 episodes of The Seven Deadly Sins so far), it had more opportunities to capitalize on its strengths and left a stronger impression on me. It wasn't perfect, especially early on, but I certainly had less to complain about.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:17:54 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: April 27, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
I realize that there is probably no point in arguing this further. Tastes are subjective, and I can't force you to change how you feel. I will note however that I believe that there are no more amnesia plots left...okay let me rephrase that, no one gets a new case of amnesia for the remainder of the plot as far as I can recall. There are still two characters who don't remember parts of their past that will remember them later in the plot.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: April 27, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »
I realize that there is probably no point in arguing this further. Tastes are subjective, and I can't force you to change how you feel. I will note however that I believe that there are no more amnesia plots left...okay let me rephrase that, no one gets a new case of amnesia for the remainder of the plot as far as I can recall. There are still two characters who don't remember parts of their past that will remember them later in the plot.

True, and that's why I usually don't talk much about anime, it's not like games where I can focus on mechanics. Thanks for telling me about the lack of further amnesia plots, kind of. :P Hopefully the ones who still forgot things doesn't include Diane & King, since their relationship reseting so often has gone beyond annoying at this point, especially when they have the potential to be my favorite characters in this series.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: May 03, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »
Watched ep 1 of Fairy Gone, and then shelved it. Might be OK but I'll wait for the series to end and then binge it.

I can wait out AoT too for at least a month or so.

So been going back to older series I missed. About 15 eps into Knights of Sedonia. Watchable space battles, story seems decent enough but wow the characters are all dull. Plus why the harem?

Also watched about 1.5 seasons of Dragon Prince. Its of course very avatar-y which is a good thing. And while I understood the reason for the lack of violence in Korra-Avatar as it was a nickeloden property, kind of disapointed that its not more PG-13ish now that they are Netflix.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: May 03, 2019, 10:27:55 PM »
Does Dragon Prince still have the sluggish framerate like in the initial trailers? I got mixed feedback on that when last I looked.

Anyways, I'm up to episode 42 in Dragon Ball Super. I'm having a good time, and I probably would've finished by now, but things keep coming up so I haven't been able to watch it all week. Hopefully I can get around to it tomorrow...especially now that Adblock isn't working for some reason, which makes most of the internet unusable for me. Got nothing else to distract me...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: May 04, 2019, 11:50:07 AM »
especially now that Adblock isn't working for some reason, which makes most of the internet unusable for me. Got nothing else to distract me...
You are probably using Firefox.
Do the steps here to fix it: https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/certificate-issue-causing-add-ons-to-be-disabled-or-fail-to-install/39047

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: May 04, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »
especially now that Adblock isn't working for some reason, which makes most of the internet unusable for me. Got nothing else to distract me...
You are probably using Firefox.
Do the steps here to fix it: https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/certificate-issue-causing-add-ons-to-be-disabled-or-fail-to-install/39047

Thank you. All the other "fixes" I tried didn't work so I had given up, but this one actually worked out.

Anyways, I'm finally on the Future Trunks Arc in Dragon Ball Super after taking a break. After watching all those silly filler episodes, I'm definitely ready for some serious events to unfold. Though it did cause me to have an interesting dream about the cast of Dragon Ball Super encountering two female space mafia members named Oya and Don Ko. Complete with the same kind of silly highjinks and weird powers I had come to expect from this show, like Don Ko's power that makes men unable to refuse her requests...which really just means no one can say "no" even if they mean to, but since Goku is so nice he naturally has to commit when she asks for his assistance in a job. Or Oya's power to remotely amplify any energy, including emotional, which she herself is not immune to, leaving her prone to childish outbursts.

And honestly, that's what I've always loved about the Dragon Ball franchise: It's so creative and fun that I can't help but be inspired by it! And DBS really does make me feel like a kid again in all the right ways! I'm really looking frward to watching more!

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: May 17, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »
Took a break from DBS to watch a few other things:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures - Stardust Crusaders - They FINALLY made it to Egypt! I've been trying to trudge my way through this season for 4 freakin' years, and I FiNaLlY get to see them arrive at their destination!

...now if only I could remember why they needed to get to Egypt in the first place...

(and before the Jojo fans crusify me, this season took on a "monster of the day" formula that I can't stand in any show. It's a testament to its quality that I finished any episodes at all, let alone a full season. I just can't wait for this whole road trip business to be over and we can finally have some decent pacing again)

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection - I went to the theaters to watch this, and it was definitely worth it! It was great seeing the cast again, the plot fit the timeframe it had to work with well enough, and the action as as stellar as the franchise as always had. I did have a few quibles with the story (It's not airtight, simply put), but damn was it exhilerating to watch the whole way through!

...and now I find out that this was just phase 1 of a 10 years plan to flood the market with Code Geass related content...I'm not sure how I feel about that...

SSSS.Gridman - I finally got around to watching this the whole way through, and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was, especially towards the end. It definitely had some neat twists that got to me even when I knew they were coming, and overall, I was just glad to see something I was nostalgic for (I had a VHS tape of Super Samurai Syber Squad as a kid that I watched pretty frequently) presented in a new light that feels like it grew up & matured, just as I did.

I also rewatched a couple episodes and scenes of old school classics that I loved, like Dragon Ball Z & Robotech, and really helped to remind me why I love anime. There's an endless ocean of classic shows just waiting to be experienced, it really gets me excited!

Speaking of: did anyone else notice that Crunchyroll has been getting a lot of old shows this season, mainly from Discotek? A lot of them are ones I've been meaning to get to for a long time now, and now that I'm really in the mood, I might dive into them soon. I still gotta watch the Future Trunks arc in Dragon Ball Super first, but I know what to watch when I need a palette cleanser!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:04:06 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: May 17, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
The new season doesn't have much for me, atleast not conveniently available, so I'm only following Sarazanmai, Mix, Dororo and Shield Hero (I'm not even sure why!). To fill that gap, I'm rewatching Gundam 00. Again. I think it's only been two years since the last time? In any case, I wanted some comfort food and for some reason I picked the series that's going to make me cry. Okay, I confess, I know very well why I picked it. I wanted to watch something with relatable characters, so of course I go with the series featuring a four-eyes in a fugly cardigan who keeps complaining the people around him are unfit for their jobs. And yes, I'm self-aware enough to realise there is nothing constructive about this. (In my defence, the person I complain about is actually unfit for her job and we'd be better off if she realised this. And though also of questionable style, my cardigans and sweaters are cuter, even the ugly pink one!)

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: May 17, 2019, 11:12:59 PM »
AoT's 1st few episodes of season 3 part 2 are some of the best ones of the entire series.

Oh and The 12 Kingdoms and Blue Seed are on crunchyroll now. They are 2 of my top 10s. 12 Kingdoms is an Isekai, and one w/ excellent story telling and no tropes (the 1st 5 episodes are a bit slow, but stick w/ it, its fantastic). Blue Seed is yea looking dated, but its inuyasha w/ a plot. Only disapointing part is that I don't think CR has the omake theater skits.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: May 21, 2019, 12:19:03 AM »
Got around to watching the 3rd special of Double Decker.

I'm pretty sure the show tanked which is sad because it was great.
If Minami-ke got 3 season, maybe there's hope for another season of that.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: May 28, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »
Does Dragon Prince still have the sluggish framerate like in the initial trailers? I got mixed feedback on that when last I looked.

It seemed well animated at least as well as Korra/TLA was. Usually I'm not picky about how the animation looks as long its not Berserk bad tho.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: May 29, 2019, 09:04:40 AM »
My problem is that the trailer on Netflix and Youtube looks like a video game cutscene with the settings too high for my computer - noticably sluggish movement, nothing looks fluid or natural to me. I haven't watched the series, though. I don't want to start something that could make me physically ill to look at, only for it to remain in my "continue watching" section until the end of time...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: June 14, 2019, 10:50:56 PM »
Space Battleship Yamato 2202 - Up to episode 5 now, and this has honestly been excellent so far, with back-to-back surprises. I was afraid they were just doing a sequel for the sake of it, but so far it definitely feels like a natural continuation of 2199. I'm looking forward to watching more...I got distracted by all the E3 buzz, and forgot all about for about it a month now. Oops.

Gundam Build Fighters - I wasn't gonna watch this. It looked like Yu-Gi-Oh with Gundam in it, a naked advertisement for Gunpla with no substance. But damnit, once I saw some of the battle animations and enjoyed the honestly excellent Battle Prologue ONA, I finally gave in and watched some to try and get my Gundam fix.

I can't watch this. I hate the writing, the characters, the braindead plot, the annoying dialogues, how they bent over backwards to make everything be about plastic models being animated by some fictional particle when scanning the models and making virtual models based on them would've been a more sensible option. Eventually I started skipping to the battle sequences, and even with all the pretty animation, Gundam battles just aren't very exciting if I don't know or care about the context as to why they're fighting. I had seen some scenes on Youtube that cut all the character portions out, and I think it's telling when seeing those scenes as they were intended had far less impact. "Nothing" was literally better than what they wrote to justify these battles. Such a waste.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet - Sometimes, life is all about perspective. I hated the movie version of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin when I saw them a year or two ago, feeling like they were too childish, rushed, and out of touch with the franchise it's trying desperately to emulate. And I still hold to that to a degree, some of the scenes are down right cringeworthy, or at least head-scratching. It's also far longer than it needs to be, with some scenes feeling unnecessarily drawn out, or are arguably even exist as pure filler.

But boy, is it better than Build Fighters! Like a camel to an oasis, I needed this - political intrigue, interesting characters with goals and interwoven backstories, tragedy and triumph! Sure, it has cool battles, but here they actually mean something. I know the stakes, I have someone to root for, every movement counts, every minute I'm on the edge of my seat, and afterwards, there are consequences and things to ruminate on. A good story only enhances the action. I'm only 7 episodes in so far, but I've been enjoying every minute of it, warts & all!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:01:25 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: June 14, 2019, 11:12:30 PM »
From what I've seen of Yamato 2202 so far, its kinda meh. Like a B or C-level Marvel movie, there's a ton of flash and circumstance, and it does some of OG Yamato's 2nd season oddities better than the original version, but it lost more than it gained overall. I won't say that I regret watching it, but I wouldn't have made it a priority like I did knowing now, what I now know.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.