Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 1149768 times)

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4920 on: September 21, 2019, 06:08:20 AM »
Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara
Feels like this is getting old. Wonder if they can revive the whole thing with this.
HAHAHHAAHAHAHHA
HAAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
*breathes*
HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA
Wait, you're serious? Let me laugh harder. :P

I don't watch the anime, so I don't know where season 3 ended...but if my guess is right from looking at the episode titles, it looks like only the final manga arc is left. And the final arc is....interesting.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: September 23, 2019, 03:40:18 AM »
Feels like this is getting old. Wonder if they can revive the whole thing with this.
HAHAHHAAHAHAHHA
*breathes*
HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA

I don't watch the anime, so I don't know where season 3 ended...but if my guess is right from looking at the episode titles, it looks like only the final manga arc is left. And the final arc is....interesting.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about calling the final arc interesting. I hope so, because it was seriously pointless, and the ending was even more so.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: September 23, 2019, 05:37:08 AM »
I think he means that you're about to walk into an Usagi Drop situation (or whichever anime/manga was about a single male raising conditioning a little girl into marrying him).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: September 23, 2019, 06:55:03 AM »

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about calling the final arc interesting. I hope so, because it was seriously pointless, and the ending was even more so.
I mean interesting in the sense of "How the hell did the author think this was a good idea."

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: September 27, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »

I mean interesting in the sense of "How the hell did the author think this was a good idea."

Oh, yeah. Completely agree. It was really bad. I really enjoyed the series up to that point despite the gratuitous food-gasms. But that final arc was really dumb.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: September 27, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »
HAHAHHAAHAHAHHA
*breathes*
HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA

I dropped this... and it seems that was a good call huh?

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: September 27, 2019, 07:27:01 PM »
Probably. I wish that I had <_<

Actually, I wish that a lot. I guess I should be more selective of the stuff I stick with until the end. Ah well.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: September 28, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »

I dropped this... and it seems that was a good call huh?
The final arc is all over the place. Part of the problem is that the authors seem to have lost their food consultant around the time of the final arc, so instead of using real cooking ideas, they go overly shonen in food cooking techniques and it gets incredibly stupid. Part of the problem is that the arc is very Erina focused, but they have nothing to do with her so it ends up going nowhere and then backwards for a little bit before she ends up exactly where she started the arc. Meanwhile none of the other characters really get good development either. There is at least one good moment, but the whole thing is probably not worth it except for train wreck watching.

Probably. I wish that I had <_<

Actually, I wish that a lot. I guess I should be more selective of the stuff I stick with until the end. Ah well.
You just need to learn to swap gears when a series starts getting bad from "I'm enjoying this because it is good," to "I'm enjoying this because it is entertaining to watch it crash and burn in a spectacular fashion." That is the only way I was able to finish Bleach because I had to see how stupid it got at the end.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: September 28, 2019, 08:48:15 PM »
Bleach was awful. I gave up on that one during the Fullbring arc. I picked it back up when I heard it was entering the final arc, but it was not an improvement. The series really should've ended with Aizen's defeat. I kind of think the author intended that, but Shonen Jump being Shonen Jump they weren't ready to let that IP go just yet. I checked out the last few chapters and the ending just to see what all happened even though I didn't really know what was happening. But that ending was so stupid. Food Wars at least did better than that even if that isn't saying much.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: October 09, 2019, 09:44:42 PM »
I didn't know netflix had a Kabaneri movie so I tuned into that. Storywise its still as dumb as rocks but its a still a lot of fun.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: December 27, 2019, 10:06:07 PM »
A bit late this time, but it's mostly because I can't say I'm that excited about this one.

https://www.livechart.me/winter-2020/all

Series

Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season
Well, by 4th season, it's for those that still watch it.

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu: Shin Henshuu-ban
OMG! A NEW RE:ZEROooooooh wait this is the same thing just in 1h format.

Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia
I tried to get into FGO to try and understand why it's popular, but I can only say that it's pandering and probably only for people that play the cellphone game.

Isekai Quartet 2
Now this is my kind of pandering. I'm guessing Slime is in for sure. Not sure who else will be added.
Ken would be cool.

Somali to Mori no Kamisama
Golem finds human. Humans extinct. Monsters everywhere. Monsters eat human.
Golem likes little girl.
This is an ok 'moe girl needs to be protected' story.

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu
This is like SAO's boring cousin.

Nekopara
Watch this if you want cute catgirls doing cute things.
There's nothing else in here.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T
Wait... which part of the story is this? I'm totally lost.

OVA (I'm not including manga specials / DVD bonus here anymore)

Strike the Blood: Kieta Seisou-hen
*sigh* I know I'll watch it and not be proud of myself for it.

Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 5th Season
Well, if you've been waiting all this time for Tenchi Muyou... here it is.

Movies

Shirobako Movie
Shirobako was a great serie. If you're interested in anime production, it's the gold standard and pretty realistic compared the its clones.

Made in Abyss: Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei
MiA is so rough and depressing... yet good.

Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna
You know how Digimon Tri was the worst thing ever?
Well it doesn't exist anymore and this is supposed to be the thing that replaces it.

Hibike! Euphonium Movie: Chikai no Finale
Part of me just wonders why a fuckton of movies instead of just making a serie.

Frame Arms Girl: Kyakkya Ufufu na Wonderland
I liked the short serie for this. If I can somehow catch this, I'll go watch it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: January 04, 2020, 12:21:24 AM »
Yeah, wow, I completely forgot that a new season started. Since The Seven Dadly Sins belongs to Netflix, I guess I'll have to wait a while until it's finished before I can watch it, yeah? Not that I'd watch it week-to-week, anyways. My brother and I both tried to watch My Hero Academia weekly as sort of a bonding thing, but neither of us can tolerate the anticipation, so now we're watching it monthly, I guess.

That leaves Somali and the Forest Spirit as the only other series that looks interesting, IMO. I'm not usually into Slice of Life, but the trailer really captivated me somehow. I dunno, I guess stories about little kids connecting with something distinctly inhuman really strikes a cord with me. We'll see if I'm just being suckered, or if it has something going for it, I still haven't watched it yet.

Either way, this season is definitely a wash. Which is fine, we had a few really good seasons in a row that I'm still trying to get caught up on. Not to mention I tend to spend most of my anime time on older series, anyways. Especially now that I signed up for VRV, so I also get HiDive and the two or three shows that only barely warrant the extra $13 a year I'm spending vs simply buying yearly subscriptions for both anime services. Really, I'm just paying for convenience at this point.

So far I've watched:

Flip Flappers - Binged the entire series in two days, and man, what a ride! I went in assuming it was stream-of-consciouness nonsense, and that's definitely what it seemed like for a while, but eventually it connected the dots and came to a satisfying conclusion. I'm not saying it was a masterpiece or anything, but I still think it was smartly-written, and I'm glad I watched it. Considering I started my decade as an anime fan with Kaiba, which had a similar initial expectations and surprising twists, and Flip Flappers tended to change entire genres between almost every episode, I really think this was a great way to end 2019, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for the medium!

Gasaraki - I got nostalgic for 90's mecha and remembered that I never finished this one, so I gave it another go. And I gotta say: No matter how many times I see it, I'm still floored at how terrible the first episode is. It's slow, meandering, throws non-stop techno-jargon, and in the end, you're just left with 20+ minutes that don't make any sense whatsoever to the audience  until you're further in...and even then, it's still a rough sit just due to the plodding pacing. I admire its attempts to adhere to realism in certain areas, like the news broadcasts couldn't have been more spot on if they tried, and good lord do these machines look and behave like something I'd expect to see on the battlefields of the near-future...but all of that realism is undercut by the fact that dude starts dancing until he gets hypertension (seriously, 500 bpm?! I'm surpised his heart didn't burst!) and has a psychic battle with a girl in a cocoon while they try to summon a black hole. No one is going to take this seriously!

RWBY Volume 7 - I'm all caught up now, and this series is still a treat. The next episode is tomorrow, but I still can't wait to watch it! I wish I had more to say, but overall, it's just a good show. Honestly, it feels like a Tales game turned into an anime - has that same comfort food aspect to its story and characters, and everything's just as vibrant, not to mention the action definitely feels Tales-inspired to a degree. I guess it also helps that constantly looks like an in-engine cutscene. At least they upgraded to a PS4 by Volume 5. =P

Oh yeah, and I also reupped my Funimation subscription, so I also started The Rolling Girls and Gun X Sword over there. Haven't gotten far in either of them, so all I can really say is that Rolling Girl is very pretty to watch, which is fitting since I started it and Flip Flappers just to remind me how vibrant and imaginative animation can be. I gotta say, it's really impressive to look at a lot of the time. Gun X Sword is pretty cool, too, though I hope they don't get too creepy with the teenage girl that declared herself Van's wife.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: January 04, 2020, 01:38:55 AM »
Gun X Sword is a nice ride.