Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:18:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327724 Posts in 13418 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  "No plans" for new Saga or Mana games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: "No plans" for new Saga or Mana games  (Read 6289 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »

The SaGa and Mana series are piles of shit (except FF Adventure and Secret of Mana, fuck those who like Seiken 3), so I'm not hurt by this news.

The new ones are always the ones who are wrong the most.

He's not actually new, he's been registered since early 2008. He just pops up every so often to spew stuff like this then slink away for a few months or so.

Also, I know where you got your list.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »

Yeah I nicked it. It's a fair cop.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »

Losing SaGa is disappointing. Unlimited soured the well and The Last Remnant could've been decent if it had only come out on the PC instead of leading off with that shitty 360 port.

Mana, however, hasn't had it's creator at the helm since Secret and since then the series has been going steadily downhill. SD3 was a decent copy of the formula, improved in some ways but messed up others. Legend was a very beautiful and very simplistic side-scrolling brawler with way too much emphasis on exploration for a game not designed for it, and also an OCD nerd's wet dream/nightmare in that forging/tempering bullshit. Sword was a remake that retconned it's source material into a pale shadow of its former self as well as bogging the game down into a massive grindfest with arbitrary game mechanics tacked on in the worst possible ways at every turn. And the entirety of the World compilation was filled with either shoddy generic crap or poorly conceived gimmicks wrapped up in a game. Also pretty much everyone of talent from the start of the series has long since been scattered to the ends of the video game industry.

The only reason why Dragon Quest is still around is that Horii and Toriyama are still on board. It's ridiculous how the series itself is so conservative that its managed to loop around into being fairly liberal by SE's standards.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »

Well, when you say "that's why I crossed off Valkyrie Profile" then you kind of need to be called out on it...

And Mana DID keep the original creator after Secret, it's just he didn't want to repeat the game and in doing so screwed things up. Ironic how after he turned his back on the Zelda-style gameplay of Secret of Mana he left SE to create a company that would go on to remake Ocarina of Time.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 11:07:35 PM »

Well, when you say "that's why I crossed off Valkyrie Profile" then you kind of need to be called out on it..

Actually I copied the list, but had to manually do the crossing out of the titles on this forum again, so :P

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »

I gave up on Square during the PS2 days. I played FFX, liked it, but it was clearly a departure from their PSX days, which was more or less a an extension of the SNES era.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »

And in all the Mana complaining, have people forgotten Children of Mana?  Of course, because that game was mediocre at best.  I compared it to a pretty girl with a sexy voice but a vapid personality.  Fun for a couple of days, then I got bored. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Warshade
CustomTitle

cronotimeshero
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »

This is truely sad news for sure. So with square basically releasing only their top most popular franchises and Namco not bothering to release their games outside japan anymore at all. Who is the top RPG dev we can look to? Atlus or NIS america? There is some great ports remakes and original RPGs on hand helds but on consoles they seem to be dying, this is more proof.

IF MY FATE IS TO DIE, I MUST SIMPLY LAUGH.
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »

For me the problem is that most everyone involved in the creation of Squaresoft's most beloved games is gone now. They lost large chunks of employees and several creative powerhouses to Monolith Soft, Brownie Brown, Sacnoth / Nautilus, and a whole bunch of other splinter companies. Sakaguchi left to found Mistwalker, and Matsuno departed after Final Fantasy XII. Others like Uematsu, Mitsuda and Kato went freelance, and though they didn't completely sever their ties to the company, they certainly started to play a less prominent role.

Of course old people going out and new ones coming in is part of the life cycle of any company, but I'm not convinced SquEnix have gone out of their way to find adequate replacements for some of the fantastic talents they used to have. I don't think it's a coincidence that when they do do something right it's usually because of the involvement of some of the staff from their golden years, nor that Dragon Quest, which as Aeolus noted still has most of its original key staff, remains just about their most consistent series. Part of me wants to see them give another shake to older franchises, but part of me believes there's hardly anyone at the company capable of making something good out of them.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »

So, Square is suffering here and they will continue to make countless Final Fantasy spin offs when they could go back and possibly make another Einhander, a sequel to Threads of Fate, maybe even a new Tobal/Ehrgeiz/Bouncer type game.  Since the merger of Square and Enix, the only games I can think of that were enjoyable were, Final Fantasy XII, XIII and Musashi Samurai Legend.  I don't count VP 2: Silmeria and Nier since they were developed by Tri-Ace and Cavia Inc.  Although with the Square Enix name branded on them, let's get a new Drakengard or Valkyrie Profile game.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 08:26:23 PM »

^Not exactly likely to ever get a new Drakengard or Nier given how Cavia was sucked up into AQ Interactive which has since been bought out by Marvelous Entertainment. God only knows where Yoko Taro is and what horrible things he's planning to do the children characters of his next game.

And in all the Mana complaining, have people forgotten Children of Mana?  Of course, because that game was mediocre at best.  I compared it to a pretty girl with a sexy voice but a vapid personality.  Fun for a couple of days, then I got bored. 

I'm pretty sure that, at one time in the distant past, I've peg CoM squarely between Summon Night: Twin Age and From the Abyss in terms of mediocre dungeon crawlers on the DS. Has a better gimmick than FtA's sole gimmick (or anything for that matter) skill stealing (compared to Children's Pinball of Mana) but doesn't even compare to SNTA's multiple PC characters, more balance gameplay, and general ascetics.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:43 AM »

Semi-relevant, but I saw that squeenix was always considering reboots.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/22/square-enix-always-thinking-about-reboots/

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 07:06:59 AM »

I liked Children of Mana myself, though I can't say I remember much about it. Played through it once and never looked back.

Really, all it made me realize was that the Mana series was never one that was that great to begin with. Amazing storybook art style and music aside, the games have have basically stayed the same for a long time...except they seem to be removing more features constantly. With Legend, we lost the continuous, connected world, which is something I love, and then in Children there's very few extra skills to play with at all.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »

And then in Dawn of Mana everything was just shit.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 11:20:09 AM »

SaGa is no real loss, I still consider SaGa Frontier to be one of the worst jRPGs I have ever come across, never tried Unlimited, but as far as I know SaGa 2 was the only one that was half decent anyway. Mana is a shame though, but I'm fairly sure they'll make a new one eventually. Action RPGs are in popular demand these days so the Mana formula should still work.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: