Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327544 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Do gamers see time differently?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Do gamers see time differently?  (Read 2815 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »

No and infinite release schedules is why I stopped giving a shit about games.

Additionally, if someone asks if you live in your parents basement...

<Dude> Bro, you still live in your mom's basement?
<Bro> Nope. I live in YOUR mom's basement.
<Dude> OH, sniz-ZAP!

And then they fucked.

Also the best part of adult life is the moment when you have a really well paying job and you can finally afford all that stupid plastic crap you wanted when you were ten. Three bottles of Jaeger and a Toys R Us gift card later, you're sifting through a back of plastic velociraptors and snorting GI Joes of a hooker's ass (and that hooker is your landlord).

Fridays !!

(And I'm talking some TGI Fridays up in this bitch)
(I think the saddest thing I ever did on vacation was going to walmart and fridays every night in the evening cause everything is closed. Haggerstown, Maryland is sort of boring when your dad is a stupid cunt that refuses to do things).
(Green bean fries are frucking dreliculous tho)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:08:47 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »

Not too sure about my own maturity but I know I have 10X more patience than my non-gamer friends. And actually as I am typing I have thought that I am also much "younger at heart". I don't know about the correlation (or lack thereof) that gaming has given my attitudes but I know it's fact that I joke more, laugh more and I don't "sweat the small shit" as much as the vast majority of my friends (so maybe I am more immature, dunno, don't care, lol). Now all of that might be simply personality as to be honest I don't have any friends my age who are gamers, so I can't really compare. Would be an interesting study though...anyone need a graduate thesis?

Everything's Eventual
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »

"Sweating the small shit" is hardly a sign of maturity.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »

I'm not sure you can define maturity. I was simply making a point that I have a more relaxed mentality.

Everything's Eventual
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »

I tend to ignore drama myself, It's unhealthy.

I don't think gamers see time differently, I do think there is a large gap between gamers and consumers that have become gamers. So in 2011, we have a diverse group of gamers. We are not a group that thinks alike, like some kind of "click" group that can't see outside the square. Enjoying the same thing for so many years probably gives the illusion of time warp :)  It doe's only seem like yesterday that I was hanging out for Snes Mortal Kombat, Im confusing things.

No gamers don't see time differently
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 11:19:44 PM »

I'm 23 and this is the first time in a long time I've really felt home somewhere. I'm sure there's a stupid childhood misconception to pry out of this if I filter it through some metaphorical mirror in reverse, but...

I'm really confused about a lot of things. I feel weird about things. My perception of time is jacked but not cause of gaming.

It's an hour and a half by highway from the town I grew up in to the town I'm living now. It was about an hour from the town I grew up in to the town I went to college (the first time) in.

When I was an undergrad I'd walk out to Walmart for fun and it'd take about forty minutes. Forty minutes to cover a span of about two miles, which would by car be about... I don't know, thirty miles? I can walk from my apartment to the downtown, here, in about an hour and half. Same thing.

I could call someone when I start walking and they could stay at home the entire time whereas I'd end up in an entirely different place.

One time I walked into the middle of nowhere. It was about 6 hours round trip. At work I'm pretty much sitting in one place 8 hours a day.

Every time I play Chrono Cross and hear Dream of the Shore for the first time I'm twelve again and hearing it for the FIRST first time. I got Tales of Symphonia when I was 16 and played most of it that summer but played it intermittently since then. Mentally though it's like there never was that pause.

Time doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Shit's fucked up and love is all you need.

o/` I do not dream o/`

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 04:13:03 AM »

"Sweating the small shit" is hardly a sign of maturity.

So it is a sign of maturity?
Even if it is hardly, it still is a sign.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »

Hmmm. I'm 36, been married for 12 years, and have a 10 year old son. I'm also a game, book, garden, movie...geek.
My sense of time has never been screwed up because of playing games. That just seems silly to me. hell, if anything, my gardening habit would be the culprit. You realize how much patience you need to be gardener? How much TIME has to go by before a plant really and truly becomes what you hoped it would be in the beginning? A lot.
There are so few instant gratification hobbies out there that to single out gaming is just...odd.
Movies take forever to make. Books can take forever to come out(Are you a Song of Ice and Fire fan?).
On and on...

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 10:20:14 PM »

@Plants

HEY NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC HOW LONG TILL YOU START SELLING WOLLEMIAS AGAIN AND FOR A REASONABLE PRICE.

@Maturity

23, just bought some Pokemans from McDonalds, totally employed (actual job. Not custodial), not living in a basement.

Feels good man.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: