Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327769 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  WRPG virgin no more!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: WRPG virgin no more!  (Read 6474 times)
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »

Kind of playing devil's advocate here since I'm generally more fond of Japanese games, but I'm a girl and I've never had a problem with Western art direction. I loved the visuals of the Baldur's Gate games and Planescape Torment, and The Witcher 2 is just about the most impressive looking game I've ever seen. It's true that I do tend toward softer, more cartoonish art, but my (also female) friend swears by a more realistic approach and swoons over the graphics of games like Uncharted and Mass Effect. So I'd be inclined to say it's less of a male-female thing and more one of personal taste.

Now if you're having a go at games for not presenting compelling female characters from a writing perspective a lot of the time, then there I'm with you. But it's something that's getting better and better. And I wouldn't say Western games are any more guilty of it than Japanese ones. Heck if nothing else, Western RPGs usually offer you the chance to play as a girl if you want to, as well as giving you some degree of control over her appearance and personality. Yes there are token bimbos in some Western games, but that's true of Japanese games too. Heck there are plenty of Japanese games that trade either heavily or completely on female sex appeal. Ar Tonelico 3, anyone?

Oh, and reading back on previous posts, was Uncharted being cited as a game that isn't really appealing to women? Really? I thought both Drake and Elena were fantastic, well-rounded leads that would appeal equally to those of both genders. And I had a pretty massive crush on Drake over the two games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »

Oh, and reading back on previous posts, was Uncharted being cited as a game that isn't really appealing to women? Really? I thought both Drake and Elena were fantastic, well-rounded leads that would appeal equally to those of both genders. And I had a pretty massive crush on Drake over the two games.

Apparently the poster just used a pic of Drake with a scowl on his face (or I THINK that's why she picked it, I thought it was more of a bewildered look from being stranded in a desert) and admitted he really was one of the better examples otherwise.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »

Kind of playing devil's advocate here since I'm generally more fond of Japanese games, but I'm a girl and I've never had a problem with Western art direction. I loved the visuals of the Baldur's Gate games and Planescape Torment, and The Witcher 2 is just about the most impressive looking game I've ever seen. It's true that I do tend toward softer, more cartoonish art, but my (also female) friend swears by a more realistic approach and swoons over the graphics of games like Uncharted and Mass Effect. So I'd be inclined to say it's less of a male-female thing and more one of personal taste.

Now if you're having a go at games for not presenting compelling female characters from a writing perspective a lot of the time, then there I'm with you. But it's something that's getting better and better. And I wouldn't say Western games are any more guilty of it than Japanese ones. Heck if nothing else, Western RPGs usually offer you the chance to play as a girl if you want to, as well as giving you some degree of control over her appearance and personality. Yes there are token bimbos in some Western games, but that's true of Japanese games too. Heck there are plenty of Japanese games that trade either heavily or completely on female sex appeal. Ar Tonelico 3, anyone?

You or your friend wouldn't happen to be single, would you? I love women with brains.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:37 AM »

Exactly, I've never been bothered by realism or Western style either - in fact sometimes I prefer it. Depends on what I'm in the mood for really. I don't find this style necessarily 'masculine' or 'geared towards men' either - maybe, MAYBE sometimes the advertising is, but I don't find this to be 'exclusively' the case. It's indeed more personal preference than gender preference.

Ha. I definitely noticed Drake's appeal to women.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »

The real problem is stuff like the homogenous design, and that seems aimed at a fairly narrow male audience. And to programmers who don't want to bother programming/designing hair in a game.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 07:22:51 AM »

You win this thread.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »

You or your friend wouldn't happen to be single, would you? I love women with brains.

At least be a creep to someone who has more than 11 posts.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: