Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 02:17:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331780 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga  (Read 4337 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 04:21:45 AM »

I'm surprised I missed it, but a review
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/26/divinity-ii-the-dragon-knight-saga-playtest-the-long-road-to-becoming-a-dragon-knight/
Ego Draconis was an infinitely cooler name than Dragon Knight Saga.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Clothahump

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »

The first 15 paragraphs of that review only covered the first 45 minutes of a 100 hour game, which tells me all I need to know about the reviewer.

Dragon Knight Saga is one of the better RPGs of the last five years. It doesn't appeal to the Lady Gaga/Bioware crowd, but for everyone else - it's fantastic.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »

I'm on the review for this for RPGFan, but I haven't been able to get too far into it because of outside elements (mostly moving and work and playing RIFT for review, as well).  I'm coming away from the game with almost no feelings - which is not really a good thing.  I don't find the game to be particularly motivating or interesting.  There appears to be a metric boatload of content, but so far, it's all seemed pretty same-y.  I'm also incredibly not fond of the relatively long points between autosaves - still, it's better than another game originally published by dtp, Venetica, which has NO autosave.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »

Venetica is actually a simple but decent game. As far as Divinity goes, I'm about to do some serious patching for Ergo Draconis.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »

I was not very fond of Venetica at all.  Was initially planning to review it and couldn't see myself sinking more than the two hours I did - one of which I lost because of the lack of autosave.  I really found the concept to be interesting when DTP first showed it to me back at E3 09, too.

neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »

I'm on the review for this for RPGFan, but I haven't been able to get too far into it because of outside elements (mostly moving and work and playing RIFT for review, as well).  I'm coming away from the game with almost no feelings - which is not really a good thing.  I don't find the game to be particularly motivating or interesting.  There appears to be a metric boatload of content, but so far, it's all seemed pretty same-y.  I'm also incredibly not fond of the relatively long points between autosaves - still, it's better than another game originally published by dtp, Venetica, which has NO autosave.

Lack of autosave should never be a negative factor for a review ESPECIALLY when you can save anytime and anywhere...thats just lazy to blame "lack" of enough autosave points. Another thing, who only has ONE save for any RPG. What'er u new?
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 09:32:57 PM »

I'm on the review for this for RPGFan, but I haven't been able to get too far into it because of outside elements (mostly moving and work and playing RIFT for review, as well).  I'm coming away from the game with almost no feelings - which is not really a good thing.  I don't find the game to be particularly motivating or interesting.  There appears to be a metric boatload of content, but so far, it's all seemed pretty same-y.  I'm also incredibly not fond of the relatively long points between autosaves - still, it's better than another game originally published by dtp, Venetica, which has NO autosave.

Lack of autosave should never be a negative factor for a review ESPECIALLY when you can save anytime and anywhere...thats just lazy to blame "lack" of enough autosave points. Another thing, who only has ONE save for any RPG. What'er u new?

I disagree.  Fact of the matter is, Autosave and/or checkpointing has become a standard feature across most games and a lack of it produces frustration for the player.  The goal of a game is to engage you; if a game is doing a good job of engaging me, I shouldn't feel the impetus to hit the menu after any sort of encounter to save. The feeling after I've defeated a major encounter?  I can understand, especially if the battle's difficult.  Minor ones?  That just means that the game is doing something wrong.  Save anywhere is a great feature - and one that's common across most western RPGs.  However, autosave is just as common, and the lack thereof is a bit jarring.  It doesn't make the game any more hardcore, it simply provides an additional thing for the player to take care of - and it's something that's completely uninvolved from the actual gameplay.  An autosave gives the player a net - something to keep them from experiencing frustration.  Something that's equally frustrating for me is feeling like I have to mash the save button otherwise I'm going to have to repeat large tracts of content.

In the case of Divinity II, there IS an autosave, and it's not that big of an issue - a complete lack of an autosave or checkpointing system is a legitimate interface issue, one that's relatively sparse isn't much more than a minor inconvenience.  My issues with Divinity II don't stem from its autosave system - it's just that the game gives me little reason to explore or quest or do... well, anything.  I've little desire to see what happens next.

Back to saves, even in JRPGs, where the save point system is much more common, many games have a checkpoint-style system that will allow you to repeat battles if defeated; I find this to be an advantageous feature, especially if the battle that I died in is one that requires specialized tactics that must be discovered over the course of the battle.  

I do question your denotation about one save file - never did I state that, and if you look at my boot menu for The Witcher 2, I've got 5 or 6 saves and I'm only a few hours in.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:38:00 PM by KeeperX » Logged

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »

For the record, I think I played about 2 hours and never popped the disc back in.  The game is fucking boring.  I don't know how a game can be less inspiring than a Bethesda title, but Divinity II manages to do it.
axhed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 01:07:23 AM »

just picked up dks for $20 on steam's weekend sale. looking forward to it.  all the reviews i've read have been encouraging, even the bad ones.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »

The game does start out a bit dull, but once you actually get back onto the main quest, the game becomes pretty awesome.

Code:
Ressurecting Sassson to destroy laiken, and then turning into a dragon to defend your new house as Damian gets pissed and destroys Broken Valley to get revenge on those who killed his loved one. That's pretty awesome.
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »

The game does start out a bit dull, but once you actually get back onto the main quest, the game becomes pretty awesome.

Code:
Ressurecting Sassson to destroy laiken, and then turning into a dragon to defend your new house as Damian gets pissed and destroys Broken Valley to get revenge on those who killed his loved one. That's pretty awesome.

Your code is a great example of why I love this game!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: