Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 05:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338315 Posts in 13850 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  New York Legalizes Gay Marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New York Legalizes Gay Marriage  (Read 3272 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Anyway, that makes the 6th state in the US to allow same-sex couples to marry. Full story here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/nyregion/the-road-to-gay-marriage-in-new-york.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=gay%20marriage&st=cse

This is a huge civil rights victory for one of the biggest urban centers in the US.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:40:59 PM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »

I retweeted it yesterday, but yes, this is a great thing.

Very happy about it. :)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »

My twitter pretty much exploded with info/celebrations about this!

I kind of wish I was in NYC to watch the celebrations now. :)

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »

Man that must feel good for the gay people in New York.

My girlfriend would get super pissed, but if I took my buddy to New York and got married, could I move back home and still be considered married, and get the tax breaks and stuff?  That way my income wouldn't be counted towards my girlfriend's state insurance benefits, and I'd be able to keep more tax money too.

stuff like that

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »

Yeah, I heard about this, since my parents wouldn't stop complaining about it, mostly because they felt the state has more important things to worry about, and that they shoulda done more to help singles (considering my parents aren't married I can see why they'd be concerned about that). Personally, I'm not too concerned. I don't even see why people want to get married in the first place, besides for the tax and healthcare benefits.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »

6 down, HELLA more states to go.

Great news nonetheless!

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »

Yeah, I heard about this, since my parents wouldn't stop complaining about it, mostly because they felt the state has more important things to worry about, and that they shoulda done more to help singles (considering my parents aren't married I can see why they'd be concerned about that). Personally, I'm not too concerned. I don't even see why people want to get married in the first place, besides for the tax and healthcare benefits.

There are many reasons people want to get married, but legally it is entirely for the benefits that come with it. That's really what the fight is all about since there is nothing stopping someone from having a marriage ceremony just because they want to.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »

Well thats great news really, In my humble country of Australia, you get better benefits not being married. As a gay couple, it isn't considered a dual income and therefore raises the benefits. Weird really, but let's say i'm unemployed and requesting for benefits, if you have a partner, their income is considered as part of your income, Now, if your partner is same sex, it's ignored completely.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »

Well thats great news really, In my humble country of Australia, you get better benefits not being married. As a gay couple, it isn't considered a dual income and therefore raises the benefits. Weird really, but let's say i'm unemployed and requesting for benefits, if you have a partner, their income is considered as part of your income, Now, if your partner is same sex, it's ignored completely.

As long as you don't want children, it works out okay in Aus--benefits-wise, anyway. If you want children, like most other countries, only one parent can be the legal guardian of the children, I believe.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »

My roommate works in the senate, he texted me as soon as it happened. He's in the background of the picture they used in the New York Times (kid with the blonde hair in the background of the pic halfway down this page on the left side).
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »

Good news.

In a related note I got caught in the crowd after the gay pride parade in Chicago.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »

I don't even see why people want to get married in the first place, besides for the tax and healthcare benefits.

There are some things that come along with married status that aren't always obvious.  Like if my wife is hurt or sick and ends up in the hospital, because we're married, I can visit her.  If my buddy is in the hospital, I'm not family, so I can't visit him.  Same would apply if I were gay and my "buddy" were my partner, who I'd been with for 12 years.  I wouldn't be allowed in to see him, because we're not technically family.

And if I had kids and I died, my wife (their stepmother) could take custody of them.  But if I were gay, the same would not apply.  My kids would be headed to the orphanage because I wasn't married to my partner.

Granted, I'm not a lawyer - these are just the kind of things my gay friends have said they've dealt with.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »

That would suck.

Your gay friends don't qualify to adopt those kids?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »

As I understand it, many states don't allow that.  Some states don't allow you to adopt at all if you're not married, without regard to sexual orientation.  If I'm reading things correctly (and I may not be), my home state allows a single person to adopt kids, but doesn't allow unmarried couples to adopt, whether the couple is straight or gay.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 02:19:03 AM »

I wonder if this means gay divorce is allowed as well? That'd be pretty comical, a gay married cuople fils for divorce, but the state doesn't recognize the legalized seperation, heh heh.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: