Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341040 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Capcom, Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D & something retarded
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Capcom, Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D & something retarded  (Read 3680 times)
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »

Capcom Announces Un-replayable Game.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/capcom-tries-to.php

Greed creates a special kind of retards.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »

Ridiculous.

Do book publishers queef so much over libraries and used book stores?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:03:34 AM »

Unbelievable.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:38 AM »

Maybe the game is so shitty one would only want to play it once anyway?

I wonder how many hapless people will get fleeced, buying a used copy from Ebay?
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »

I doubt it will catch on. The sad part is that once again, only people who buy a legal copy will have to put up with this crap. I have several games that I can't play because of broken copy protection, and its fairly annoying to say the least. Sure, this will stop people from buying used copies, but it will also stop people from buying in general. On the flip side of this whole mess will be the ROM that's bound to pop up eventually, which will probably be in much higher demand than it normally would. In the end they'll only end up hurting their own sales and give up on the idea just like EA did with their "3 time Spore install limit".
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:05:03 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »

Not sure what the big deal is.  This is a game where you unlock additional stages and characters, but can replay any of the previous ones at any time.  It's not a "one-time play" situation, depending on how you value the act of unlocking... oh god, Jill and Barry are playable characters, so of course everything will be unlocked for you anyway.

Why'd I make that joke?

Anyway, the game is fun, but this is pretty bad publicity.  Mountain out of a molehill, if you ask me.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:25:50 PM »

I'm dumbfounded by this, surely someone somewhere in the company had to bring up the sheer amount of negative publicity this kind of move would generate.

Everything's Eventual
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »

Capcom is stupid for this, but idk if I blame them. Many a dickhead nowadays pirates everything, and several more just wait for a used copy to buy it instead. I mean, at least in a low end game store or ma and pop shop you'll find legitamate prices for used games, whereas lamestop charges like 5 bucks less for a new release. I bought my copy of MVC3 a week after release, got bored with it quick, and returned it to them for some bullshitty 24 bucks in store credit, meanwhile they flipped back on the wall for 55 bucks, which is more than 200% of what I received for it. As a gamer, I say go capcom, stick it to shitstop. As a poor gamer....yeah RE:Mercenaries may be a purchase not in my future plans.

A thought has occurred to me as well. What about gamefly users now? They use the service for a means at playing games they couldn't normally afford or invest time in to justify a purchase. This takes away the desire to play it by a great load now. Hmmm....

TASTY!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 12:10:55 AM »

Gamefly isn't renting the game according to http://screwattack.com/blogs/ScrewAttack-News/Gamestop-to-Refuse-RE-The-Mercenaries-Trade-Ins

Many a dickhead nowadays pirates everything

This one kid I know does the same thing.  Claims that he wouldn't play the game more than 5 or so hours anyway (which seems like a lie to me because I know he beats titles here and there) and how he's entitled to play games that are released yada yada.  What really boggles my mind, is that he even pirates his favorite series.  He outright told me that he would buy a PS3 solely for a HD Kingdom Hearts release, yet he wouldn't shell out the money to buy Birth by Sleep on hardware he already owned so he just pirated it (and loved it) instead.  It's not a money issue either.  </end rant>
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:14:33 AM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 03:38:24 AM »

that was a dickish thing to do

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »

The thing is, that this isn't an anti pirating move. It's supposed to punish people who buy used games. Pirates wont have any issue with this at all because they can just overwrite the ROM with a clean copy any time they feel like restarting. That's the part I don't get, instead of figuring out ways to reward and promote buying legal copies, some distributors find ways to make life harder for anyone that does pay for their product, all the while being fully aware that cracked versions will just bypass these things and make them a non issue. It makes no sense at all.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »

The only thing you'd miss out on with a used copy is personal high scores.

This isn't a game where you log into the server for online multiplayer, and there is no reason to reset your own data. 

Level 1 will always be the same when you select it.  This is being blown out of proportion.

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »

The only thing you'd miss out on with a used copy is personal high scores.

This isn't a game where you log into the server for online multiplayer, and there is no reason to reset your own data.  

Level 1 will always be the same when you select it.  This is being blown out of proportion.

Look at it this way, if we don't blow this out of proportion and lie down accepting it, it will reappear in other games.
While I agree it doesn't really impact the game, it's still a dick move.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »

Like selling something that is a mini-game in the main series for $40 wasn't bad enough.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »

Has anyone actually played the game?

Beyond leveling up all of the skills, the way you mix and match skills among the characters adds a lot of customization.  Rebecca naturally starts out with 4 green herbs, so you can choose to skip giving her the increased herb potency skill in favor of a gun skill, or make her the ultimate healer.

Ignoring the big differences between the mini-games and this 3DS game, it being on a handheld brings a much more appropriate mindset to the experience.  I'm not gonna get set up in front of the TV to play something like this, but while I'm waiting for my pizza to arrive while others are watching TV, it's very appealing.

Capcom has done a lot of wrong in recent memory, but this isn't.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: