Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 09:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340846 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Capcom, Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D & something retarded
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Capcom, Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D & something retarded  (Read 3672 times)
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 08:50:05 AM »

Well, people complained enough it seems:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35657/Capcom_Resident_Evil_3D_Save_Data_Controversy_Likely_Will_Not_Happen_Again.php
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 03:21:19 PM »

Good riddance. I get they don't like used game sales, but there are better ways to entice people to buy new.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 04:20:12 AM »

It's even worse because GameFly, last I checked, isn't letting people rent the game, which is doubly worse because it was one of the more practical ways to really do the "arcade experience" they claimed.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 04:46:50 AM »

Has anyone actually played the game?

Beyond leveling up all of the skills, the way you mix and match skills among the characters adds a lot of customization.  Rebecca naturally starts out with 4 green herbs, so you can choose to skip giving her the increased herb potency skill in favor of a gun skill, or make her the ultimate healer.

Ignoring the big differences between the mini-games and this 3DS game, it being on a handheld brings a much more appropriate mindset to the experience.  I'm not gonna get set up in front of the TV to play something like this, but while I'm waiting for my pizza to arrive while others are watching TV, it's very appealing.

Capcom has done a lot of wrong in recent memory, but this isn't.

i think you are missing the point. this has little to do with the game itself and is more about a company trying to exert some control over a product i paid for. when you buy a car the manufacturer doesnt try to tell you what streets you can and cant drive on.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »

Has anyone actually played the game?

Beyond leveling up all of the skills, the way you mix and match skills among the characters adds a lot of customization.  Rebecca naturally starts out with 4 green herbs, so you can choose to skip giving her the increased herb potency skill in favor of a gun skill, or make her the ultimate healer.

Ignoring the big differences between the mini-games and this 3DS game, it being on a handheld brings a much more appropriate mindset to the experience.  I'm not gonna get set up in front of the TV to play something like this, but while I'm waiting for my pizza to arrive while others are watching TV, it's very appealing.

Capcom has done a lot of wrong in recent memory, but this isn't.

i think you are missing the point. this has little to do with the game itself and is more about a company trying to exert some control over a product i paid for. when you buy a car the manufacturer doesnt try to tell you what streets you can and cant drive on.

Actually, not being able to reset your progress in a game to make it brand new has a much more apt car metaphor.

No, your car manufacturer does not allow you to reset your odometer when you are done driving.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 01:37:36 AM »

That metaphor is almost too accurate to even be a metaphor.  I'm pretty sure 3DS games are automobiles, now.

The 3DS itself doesn't need this shit right now.  This is what, the third game for the system?  In most people's eyes?  You wanna make an example out of an innocent product?  Tear down the building to walk through the door?  Fuck you.

I, as a player of this game, am happy to not see a "fuck yourself" button I can accidently push.  In MMOs, the "delete character" button even being on the same screen is enough to make me uncomfortable.

Capcom is apparently responsible for every choice developers make in the future.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 03:33:09 AM »

I, as a player of this game, am happy to not see a "fuck yourself" button I can accidently push.

They always tuck this option away in the settings and usually ask to verify if that's what you want to do. At the very least they could've required an esoteric button combination you needed to consult the manual for or look online about. That, and this has made companies like GameFly stupid and decide to not rent out the game, which is somewhat ironic given RENTING IT is one of the most practical ways to create that "arcade experience" they used as an excuse.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 03:44:30 AM »

That metaphor is almost too accurate to even be a metaphor.  I'm pretty sure 3DS games are automobiles, now.

I have to disagree, unlike cars, mileage on a game is mostly irrelevant. I'd say its more like a car that comes with a full tank and no way to refuel it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:46:52 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »

It's like a car that comes with a full tank and there is no way to unfuel it.  Or a hybrid car that only needs gas the first time you start it.

I have to disagree, unlike cars, mileage on a game is mostly irrelevant.

This has been my whole argument. 

Eusis, you are damn right... Capcom actually used the "we did it for the arcade experience" line?  That's an excellent excuse in my opinion.  Rent a game, and you are now competing with your neighborhood?  That means they did it FOR 2nd hand users, not against.

I'm not missing the point here, but if the game strictly had online leaderboards (which you also can't erase) and made every skill and character available from the start, no one would complain.

It's only when you transplant this into other situations that it becomes a problem for the public.  This was a huge release for the 3DS, and now it's been ruined by shit that *might* happen in the future.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:53:12 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »

It's like a car that comes with a full tank and there is no way to unfuel it.  Or a hybrid car that only needs gas the first time you start it.

In my example fuel would be the amount of things left to unlock. Once you unlock everything there is no more "fuel" left to play.

NOW PLAYING:
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »

How about a tramp that doesn't wash herself between clients?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: