Author Topic: Breaking: Yasumi Matsuno (FFXII, Tactics Ogre) joins Level 5

Danku

• View Profile
Re: Breaking: Yasumi Matsuno (FFXII, Tactics Ogre) joins Level 5
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
I wish those stupid executives didn't ruin our great developers. Why can't they just keep the games how I want to play them, fuck what everyone else is in to right now. Yasumi Matsuno is way too talented for the NEW square enix anyway! I'm sure without him, the executives are going to have to re think the way they are going to make any decent games now that Yasumi is gone. He had such an impact in all the development of great square enix games maybe. It's just that the executives were too involved in the development process of games like FFXII and didn't give Yasumi the space he needed to make it a great game I think. I know this maybe, because I am very involved in the development process of every title Yasumi was involved in.

This is a terrible day for Square Enix fans, I know for sure.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
FFXII was the best post-SNES Final Fantasy game.  But haters gotta hate.  Admitedly Vaan was a bad character, but seeing how he was hardly even relevant after the first fifth of the game that's not a deal-breaker.

Curious to see what Yasumi Matsuno is working on now.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
i'd have to disagree. ive played FF 5 and 6 and think they are inferior to everything that came after them with the possible exception of dirge of cerberus,crisis core,and FFXIII all of wich i havent played yet. sometimes i wish i could give a younger me FF4,5,6 and see if my opinion of them would change. though i doubt it since adult me thinks phantasy star 4 is superior to FF 5 and 6.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 10:31:03 PM »
That's weird considering your tastes and the fact FF6 had 2 strong female leads.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 11:51:38 PM »
i'd have to disagree. ive played FF 5 and 6 and think they are inferior to everything that came after them

OK, wait a minute. You are saying that Final Fantasy VIII was better than VI? D:

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »
So much FFXII hate.I'm glad Matsuno can find comfort with Level 5.The company is profitable and the recent deals(Studio Ghibli partnership,Western expansion,Gundam/bandai Project) have made Level 5 on of the top dogs in Japanese gaming.

And I'm looking forward to their new releases like Gundam Age RPG and Ni No Kuni.

Hey, now maybe he can get Level 5 to release an RPG with a (at least semi serious) plot that doesn't suck or is Dragon Quest.

i'd have to disagree. ive played FF 5 and 6 and think they are inferior to everything that came after them with the possible exception of dirge of cerberus,crisis core,and FFXIII all of wich i havent played yet. sometimes i wish i could give a younger me FF4,5,6 and see if my opinion of them would change. though i doubt it since adult me thinks phantasy star 4 is superior to FF 5 and 6.

I'm just surprised that you're not bashing FFVII while you're at it. I mean Popeye Arms man. Seriously, the graphics sucked in that game.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 12:27:28 AM »

Phantasy Star was superior to FF in that era.I just wish SEGA would take the series seriously like they once did.

I love Phantasy Star Portable,Zero and DC Online but the stories weren't as epic as I hoped.

Iron Maw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 12:40:43 AM »
Square Enix executives put their noses where they didn't belong

SE Exec: We want you to make a single player RPG that feels like an MMORPG; people love MMORPGs.
... FFXII
SE Exec: Ok, that wasn't so hot, so how about we make an MMORPG?
... FFXIV

Vaan was always in the game to begin with, furthermore the Offline MMORPG idea was Matsuno's as he is big fan of FFXI and wanted to mimic that style of game on a console.

There wasn't any executives meddling either which Matsuno attested to himself in an interview on TO with 4Gamer:

4G: As you have said yourself, you were the director, game designer and scenario designer for the game. You're often thought of as a multitasker prodigy.

YM: We simply didn't have enough people at that time, so there wasn't any way around it. After I joined Squaresoft, however, I started assigning to others any tasks that didn't have to be done by myself. After all, Squaresoft had a very democratic development process by the time I joined them.

4G: Democratic?

YM: During production, programmers and designers as well would always come up with several ideas. In FFXII, for instance, the huge airship in the game wasn't my idea, but one of the designer's, who wanted to give it a sci-fi-esque feeling. It's a completely different methodology if compared to how Ogre Battle was made.

4G: It does sound harder to do things that way. Still, one usually hears about how important it is to consider the opinions of the whole team. In the other hand, as far as creative works are concerned, I feel it's important to insert somewhere your individual touch, or a your own beliefs. Perhaps that's what game creativity is all about in first place?

YM: Looking at things that way, I could say the two Ogre Battle games I've made were fruits of my own beliefs, while the games I made for Squaresoft were certainly fruits of democracy. Ah, save for Vagrant Story, that is (laughs).

The rest here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/59486772

Basically Matsuno wasn't used to being in charge of large teams number over 100 people where development and ideas are done by committee rather than one person calling all the shots of 20 man group. It's probably why he wants to stick too smaller games where he has more control.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:38:10 AM by Iron Maw »

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 12:47:24 AM »
FFXII was the best post-SNES Final Fantasy game.  But haters gotta hate. 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

PotRoast

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 12:55:19 AM »
FFXII was the best post-SNES Final Fantasy game.  But haters gotta hate.  Admitedly Vaan was a bad character, but seeing how he was hardly even relevant after the first fifth of the game that's not a deal-breaker.

I have to agree. XII is definitely best post SNES numbered Final Fantasy. I still actually think the idea of the story being told from Vaan and Panelo's point of view could have been really good. Play up their powerlessness and their wonder of a world they've never seen. You know, that there really is more than just themselves.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 02:26:35 AM »

I agree with that.Final Fantasy XII is my favorite Final Fantasy game of all time.The music,the characters,the story,the combat system and the world of Ivalice all remind me of why I love Japanese RPGs.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 02:49:06 AM »
Are you guys being ironic? FF Crystal Chronicles was the best post SuperNES FF game, bar none....

[serious post]FFIX for the world and character building. FFT for the overall plot. FFX-2 for the best version of the job system yet.[/serious post]

FFXII had a satisfying amount of overworld to explore, the gambits and semi-realtime combat were great, and what was there of the plot was alright, but there really wasn't anything to find on the overworld and the characters and plot were too sparse and threadbare to hold up such a game putting a lot of it to waste. It was fine for one playthrough, but I don't know if I could stomach a second.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 03:12:03 AM »
Are you guys being ironic? FF Crystal Chronicles was the best post SuperNES FF game, bar none....

[serious post]FFIX for the world and character building. FFT for the overall plot. FFXI for the best version of the job system yet.[/serious post]

FFXII had a satisfying amount of overworld to explore, the gambits and semi-realtime combat were great, and what was there of the plot was alright, but there really wasn't anything to find on the overworld and the characters and plot were too sparse and threadbare to hold up such a game putting a lot of it to waste. It was fine for one playthrough, but I don't know if I could stomach a second.

fixed

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 03:23:49 AM »
[serious post]FFIX for the world and character building. FFT for the overall plot. FFX-2 for the best version of the job system yet.[/serious post]

Serious posts are the best posts.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:25:58 AM by Yggdrasil »

insertnamehere

• View Profile

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.