Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 07:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341139 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  NieR Tribute Album -echo-, 14.09.2011
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NieR Tribute Album -echo-, 14.09.2011  (Read 3417 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »

Tracklist:

01. Repose / (S_S)
02. KainÚ / Salvation / KainÚ / Escape / matryoshka (Preview)
03. Temple of Drifting Sands / millstones   
04. Emil / Sacrifice / Ametsub  (Preview)
05. Suite Of Nier (Restructuring-Snow in Summer, The Ultimate Weapon, Ashes of Dreams) / Go-qualia
06. Shadowlord / R─FVEN  (Preview)
07. The Incomplete Stone / Nobu44
08. Song of the Ancients / Devola ~ Song of the Ancients / Popola / sasakure.UK  (Preview)
09. The Wretched Automatons ~ Hills of Radiant Wind / KanouKaoru
10. Grandma / Schroeder-Headz  (Preview)
11. The Lost Forest / NO‐NO₂
12. Snow in Summer ~ The Dark Colossus Destroys All / world's end girlfriend  (Preview)

Official website: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/nier/tribute/
Source: http://vgmdb.net/album/26899

Also, there was a huge Drama CD released on April.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:53:59 PM by Eusis » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:17 AM »

OP updated with tracklist, cover and some previews. The official site has a wallpaper too in the "Special" section if anyone is interested in that.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:44:02 AM »

I like the samples, sounds good.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »

I am absolutely in love with these remixes. I can't wait for this to come out; I'll have to play all the music on repeat for the rest of the year.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 04:39:05 AM »

I'm not sure if I like what they did with Song of the Ancients, as the original ~ Fate ~ version was my favorite, but the others are nice. I especially like the Snow in Summer and Kaine arrangements. I'll be looking into this; it seems a lot less, hmm, "ethnic" I suppose the word would be, than the original.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 11:59:40 AM »

Song of the Ancients, as the original ~ Fate ~ version

You can't really make the song better than that. The Devola/Popola bar duet is nice too, but the drum-heavy Fate version is unstoppable. You CANNOT improve on that song.

I'm interested in seeing where they go with the other pieces though.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »

Took too long to notice the error with the title. I was afraid SE was going to miss my birthday!

(Which won't matter if the US iTunes release isn't day and date with the Japanese album release anyway.)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »

Anyone else get this?

I'm not too impressed, much of it isn't my style.  My favorite track is 12, by far, but I dislike what they did with Song of the Ancients and The Incomplete stone.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »

still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail. Amazing that I had separate standing orders for SD Box and Nier album, they both are released on the *same day* -- I get SD Box overnight, Nier still isn't here.

I guess it's because larger packages that you are forced to pay big bucks for, are automatically given primo treatment.

(also still waiting for SQ Chips)

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »

still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail. Amazing that I had separate standing orders for SD Box and Nier album, they both are released on the *same day* -- I get SD Box overnight, Nier still isn't here.

I guess it's because larger packages that you are forced to pay big bucks for, are automatically given primo treatment.

(also still waiting for SQ Chips)
How is that SD box? I have not gotten around to getting it yet.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »

You may not have the chance. It'll go out of stock/print soon.

As for NieR -echo- ~~ I'm about halfway through listening to it right now. And while I still believe nothing can trump the OST, this is *far* better than 15 Nightmares / Arranged. It's basically a big dubstep party with a few exceptions. It's fun, it makes far better use of Emi Evans' vocal tracks, and I'm just really really digging it.

EDIT - listened to the whole album like 5 times now (same goes for SQ Chips). I love both albums ridiculously mucho much. This was a great double purchase.

I hope SE makes like, an SQ Chips series. Drop the other "____ SQ" albums and just go nuts on chiptunes.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:44:32 PM by Ramza » Logged

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »

I just listened to two previews: KianÚ and SotA. To be honest... I'm not impressed, at all. I just have been spending the last day working on a cover of KianÚ with my girlfriend (who's wanted to do some of these for a while, being a linguist, and wanting to tackle some artificial language lyrics). The one thing that really MAKES the original, IMO, is the simplicity.

People who have been around long enough to know my taste in music know that "simplicity" is not commonly one of my most sought-after traits, but at least I know when it is important. Nier's music is lush but very clear and focused: every note counts. These covers just seem to miss the whole point of the originals (as far as I've heard).

I'm all for doing "out-there" covers (hell, I once reworked an early 90s arcade game's music into a 10 minute, Russian romantic piano concerto), but you've gotta build on something that the original is evoking. And I'm just not feeling it here.

But then again, I've only listened to KianÚ and SotA, so there may be many that are wonderful.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »

KainÚ, not KianÚ.

Those two tracks you mentioned aren't my favorites. I do like Song of the Ancients for the piano parts, but the vocals get a little lost in it.

I think the opening track, "Repose," builds really well.

Also, are the previews full tracks? Because these tracks are no good in like, 30-second snippets. You gotta hear the full thing.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »

Sorry, typo.

Margaret, my girlfriend finished transcribing Kaine into IPA a few days ago, and we've been working on a piano/vocal arrangement. She herself has constructed a number of artificial languages, and we've done a few songs in them, so doing Nier covers makes quite a bit of sense. One of them, "Bve Pfa Ri" (Rilin Song), plays as the background music on our website:

http://www.channelwoodmusic.com/

I'll have the mics setup this weekend, so I might get a good demo of Kaine up next week. We'll probably perform it this weekend at the tea house where we often perform and test out new material. Margaret has a more traditional operatic style than Emi (who tends to sing more straight toned), so the sound is a bit different, but it's been wonderful all the same. Our first album, "Channelwood" is finished and ready to go to master. We did "Still Alive" as a cover on this album, so it might be appropriate to do a Nier cover for the next.

I've tossed around the idea to Margaret to extrapolate on the phonetic construct of Kaine (which is gallic in origin), and write some other songs in it. Since she speaks Welsh and is also very familliar with gallic phonology, it wouldn't be difficult. But I think she's more interested in working in her own languages than extrapolating existing ones.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 12:06:41 AM »

um, dude?

This is frigging awesome.

EDIT -- how will you sell the album? For digital distribution I highly recommend bandcamp. I'll also buy it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: