Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 05:14:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327455 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Berskerk, Lodoss and other fantastical-anime
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Berskerk, Lodoss and other fantastical-anime  (Read 4052 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »

So in the realm of fantasy-oriented anime I'm looking for suggestions... I read a bit but prefer to hear what others favorites are...

Series I've already seen and really enjoyed  include Record of Lodoss Wars, Berserk (my favorite), Bastard!, Claymore, Sacred Blacksmith, Slayers and El Hazard..... Additionally, if anyone has any "RPG to anime" adaptations worth checking out throw them out there too as I tend to overlook them..... Many thanks ahead of time to those who particpate in listing and suggesting :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »

You can give some of these a try, all of them are fantasy oriented.
The Tower of Druaga
Ragnarok the Animation
Rune Soldier Louie

Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »

Given the shows you've listed, The Twelve Kingdoms should be right up your alley. Also, try Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:17:39 PM by Vaporeon » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »

EDIT: screw everything I've said. I have this gut feeling you'd like Speed Grapher.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:27:37 PM by Annubis » Logged
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »

EDIT: screw everything I've said. I have this gut feeling you'd like Speed Grapher.
Your absolutely right, I loved speed grapher! Compliments to you for percieving my tastes so accurately off such a short list :)

And to Chron, and Vap- many thanks for the suggestions! Rune Soldiers was actually on one of my many to watch lists awhile back and I totally forgot about it.... appreciate the reminder :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:08:51 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »

Well, if you like characters like Guts from Berserk (overall super badass), I'd suggest looking into Baki the Grappler. It's relatively corny at times, but there's one character in specific named Yujiro Hanma. Once you see him, you'll know what I mean.

TASTY!
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 06:27:18 AM »

You can also check out Tears to Tiara and Utawarerumono anime.They are both made from the same creator with Utawarerumono being the more battle oriented of the two. Both were originally H-SRPGS that were released on the PC, then made into all ages versions, and released on the PS2.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:41:03 AM by Chronix112 » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »

I watched a bit of Tears of Tiara and liked it a lot, would've finished it if I weren't at the tail end of my anime phase at the time. I second the recommendation.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »

I watched a bit of Tears of Tiara and liked it a lot, would've finished it if I weren't at the tail end of my anime phase at the time. I second the recommendation.
The best thing about both series IMO are the protagonists. They are not the hot headed angsty teen heroes that most rpgs have.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 02:59:48 AM »

The best thing about both series IMO are the protagonists. They are not the hot headed angsty teen heroes that most rpgs have.

Well, at least one of them isn't in Tears to Tiara.

Also watch Queen's Blade. Its fantastical.

Also watch Legend of Legendary Heroes. Also Magic Knight Rayearth if you want fantastical with a dash of mecha and CLAMP magical girls, Break Blade if you want fantastical with a dash of mecha and want to have absolutely no clue what's going, and Aura Battler Dubine if you want older fantastical with a dash of mecha and a guaranteed mass cast execution, fortunately the majority of the cast will either be obnoxious, retarded, female, or all of the above.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 03:43:46 AM »

Also watch Legend of Legendary Heroes. Also Magic Knight Rayearth if you want fantastical with a dash of mecha and CLAMP magical girls, Break Blade if you want fantastical with a dash of mecha and want to have absolutely no clue what's going, and Aura Battler Dubine if you want older fantastical with a dash of mecha and a guaranteed mass cast execution, fortunately the majority of the cast will either be obnoxious, retarded, female, or all of the above.
I meant the main protagonist of each series.  As for Tears to Tiara I wanted to hit hit Author up side the head with my boot, Hot blooded and stupid sums him up nicely. Arawn was an awesome level headed, and snarky main character.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »

I meant the main protagonist of each series.  As for Tears to Tiara I wanted to hit hit Author up side the head with my boot, Hot blooded and stupid sums him up nicely. Arawn was an awesome level headed, and snarky main character.

That's what I meant. Arthor being the only other relevant PC was a total dipshit. Besides those two and the old guy who's more or less just there to keep the plot moving there's nothing but walking piles of fanservice that are as deep as a muddy puddle.

What can I say, I loathe harems with a passion. And TtT was far more like chill dude Arawn crashing Arthor's harem and stealing it out from under him leaving the dumb harem protagonist hanging high and dry as either The Buttmonkey or The Worf.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »

Wow thank you guys for the suggestions!!! Really overwhelmed, in a positive sense, with all the immediae direction here.... Each suggestion is on my "amazon wishlist" with magic knight rayearth (always meant to check it out when I was a kid since the only working designs game), druaga, tears of tiara and  Utawarerumono  first up :)

Also in regard to Guts....... He himself is probably the only aspect of Berserk I don't really appreciate.... I'm far too girly of of a guy myself to dig the rambo-esque macho men.... hard to relate I suppose... hahahahaha!

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »

I wouldn't call Guts macho so much as he's more raging against the machine and barely getting away with it.

Also while I did enjoy the two Tower of Druaga seasons for the most part, I should warn you that it doesn't escape its fate as a Gonzo show and thus suffers from a lame ending.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »

I like Guts... when he was being laughed at for Caska (sp?) being touchy-feely with him, he turned around and gave a legit grimace. 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: