Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  firefox sucks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: firefox sucks  (Read 3370 times)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »

Somebody linked the Acid3 test earlier: might be interested in this - http://limi.net/articles/firefox-acid3/

Point being that some of the "standards" being tested in Acid3 are still up for debate.

It's only up for debate by Mozilla developers and Microsoft, naturally since their browsers don't score 100.  The article uses some clever language such as this cute little bit:

Opera and Webkit implemented (very brokenly, in at least Opera’s case) a small subset of svg 1.1 Fonts; basically just enough to pass Acid3.

It's flowery language, and it makes me laugh.  This is like the guy who gets a 97 on his physics test bitching that the last three questions weren't the kind of questions he liked and that the two students who got a 100 studied just enough to get those last three points.  It makes him out to be a tremendous toolbag, especially considering that the post was in defense of Firefox 4, which got obsoleted in three months because it was a buggy piece of shit.  Way to go guys!

Eh, laugh if you want. I'll just say that as a guy who earns his bread doing development, it makes perfect sense to me. I'm not trying to pull "position of authority" on you or anything, just saying that the argument is perfectly legitimate, even if you don't like it.

EDIT: Also, are we really engaging in browser wars? Is that really a thing that is happening? Might as well argue about politics, you'll make as much progress.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:53:02 AM by dyeager » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »

Nah, I understand the guy too. He's following one of the prime doctrine of software development:

« Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. »
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »

Somebody linked the Acid3 test earlier: might be interested in this - http://limi.net/articles/firefox-acid3/

Point being that some of the "standards" being tested in Acid3 are still up for debate.

It's only up for debate by Mozilla developers and Microsoft, naturally since their browsers don't score 100.  The article uses some clever language such as this cute little bit:

Opera and Webkit implemented (very brokenly, in at least Opera’s case) a small subset of svg 1.1 Fonts; basically just enough to pass Acid3.

It's flowery language, and it makes me laugh.  This is like the guy who gets a 97 on his physics test bitching that the last three questions weren't the kind of questions he liked and that the two students who got a 100 studied just enough to get those last three points.  It makes him out to be a tremendous toolbag, especially considering that the post was in defense of Firefox 4, which got obsoleted in three months because it was a buggy piece of shit.  Way to go guys!

Eh, laugh if you want. I'll just say that as a guy who earns his bread doing development, it makes perfect sense to me. I'm not trying to pull "position of authority" on you or anything, just saying that the argument is perfectly legitimate, even if you don't like it.

EDIT: Also, are we really engaging in browser wars? Is that really a thing that is happening? Might as well argue about politics, you'll make as much progress.

Politics? Parn?

Yep, never coming back in this topic.

TASTY!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »

fyi i really dont care one way or another what browser people use

i just like to get people riled up
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »

Putting adblock on Chrome is like trying to block a gun with a cork. Chrome is a google browser, a huge chunk of google revenue comes from user sensitive ads. Expecting adblock to work properly on chrome, especially on google services like youtube, is fairly naive. They can and will fight against it. But as long as you don't mind google tracking your browsing habits (though apparently you can turn it of, assuming you took the time to configure the browser) and ads, Chrome is a very good browser.

actually i recently installed chrome on a pc and when i installed adblock it gave the choice of whether or not to block google ads. also it must of been updated recently because the one on my home pc doesnt collapse space that was taken by ads. one thing i do like about operas ad block is that it gives you the ability to block google analytics :D as for why i dont like firefox anymore there are too principal reasons. 1. i got sick of the not responding errors that happen all to frequently. 2. its annoying having to periodically close and restart firefox because it is leaking memory. ive seen it using upwards of 400k before in task manager -_- dont get me wrong opera leaks too but at a noticably slower rate and im willing to forgive since opera lauches way faster and runs smoother overall. the only reason i dont use chrome is that it doesnt seem to play nice with twitter on my pc.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

Yeah, the memory leakage can be annoying.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do the each tab is its own process like Chrome does to cut down on memory problems, but we'll see.  I can't imagine that's easily done.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »

When I upgraded to firefox 4 gmail stopped loading. No idea why. I changed to chrome after that and don't plan on switching back.

"Oh, a hunter..."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 06:40:18 AM »

Hm, I tried Opera and I think I'm sticking with it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »

Yeah, the memory leakage can be annoying.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do the each tab is its own process like Chrome does to cut down on memory problems, but we'll see.  I can't imagine that's easily done.

And to think I switched to Firefox because it was much more efficient than Explorer back in 2007. My laptop only had 64MB RAM, so every bit counted. Nowadays I have to restart it every so often, because the memory leakage slows down my new laptop to the point that it becomes nearly unusable.

I need to switch to a new browser...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: