Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 01:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341029 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  firefox sucks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: firefox sucks  (Read 3413 times)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »

I use 'em all depending on what I'm doing. I really like some of the Firefox plugins for web development and such, but Chrome is definitely speedy and has some nice built in debuggers.

If I'm just browsing around, I actually like Firefox 5 the best these days.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »

Got a 97. Good enough for me. Not like watching Youtube videos or shit will be a massive improvement on Chrome or anything for me.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »

Somebody linked the Acid3 test earlier: might be interested in this - http://limi.net/articles/firefox-acid3/

Point being that some of the "standards" being tested in Acid3 are still up for debate.
invinciblegod

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 05:22:15 PM »

im not sure thats the reason since even opera runs videos better than firefox does

Huh. My opera runs video choppily. Probably because I have 50 tabs open.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »

i can safely say i will never use that shitty browser again. now that both chrome and opera have adblock theres no reason to even keep it on my system anymore.

No one cares if you don't use or like Firefox (didn't even give a reason/discussion point).  Why didn't you just post this in the haps thread?

Can't speak for Opera, but adblock has been on Chrome for ages.  Still isn't as good as Firefox's adblock.  Still get ads on youtube (in certain videos) and justin.tv mainly.  Don't know where else since I rarely use Chrome.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:08:43 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

Hmmm, been on Firefox for quite a while now...now you guys are making me think I should switch, I have noticed the video buffering is quite annoying....

Me too. What do you guys recomend? Chrome?

Chrome.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »

Hmmm, been on Firefox for quite a while now...now you guys are making me think I should switch, I have noticed the video buffering is quite annoying....

Me too. What do you guys recomend? Chrome?

Chrome.

I just tried it and wasn't really impressed to be honest.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »

I'm really rather awful about moving on from my gadgets. I buy identical laptops to the one I previously owned for god sake. It's borderline OCD :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »

im not sure thats the reason since even opera runs videos better than firefox does

Opera's just plain fast. Don't know what it does though.

When I used Opera, it was incredibly slow. Hated it. Will never use it again. FF works just fine.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »

Opera's just plain fast. Don't know what it does though.

When I used Opera, it was incredibly slow. Hated it. Will never use it again. FF works just fine.

I've used it on friends' computers and it blazed through everything, but it didn't seem to have all of Chrome's features.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:59 PM »

I actually switched to Chrome recently myself.  I'm willing to bet that a fresh browser installation is the main reason it seems faster... no addons or (god forbid) malware.

It's been a fast adjustment, although the download implementation is garbage... no way around it either.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
msg
Übermensch

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 02:21:29 AM »

Ive been using FF a while now and everytime they release a new version all my add ons dont work, its starting to piss me off. It seems fast enough, ive no complaints about that part though.
Can anyone recommend a browser that has free download manager integration and easy youtube downloader? And if possible multi row bookmarks, although I can manage without this one.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:27:04 AM by msg » Logged

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 04:12:34 AM »

Putting adblock on Chrome is like trying to block a gun with a cork. Chrome is a google browser, a huge chunk of google revenue comes from user sensitive ads. Expecting adblock to work properly on chrome, especially on google services like youtube, is fairly naive. They can and will fight against it. But as long as you don't mind google tracking your browsing habits (though apparently you can turn it of, assuming you took the time to configure the browser) and ads, Chrome is a very good browser.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 08:42:59 AM »

Somebody linked the Acid3 test earlier: might be interested in this - http://limi.net/articles/firefox-acid3/

Point being that some of the "standards" being tested in Acid3 are still up for debate.

It's only up for debate by Mozilla developers and Microsoft, naturally since their browsers don't score 100.  The article uses some clever language such as this cute little bit:

Opera and Webkit implemented (very brokenly, in at least Opera’s case) a small subset of svg 1.1 Fonts; basically just enough to pass Acid3.

It's flowery language, and it makes me laugh.  This is like the guy who gets a 97 on his physics test bitching that the last three questions weren't the kind of questions he liked and that the two students who got a 100 studied just enough to get those last three points.  It makes him out to be a tremendous toolbag, especially considering that the post was in defense of Firefox 4, which got obsoleted in three months because it was a buggy piece of shit.  Way to go guys!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »

the post was in defense of Firefox 4, which got obsoleted in three months because it was a buggy piece of shit.  Way to go guys!

Half true.  It WAS a buggy piece of shit (mac version was for me, no problems with the windows version though), but it got EoL because they moved to a faster development cycle like Chrome uses.  They don't want to do 4.11, 4.2, 4.3, etc and are just sticking to mainly larger updates. Firefox 5 will meet the same fate as 4 before too long. Firefox 6 is due in August and Firefox 5 will then be EoL. 

Putting adblock on Chrome is like trying to block a gun with a cork. Chrome is a google browser, a huge chunk of google revenue comes from user sensitive ads. Expecting adblock to work properly on chrome, especially on google services like youtube, is fairly naive. They can and will fight against it. But as long as you don't mind google tracking your browsing habits (though apparently you can turn it of, assuming you took the time to configure the browser) and ads, Chrome is a very good browser.

Good point.  Forgot about who owned what.  I don't think that explains Justin.tv though.

Ive been using FF a while now and everytime they release a new version all my add ons dont work, its starting to piss me off. It seems fast enough, ive no complaints about that part though.

Well, that's mainly because of their faster updates.  According to Firefox, the add-ons generally aren't broken, they just aren't working because developers put it to work with "4.x" or whatever.  Apparently all they have to do is change the 4 to 5 and the problem will go away.  I thought I read there's a better fix for developers around this problem, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

I actually switched to Chrome recently myself.  I'm willing to bet that a fresh browser installation is the main reason it seems faster... no addons or (god forbid) malware.

It's been a fast adjustment, although the download implementation is garbage... no way around it either.

Chrome is faster on some of my slower PCs as well, but they are a fresh install besides ad-block being on them.  YMMV.  I dislike the download implementation as well.  I still use Chrome here and there, but there are definitely a few things different that bug me.  Really hope it gets quick find someday like Firefox has.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:47:09 AM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: