Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 10:25:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329970 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  What are your likes in Video Game and Anime Music?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What are your likes in Video Game and Anime Music?  (Read 5160 times)
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:06:58 AM »

I burn through Video Game Soundtracks whenever I get my hands on one, hoping to find something that would peek my interest or amaze me. It's a hit or miss, but there are times when I get a good amount of tracks that I can indulge myself in that are wonderful to my ears. Usually the tracks I end up loving have at least one of these traits:

- Lyrical [Orchestration was awesome and Soprano's Line is reminiscent of that of Mozart's Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen. Click for more info and comparison.
- Symphonic
- Exotic
- Exciting
- Bombastic
- Unusual
- Heroic [Just first 35 seconds, the rest is eh]
- Beautiful
- Heartwarming
- Dream-like
- Mysterious [Bulgarian voices: Mysterious ;)]
- Menacing
- Goofy
- Relaxing
- Complexity
- Wit

One characteristic that encapsulates me in complete bliss is the build up to a climatic end (Or middle) that explodes. A good composer to listen to that has music of this nature is Debussy. His "Afternoon of a Faun" and "Girl With the Flaxen Hair" are examples of buildup, one explosive while the latter a beautiful release. What's amazing about these pieces is there ability to build up to that climax, it's literally orgasmic in a vulgar way to describe it. BUT WAIT, VIDEO GAME.

A composer that totally captures my ears and check-boxes most of those characteristic above is Noriyuki Iwadare, Specifically talking about his Grandia I Soundtrack.

Grandia - Ghost Ship

In regards to the buildup, his "Ghost Ship" is a constant push and pull to a finale. It's funny now that I think about it, because when I first played this game and heard this track, I hated it. It sounded uninteresting to me, granted I was probably 14 or 15 when I first played the game. 7-8 years later I hear it again, and it ended up being my favorite track from Iwadare's repertoire. His composing and orchestration was just on point in this track, I even love his devil's laugh insert [0:38] on the violin during the beginning of this track. This piece kind of bears a resemblance to a symphonic poem...

What are your likes in Video Game Music?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:42:36 PM by Wild Armor » Logged

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:00:07 AM »

I like the beautiful, the unusual, the catchy, the classy, and the "feels good man".

This is my favorite kind of bombastic music.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »

Ooo those were great! I forgot about Shadow of the Colossus...amazing music that reminds me of Gundam Wing (;)). I started this topic really late at night and didn't put down other things I like, which crosses into anime music as well... which is when Composers take a bow to the masters of music of old in their compositions-arrangements. Below is a list of this: (There's a GREAT deal of them, but these are what popped into my head first)

- Death Smiles - Death Smiles OST: Hell's Emperor [Johann Sebastian Bach's "Toccata (no fugue) in D minor"]
- Let's Tap - Jupiter (Extreme Tap Edition) [Arrangement/Remix of Gustav Holst's "Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity"]
- Let's Tap - I Got Rhythm (Tap Edition) [George Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm"]

Antonín Dvořák
- The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces Music - BGM (20) [""From the New World" Symphony, Movement 1"]
- Ninety-Nine Nights (N3) OST 02 - From the New World Molto Vivace ["From The New World" Movement 3] (Duel of the Fates? :3)

Antonio Vivaldi
- Ninety-Nine Nights (N3) OST 16 - The Four Seasons "Winter" Allegro [.....This track sucks so hard that I won't even tarnish Vivaldi's name relating it to this mess, so no link. Trust me.]
- Ninety Nine Nights Sountrack: The Four Seasons (eternal mix) [~SUMMER~] (Oh Man,when 7:25 hit, I couldn't stop laughing. Perfect sync, haha I will NEVER mess with birds again)

If you're interested in more of em, I'll post em later :3

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:42:44 AM »

This one is great! The original track also reminds me of Dragon Quest.

Falling from Twin Peaks / Greenvale from Deadly Premonition.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-GfZtLI-CU

I'll always have that one tatooed on my brain.  I can't even explain why.   There are lots more I could list but that song was the first one I though of.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:49:34 AM »

I love that SOTC song. Great stuff.
Esper, that was one of my favorite tracks from FFVII because it was unique.

As for my tastes nowadays, I absolutely LOVE Baba Yetu from Civ 4. Gives me shivers every time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A&feature=related

I like sweeping orchestral music accompanied with a chorus, or even just a great singer. Stuff that makes me go "WOW".
How about something from Tommy Tallarico? Skeleton Warriors OST was great. skip ahead to 6:10 for the choral stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55IV2CB_DDg

I also love the intro tune for the Uncharted games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPF5UiDi4g
More shivers...So awesome.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »

I'm liking exotic arrangements that mix styles. I also love a track that has an immense build or dynamic structure and takes unexpected turns. Individual melodies matter less to me than what's done with them.

Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec from FF8 stands out for me - Moorish/Spanish progressions mixed with laturgical chanting, in a giant early-20th century orchestral arrangement.

Obviously, I have many others, but I need to leave for the moment.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »

Moorish/Spanish progressions

So, one of the defining chord progressions for the entire FFVIII soundtrack is most prominently showcased in the song you cited. And you're on the nose regarding geographical/ethnic root to the progression's popularity.

In music theory detail it's a four measure pattern that looks like this:

measure 1: a minor chord. For this example, let's use A minor itself (I think the piano collection arrangement is in this key). So that's A, C, and E.

measure 2: take the 5th of that minor chord, raise it a half-step to F. Now you have A C F, which is an F major chord, inverted. So far, this is extremely common chord progression. It's not Am's relative major, but it fits the key signature (Am / C), so we went vi to IV in terms of the Roman Numeral system.

measure 3: take that same note we raised, and raise it ANOTHER halfstep. THIS is what makes it unique and brings out that Spanish flavor. Your chord is now A C F#. Fill in the Eb and you can clearly see a full diminished chord.

measure 4: descend back to the F inverted chord from measure two.

This pattern is awesome. It's entrancing. It's much of what makes me adore the FFVIII soundtrack. In terms of scales, adding the F# takes you from Aeolian mode (that is, a natural minor scale) to Dorian mode (minor scale with raised 6). If you also include the Eb for the fully diminished chord (and the main melody hits that Eb!) you're making some sort of crazy modal scale that is best described as Spanish/Moorish. Modern music, esp. jazz, owes its roots to "experimental" ideas like these. After all, the diminished 5th / augmented 4th (A to Eb, to fit this illustration) is "the devil's harmony" and wasn't allowed in many Christian sanctuaries for centuries.

You can see this "hold the bass/foundation note, raise the other notes to create new chords" concept also in Blue Fields, Find Your Way, and other great pieces from the soundtrack.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »

Moorish/Spanish progressions

So, one of the defining chord progressions for the entire FFVIII soundtrack is most prominently showcased in the song you cited. And you're on the nose regarding geographical/ethnic root to the progression's popularity.

In music theory detail it's a four measure pattern that looks like this:

measure 1: a minor chord. For this example, let's use A minor itself (I think the piano collection arrangement is in this key). So that's A, C, and E.

measure 2: take the 5th of that minor chord, raise it a half-step to F. Now you have A C F, which is an F major chord, inverted. So far, this is extremely common chord progression. It's not Am's relative major, but it fits the key signature (Am / C), so we went vi to IV in terms of the Roman Numeral system.

measure 3: take that same note we raised, and raise it ANOTHER halfstep. THIS is what makes it unique and brings out that Spanish flavor. Your chord is now A C F#. Fill in the Eb and you can clearly see a full diminished chord.

measure 4: descend back to the F inverted chord from measure two.

This pattern is awesome. It's entrancing. It's much of what makes me adore the FFVIII soundtrack. In terms of scales, adding the F# takes you from Aeolian mode (that is, a natural minor scale) to Dorian mode (minor scale with raised 6). If you also include the Eb for the fully diminished chord (and the main melody hits that Eb!) you're making some sort of crazy modal scale that is best described as Spanish/Moorish. Modern music, esp. jazz, owes its roots to "experimental" ideas like these. After all, the diminished 5th / augmented 4th (A to Eb, to fit this illustration) is "the devil's harmony" and wasn't allowed in many Christian sanctuaries for centuries.

You can see this "hold the bass/foundation note, raise the other notes to create new chords" concept also in Blue Fields, Find Your Way, and other great pieces from the soundtrack.

Get chords you talked about, and play them descending at a fast speed.

E C A
F C A
F# C A

FF6 boss theme intro chord outline. ;) Genius. I giggled in glee when I read your post Ramza. That's what I was thinking the whole time.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »

My my, that IS FFVI!

I'd secretly thought VI and VIII had a lot in common, musically. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »

My my, that IS FFVI!

I'd secretly thought VI and VIII had a lot in common, musically. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Oh, no problem. ;) When it comes to video game music, nothing can hide from me :3

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 05:29:10 AM »

Speaking of which, did anyone notice that in Blue Dragon, Uematsu used, essentially, the Figaro Castle theme, arranged it into heavy metal, and made a dungeon theme?

Oh, and the mode you are looking for for Fithos Lusec (the Dorian with the lowered 2nd) is "Phrygian Dominant". It's a fairly common mode used to approximate moorish music (though I'm guessing that since a lot of moorish musical practice was influenced by the Greeks, it's not really all that far from western musical practice). However, unlike a lot of things that blatently go for the middle-eastern feel (I'm guilty myself, I'll admit), Fithos Lusec doesn't hammer that flat-2, natural-3 interval all the time, it just slips the flat-2 in during a few choice spots for coloration. And it never even appears during the main progression.

Fascinating piece, though. Too bad the orchestral arrangement made some poor production choices with the female voice part. Unlike some people, I can sort of understand what they were going for, but some mixing producer screwed up along the way and put the voice way too far forward, with the wrong reverb, so it doesn't sound like she's in the same hall. She's NOT out of tune though, it's simply a whole-tone scale super-imposed over the pounding bVI, bVII chords. Many people treat it as an accident, but the accident was in the production. If the engineer had been doing their job, it would have sounded natural, though dissonant, and people would have believed that it was purposeful. It really ticks me off when people mistake a bad production decision for a performance error. That singer was spot-on, with a VERY difficult part... and they ruined it!

Sorry </rant>

Problem was, the chorus was recorded in a hall. And the female voice part was recorded separately. That's okay, and do-able... but they should have booked the same hall again and recorded her in it, alone. Also, no solo vocalist can sing THAT LOUD over the top of a huge chanting choir, so it's just not believable that there's a person in the same room with the choir. We go from a fairly traditional acoustic space that we're comfortable with, to our ears telling us... "oooh... something's wrong". I'd have loved to have heard that piece recorded properly, with the vocalist mixed lower and in the same room, THAT would have been intense!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:34:33 AM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »

I don't know what the hell some of you guys are talking about. All that stuff just goes way over my head. I just like good music, dammit!
I suppose it's kind of like when I start talking about plants with the Latin names and peoples eyes glaze over.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »

Speaking of which, did anyone notice that in Blue Dragon, Uematsu used, essentially, the Figaro Castle theme, arranged it into heavy metal, and made a dungeon theme?

Oh, and the mode you are looking for for Fithos Lusec (the Dorian with the lowered 2nd) is "Phrygian Dominant". It's a fairly common mode used to approximate moorish music (though I'm guessing that since a lot of moorish musical practice was influenced by the Greeks, it's not really all that far from western musical practice). However, unlike a lot of things that blatently go for the middle-eastern feel (I'm guilty myself, I'll admit), Fithos Lusec doesn't hammer that flat-2, natural-3 interval all the time, it just slips the flat-2 in during a few choice spots for coloration. And it never even appears during the main progression.

Fascinating piece, though. Too bad the orchestral arrangement made some poor production choices with the female voice part. Unlike some people, I can sort of understand what they were going for, but some mixing producer screwed up along the way and put the voice way too far forward, with the wrong reverb, so it doesn't sound like she's in the same hall. She's NOT out of tune though, it's simply a whole-tone scale super-imposed over the pounding bVI, bVII chords. Many people treat it as an accident, but the accident was in the production. If the engineer had been doing their job, it would have sounded natural, though dissonant, and people would have believed that it was purposeful. It really ticks me off when people mistake a bad production decision for a performance error. That singer was spot-on, with a VERY difficult part... and they ruined it!

Sorry </rant>

Problem was, the chorus was recorded in a hall. And the female voice part was recorded separately. That's okay, and do-able... but they should have booked the same hall again and recorded her in it, alone. Also, no solo vocalist can sing THAT LOUD over the top of a huge chanting choir, so it's just not believable that there's a person in the same room with the choir. We go from a fairly traditional acoustic space that we're comfortable with, to our ears telling us... "oooh... something's wrong". I'd have loved to have heard that piece recorded properly, with the vocalist mixed lower and in the same room, THAT would have been intense!

I didn't get a chance to listen to the whole piece until today. Sir, your comments on Fithos Lusec  is hardly a rant. It sounded awful and should have been axed out. There is no reason to include a separate track recording if it isn't going to be mixed to hall acoustic to sound like where the chorus was recorded. Also, thanks for distinguishing that mode! I'm a fan of the modern Phrygian mode because of it's spicey flavor. I believe that is what that Pokemon Pearl/Diamond Gym leader battle is written in (For all I know it could be natural minor with Flat 2 - wait a second! ;) )

If you ever wanted give yourself a bull fight chordal theme:

E G A
F A C
G B D
F A C
E G A

Of course there's a lot more than that to your bull fight; Explore some ;)

Oh, and speaking of Blue Dragon OST and similarities; Isn't the theme from "The Mechanical Temple" just an Augmentation of "Guardia Millennium Fair"?

By the way, I changed the topic title to include anime music as well. Composers cross over both regions and I listen to music from anime almost as much as Game Music. Next post will have anime tracks included :3

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »

By the way, I changed the topic title to include anime music as well. Composers cross over both regions and I listen to music from anime almost as much as Game Music. Next post will have anime tracks included :3

Oh man, if you are going to broaden the topic to include anime osts, I'll contribute to this thread later as well. The hard thing will be narrowing down choices.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: