Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319226 Posts in 13034 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  What are your likes in Video Game and Anime Music?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What are your likes in Video Game and Anime Music?  (Read 4879 times)
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »

Those are some awesome chord progressions, Ramza and Wild Armor! I'm a guitarist and would love to learn more funky chord progressions. Are there any especially good chord progressions? Or is there a site with lots of funky chord progressions you could refer me to? Thanks!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »

Sounds like you could use a good jazz theory raping... I mean class. You'll get your fill of interesting chords and alternate voicings. I really really want a refresher myself! I've been watching a bunch of jazz musicians for the past week here at our local music festival/camp. The piano player, Barney McClure, is a jazz God among men (gigged around the west coast for years, did a lot of film music back in the day). I asked him whether I could take some of his jazz classes next year, and he wouldn't let me because he thought I would be too advanced. But he's wrong! I've been playing in folk bands too long, and my jazz chops are rusty!

Anyway, there's few places to get a better grasp of awesome chords than in jazz land.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »

I am a big fan of woodwind and string instruments so tracks with them used heavily and well tend to be my favorites. I also like orchestrated  pieces that constantly build until they peak near the finish of the track.
Kow Otani - Neres Koudou Kaishi!!
Toshihiko Sahashi -Apologine (Breecker Street)
TKen Shima - And Forever (Grand Central)
Toshio Masuda - Those Who Inherit The Will of Fire
Toshihiko Sahashi - Desetsu no Ri Maajon (youtube picture isn't exactly work safe)
Toshihiko Sahashi -Tokubetsu na Mirai to Tameni...
Mitsumune Shinkichi - Atatakana Kokoro
Matsutani Suguru - Yuuhi no Waltz
Naoki Sato - Destiny (Sadame)
Masamichi Amano - ojousamam no kareinaru gekijou
Taku Iwasaki - Tamashii no Nuke Kara ( melancholic version of God Save the Queen)
Taku Iwasaki - Living Sin
Hikaru Nanase - Meiya (not anime)
Seikou Nagaoka - Infurita love song
Kenji Kawai - Heartbeat of "Shinma

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:05:11 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »

I'm a big fan of Gundam orchestra music. Love most Gundam shows and I think some of the background scores in Gundam 00 by Kenji Kawai (also composed Patlabor) and Zeta Gundam are extremely epic. Not a huge fan of the theme songs. Most are too much like club or dance music. Though they fit the show great.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »

Those are some awesome chord progressions, Ramza and Wild Armor! I'm a guitarist and would love to learn more funky chord progressions. Are there any especially good chord progressions? Or is there a site with lots of funky chord progressions you could refer me to? Thanks!

Sounds like you could use a good jazz theory raping... I mean class. You'll get your fill of interesting chords and alternate voicings.

That pretty much konks it on the head. For myself, I look at the scores of Music when I hear something I really like when it comes to a chord progression or style. I would recommend learning to read the different clefs there are in music, transposition of instruments, and chord names (Such as Dominant 7 (major Chord with a minor 7th)).

In other words, I can not recommend any sites for funky chord progressions, rather give you the advice to learn those things and look at scores of music. You'll more than likely come across something you'll love in a piece of music and want to "borrow" it and use it for your own stuff. Just don't claim the Tristan chord. ;)

The best site for Open Domain music scores: Petrucci Music Library

In regards to Anime

One Composer that I find his music to just be excting and epic across both anime and game is Koh Otani. Everytime I hear music from Shadow of the Colossus, I think of Gundam Wing and Vica Verse.

Gundam Wing Operation 1 OST - 08 - Eternity & Infinity Are I (Gundam Wing or A Battle with a Colossus?) :3
Shadow of the Colossus OST, T16: In Awe of the Power ~Battle with the Colossus~

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »

Yeah, Otani has some very epic tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvxzTKboAGA
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 01:29:03 AM »

Yeah, Otani has some very epic tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvxzTKboAGA

This just screams Otani. Perhaps my favorite from him out of the Shadows of the Colossus OST is "A Despair-filled Farewell ~Battle With the Colossus~".

I've gotten into the habit of listening to Shadow's soundtrack as a Programmatic piece of music. Every twist and turn I am filled with images of Wander climbing and struggling to keep on the Colossus. Here's a breakdown of what I image when I hear this piece.

From the very beginning of the piece until , Wander encounters and is frightfully enthralled by the Great Colossus. He soon snaps out of his spell and begins ascending a nearby pillar, mountain side, cliff, etc, and anticipates the Colossus's movement. [0:00 - 0:42] It isn't until [0:48] that he leaps onto the Creature, regains his composure, and then begin to ascend the Colossus at [0:54]. From here Wander begins his climb of to the top of the Colossus's head. He reaches the point of weakness at [1:06], where he steadies his body to deliver the first blow. The first stab is executed at [1:18], the Colossus staggers and moans from [1:20 - 1:29]. Wander then plunges his sword in the Colossus's head a second time, in which the Colossus begins to Twist and fall to the floor, while Wander is gripping for his dear life on the creatures hair/fur/ect. The falling of primary staggering and soon collapse of the Colossus to my mind is shown through the descending line in the strings at [1:21 & 1:33]. The rest of the piece [1:42 - End] is a steady, slow collapse of the Colossus, where he makes impact with the ground at [2:03]

Yes, I am filled with images all the time when listening to music. It's game music like this that caused me to garner my love for "Classical" Music and nudged me to take the path of Music, specifically Music History, at the College I attend. As pretentious as it sounds, I hope to include video game music in my Music History discussion in the classroom, as a student and [hopefully] a Professor. And Now you know my story. Good day to you all. :3

darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »

Thank you, Wild Armor. The Dominant 7th and Tristan Chord are real cool. If you think of any others, please let me know. :)

And thank you for the suggestion, Prime Mover. Classes are out of my price range, but I'll look for info about jazz songs online. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:13:04 AM by darcthelad » Logged
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »

Thank you, Wild Armor. The Dominant 7th and Tristan Chord are real cool. If you think of any others, please let me know. :)

Can't really think of anything else. Listen to music you like and break out the guitar/keys and try to match pitch with the chord is being played if you pass by something you like. :3

Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »

Really enjoying alot of the Ar Tonelico 2 soundtrack right now, as well as Xenosaga 2 and 3.... And I've been jogging to the outlaw star OST as of late-LoL

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: