Author Topic: Sony implements online pass

CDFN

• View Profile
Sony implements online pass
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:23:20 PM »
Heads up people, if you plan on buying upcoming sony first party MP games like Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 second hand, you will have to buy an online pass.

SCEA responded to requests for comment this morning to clarify, saying this program requires customers to input a one-time use code to access a game's online capabilities, similar to EA's Online Pass introduced last year.

"We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering, and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities," the spokesperson said. "This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title.

"This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."

If you don't have a code to input, say if you purchase a game used, you'll have to buy one through the Store. It's unclear how much one of these PSN Pass codes will cost, however. Sony said it will announce additional details at a later date.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Sony implements online pass
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »
SCEA responded to requests for comment this morning to clarify, saying this program requires customers to input a one-time use code to access a game's online capabilities, similar to EA's Online Pass introduced last year.

SCEE has the same system in place. White Knight Chronicles: Origins also came with a one-time use voucher for online play.

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:27:14 PM »
aw... the one-time use aspect is unfortunate.

Even if people buy a game used, if the key is there, they should be able to play.  I thought the goal was to keep pirates off their servers, who obviously wouldn't have keys.

I just installed Battlefield 2 using the legit CD-key from the game case.  Half-Life 2, on the other hand, is garbage now.  I used the key years ago, forgot my fucking Steam information, and now I'll have to buy the game again if I want to play.  The key is right here, useless.

I still think Sony is mainly trying to keep pirates off their servers, but the one-time use aspect is convenient enough for them to keep.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »
aw... the one-time use aspect is unfortunate.

Even if people buy a game used, if the key is there, they should be able to play.  I thought the goal was to keep pirates off their servers, who obviously wouldn't have keys.

I just installed Battlefield 2 using the legit CD-key from the game case.  Half-Life 2, on the other hand, is garbage now.  I used the key years ago, forgot my fucking Steam information, and now I'll have to buy the game again if I want to play.  The key is right here, useless.

I still think Sony is mainly trying to keep pirates off their servers, but the one-time use aspect is convenient enough for them to keep.

It's not only that. People who buy the game used aren't giving sony any money but they still use the game to play online. Server maintenance costs a lot of money, I guess this is the price to pay for a free PSN. If people had to pay a subscription to play online they probably wouldn't do this. As things are (and let's hope it stays this way) this is the only way for sony to get some revenue from people who are playing online with second hand copies.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:56:10 PM »
I think the keys are locked to a certain PS3 after use.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »
And of course the gaming comunity is already showing how fucking pathetic it can be. Let's boycott resistance 3!

Insomniac already reacted through twitter:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/insomniac-twitter-response-to-resistance-3-boycotters-6671

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
this is dumb why cant they just print a code on the inside cover of the case? this crusade against used games is really starting to annoy me. durr we are a publicly traded company so we must increase profits any way possible...

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »
It's not a crusade against used games at all.  It's a crusade against people buying used copies and then playing multiplayer on their servers.

Want to buy a used copy, thereby not supporting the developer or publisher at all?  No problem!  You can play the single-player campaign as much as you want.  Go crazy.

Want to play online with your used copy?  Then be prepared to pay up.  It's no different than the one-time-use serial numbers for online RPGs.  Pay up, cheap-asses.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »
Want to buy a used copy, thereby not supporting the developer or publisher at all?

Errr none of that money will go to the developers Parn. It's straight to Sony.
That weirds me out because if one game is bought, they receive the money and must assume 1 person on their server. If you trade the game, it's still only one person on their server.
Why should they get extra money for the exact same strain on the server?

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
Want to buy a used copy, thereby not supporting the developer or publisher at all?

Errr none of that money will go to the developers Parn. It's straight to Sony.
That weirds me out because if one game is bought, they receive the money and must assume 1 person on their server. If you trade the game, it's still only one person on their server.
Why should they get extra money for the exact same strain on the server?

Bottom line is you're using a service you didn't pay for (at least not to the ones providing it). I'm not crazy about it either but if this is what it takes to keep PSN a free service so be it.
This boycotting idea is BS though, it can do huge damage to the developer (hell, in this day and age it can shut'em down) and it will be of no consequence to sony. They've made the decision and we might as well get used to it because this is how it will be in the future. If you want to use online and not pay $60 wait for a price drop instead of buying used. At least this way the developers also get their share, not just gamestop and sony when you buy the code.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »
the problem with this logic is that games without online play dont cost less. knock 10(or whatever the cost of the pass is) bucks off the price of games without online play then we can talk. if you still wanna charge $60 dlc better damn well be free.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »
Yet another reason I'm glad I never play games online.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »
Yet another reason I'm glad I never play games online.

Yeah, I'm the same. I could get angry on peoples behalf, but it doesn't effect me so I should probably just stay out of it :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »
^^^^^^^^ditto what they said.
Everything's Eventual

Vanguard

• I am America, and I hate JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
It's not a crusade against used games at all.  It's a crusade against people buying used copies and then playing multiplayer on their servers.

Want to buy a used copy, thereby not supporting the developer or publisher at all?  No problem!  You can play the single-player campaign as much as you want.  Go crazy.

Want to play online with your used copy?  Then be prepared to pay up.  It's no different than the one-time-use serial numbers for online RPGs.  Pay up, cheap-asses.

This is stupid.
Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.