Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331782 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Elder Scrolls IV Anniversary (Sp?) Edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV Anniversary (Sp?) Edition  (Read 733 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »

The Elder Scrolls series is one that just slipped by me being that I am a heavy J-Rpg-nut but I heard so many good things about these games..... Tomarrow the Elder Scrolls 4 Anniversay edition comes out and the guys at my gamestore almost have me convinced but I want to know what some of you other J-Rpg fans think? With Catherine on the way and whatnot is this title worth it? Did you guys, who also found this title not particularly suited to your typical tastes, discover it to be enjoyable?

And one last question..... I'm big into customizing stuff, especially appearances.... How versatile is all of that in Elder Scrolls IV? Thank you all for your time and feedback.... I adore the advice I recieve in this forum :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »

The game is pretty huge and I think graphically it still looks pretty (except for the faces). The fun in the game lies in the side quests for some of the different "factions" and the ability to take things at your own pace.

As far as customization goes you can mess around with the way your character looks a lot, and every weapon/armor you equip changes the character model.

The main beef I have w/ this game is the level up system. In theory it's awesome but if you play w/ mixed tactics like a jack of all trades you'll find yourself over matched later on in the game.

The way it works is you have the usual attributes like strength, endurance, etc where you spend points once you level up. You level up by using skills . This is anything from simply moving and jumping to casting spells and using weapons. (I'll still maintain that becoming a "Master of Blunt" is the best thing I've ever done).

For example, you have a level progress bar that fills up a little each time one of your skills levels up. Say you do nothing but use heavy armor and swing a big axe. Each time you take a hit wearing that armor your heavy armor meter fills up a bit and when it fills up all the way once the level progress bar fills up. How many times you level up certain related skills, like heavy armor and blunt weapons, depends on how many attribute points you can add to strength, intelligence, etc.

So when you level up you can add points to three attributes, and if you don't use related skills you'll only get a few points, 2 or 3, when you need to get at least 4 or 5. Getting 4 or 5 means you used a lot of related skills wisely.

The problem I had is I liked sneaking, I liked using some heavy weapons, I used some magic, even some ranged attacks. So by using random stuff like that I'd only get 3s to level up. By the time I was level 30 I was getting punked big time by trolls and other baddies.

Thankfully this game has a pretty good difficulty slide bar, where you can adjust it so it "feels just right" and not too hard or easy.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »

If you can play it on your PC then yes, get it. And mod the hell out of it.

If you'd be getting it on a console, skip it.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »

I'm going to have to agree with this. I got it as a combo pack with Bioshock for 360 and it's not that great a game. It's fun to explore and all, but everything just feels so unfair and unbalanced, even exploration. And it's hard as hell to figure out the conversation system even after looking it up.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »

I'm going to have to agree with this. I got it as a combo pack with Bioshock for 360 and it's not that great a game. It's fun to explore and all, but everything just feels so unfair and unbalanced, even exploration. And it's hard as hell to figure out the conversation system even after looking it up.

Yup, exactly. I am a massive Elder Scrolls fan, but without mods, I doubt I would have ever enjoyed them that much.

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:19:41 AM »

Get it Klyde Chroma, on whatever hardware you have. It's an excellent game with or without mods. I find the 360 version more balanced after the official patch, without, it was a bit buggy. Plenty of levelling info online if you need help with it.

I am on my 2nd playthrough after getting goty ed on the 360, thats not counting the attempted ps3 playthrough where the Vamp bug killed my save and soul.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: