Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 06:45:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327633 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  Comments on main site.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Comments on main site.  (Read 4223 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »

I'm not sure how possible this would be to implement on the current site, but it would be nice to be able to leave comments under articles and possibly reviews.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »

I suggested this once a while ago as well (as I'm sure other people have). The more I think about it, the more it doesn't seem necessary. We already talk about the news stories on games on the forums and it would be a shame to see them become less active because people have already said their piece on the matter on a comment box. Also, now that I am a reviewer I would never want a comment section on reviews!  XD

Who is the most vocal when it comes to game reviews? The people who disagree with you. People who agree with you never say so, they just nod their head and get on with their business. If someone disagrees with you, you will know about it, then in a years time when people look back on that review they are just gonna see a big list of complaints and then it will make it seem like you didn't have a valid point.

That's just the way I see it, anyway. The guys in charge may have a totally different reason.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:23 PM »

Yeah, I though this might have come up at some point, browsed through a few pages of this section of the forums but couldn't find it. I can see this as potential flame bait, but you'll still need to be signed up to post so it doesn't really differ that much from the forums. The reason I'm suggesting this is because there are times where I would like to leave some feedback. For example, I love the music in that indie games trailer they posted today, but it seems highly impractical to start a new topic just to say that.

NOW PLAYING:
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:41 PM »

Yeah, I though this might have come up at some point, browsed through a few pages of this section of the forums but couldn't find it. I can see this as potential flame bait, but you'll still need to be signed up to post so it doesn't really differ that much from the forums. The reason I'm suggesting this is because there are times where I would like to leave some feedback. For example, I love the music in that indie games trailer they posted today, but it seems highly impractical to start a new topic just to say that.

If you have facebook or twitter you can comment that way?

EDIT: Comments on news defiantly doesn't seem as bad as comments on the actual reviews.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:03:59 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:12:37 PM »

Comments on news defiantly doesn't seem as bad as comments on the actual reviews.

If I have to be honest, I was a little iffy about commenting on reviews as well, that's why I put possibly there. I'm mainly interested in news comments.

NOW PLAYING:
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »

It'd be interesting to get comments on news since not everyone who reads them has FB/Twitter. Our current structure doesn't allow for really easy implementation of a comment system, I don't think.

Not sure how I'd feel about comments on reviews though - I'd leave that up to the reviewers to decide (if we add commenting in the future).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:39:17 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »

would it be possible to have a forum where news items are duplicated as topics? then people could respond there?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »

I don’t think that would be possible, Alisha. Our newsies do such a great job that the forum would get real big, real fast. And I imagine there are lots of stories nobody wants to comment on.

We have definitely talked as staff about the possibility of adding comments. I think the technical challenges would be significant based on the way the site is structured. It'd be easier if we were database-driven. But that carries challenges of its own.

For now, Facebook and Twitter are the best place to comment, but it's not out of the question that we'd implement something in the future. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:20:59 AM »

okay i follow rpgfan on twitter but ive never actually checked its twitter page :o

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »

okay i follow rpgfan on twitter but ive never actually checked its twitter page :o

Apart from the "What are you playing this week?" its a very desolate interaction.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 01:28:53 AM »

We cross-post on both, but people seem to interact way more on FB than on Twitter. Even though they both get all the same posts/items. Twitter used to be more lively in terms of replies actually - maybe that was before our FB page was up.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 01:12:24 PM »

It's mostly just a news stream, they won't reply if they don't think they will get one back. Facebook allows them to interact with other people better than Twitter does in that regard.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »

When it's questions/discussions rather than news, there's more to reply to/talk about. But on FB you have a discussion with a bunch of readers at once like on the forums. On Twitter it's multiple individual convos.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: