Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 04:26:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332769 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  emotional RPG's ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: emotional RPG's ?  (Read 10602 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 06:24:33 AM »

Heh it happened again yesterday....

I was playing Nier and at some point your daughter Noah starts to ask you some things like a melon, watermelon etc ... turns out she was preparing a cake for me because she thought i was working too hard for her sake.

See these little things make a game come alive and the way the character presents it is fantastic.

Second, if you come to the desert city for the first time and try to visit the king you notice you cannot understand their language. At one point you help a little girl that dropped a bowl of fruit in thanks she tries to communicate with you through gestures and then shows you around town.

The way she "communicates" alone is rather fun but then when she goes running around trying to show you the different things in town she makes this "huf - huf" noise very faintly like you might do yourself if you are jogging.
Its so incredibly cute i couldn't resist following her. Then the game gives you the option to skip the tour with the girl, but i just wanted to continue since she made all the effort to show me around. The dialogue between Weiss and Nier is very funny at that point. I don't know what happens if you do stop the tour prematurely, does anyone know ?

My god i don't get why people dislike this game, yes it has some fetch quests but that's it, don't just stare at the graphics, give me a game like Nier any day !

Wait untill you learn the girl's full story including the events before the game described in the grimmoire.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
wyvernshill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »

You mean Yonah or the girl in the desert city ?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 08:13:54 AM »

You mean Yonah or the girl in the desert city ?

The girl in the desert city you were talking about.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Elincia

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »

I suggest Crisis Core : Final Fantasy VII. The mix between the sad mood of the soundtrack and the fatality of the story is rather astonishing. Believe me, if you've already beaten FF VII, you'll love this one. It is really moving. Besides, it is really short (something like twenty hours or so).

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 09:53:32 AM »

i couldnt be bothered to care about crisis core since you only get to control zack. why does SE keeps making these sequels that take a shit on the original games?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »

Not sure what you're talking about there, crisis core is fantastic and FFVII's rich backstory easily justifies its existence.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 10:55:20 AM »

Thanks for the reminder about Crisis Core. I should play that. I love the world of FFVII.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »

Thanks for the reminder about Crisis Core. I should play that. I love the world of FFVII.

I'm surprised you haven't checked it out yet.

badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »

Hey, Wyvernshill; you played FFVI yet?
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »

not a game, but watch this

That is an amazing show. Seriously. Everyone that hasn't seen it need to watch it. The whole thing is on both Hulu and youtube completely free and legal. Go watch!

As for an emotional game. Plenty of decent ones have been named. I'll add Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I see it get panned a lot in the story department. But it really struck a nerve with me, particularly how the character Nina was handled.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 12:31:48 AM »

If we're bringing up shows, may I suggest Futurama? I know I can't be the only one who's felt during some of these episodes.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2011, 02:49:12 AM »

Star Ocean 2

If you honestly think that any of those games could tell an emotional story then I suggest you start with Beyond the Beyond. You'll be weeping by the end of the first third of the game.

Seriously though, all the games mentioned in this post are terrible, storywise.

Granted its been forever and a day since I played it but what was so terrible about SO2? I recall it being rather average up until the halfway mark when
Code:
the planet you've been trying to save goes "boom"
and also recalling that as an emotional kick in the teeth; after that it had my attention in full. It wasn't a masterpiece but "terrible"?
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2011, 03:56:09 AM »

not a game, but watch this

That is an amazing show. Seriously. Everyone that hasn't seen it need to watch it. The whole thing is on both Hulu and youtube completely free and legal. Go watch!

As for an emotional game. Plenty of decent ones have been named. I'll add Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I see it get panned a lot in the story department. But it really struck a nerve with me, particularly how the character Nina was handled.

Just listen to the brilliant OST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=204Iajp9dMo

It's definitely one of those rare good anime shows that are worth watching.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
wyvernshill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2011, 05:36:10 AM »

@ badsanta,

No i haven't played FF VI yet, i mean i have the game and started it a few times but never got around to really start playing it. Let's call it just a "sampling".

I did play FF IV for a while and don't know if i got very far (a bit further than the big "event" with the twins, but the game throws so many random encounters at you in every dungeon or overworld that i just couldn't get me to play it anymore.

@ hell_snake sounds great, i haven't heard of this series before, but i'll track it down once i found a bit more info on it.

P.S. I updated my list of RPG's (mainly PS2) in my first post.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:44:10 AM by wyvernshill » Logged
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »

@ badsanta,

No i haven't played FF VI yet, i mean i have the game and started it a few times but never got around to really start playing it. Let's call it just a "sampling".

You want an emotional, somber RPG, then play this game. It may not seem like it so much at first, but by the end... well, don't take it from me; just play the game, and see for yourself. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: