Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 11:28:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338370 Posts in 13852 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Change in RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Change in RPGs?  (Read 3638 times)
King Leo
My Canary

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »

I've played a lot of RPGs and I've noticed that for the most part they only use about 4 different settings. Medievil, futuristic, modern, steampunk, or some kind of hybrid.

There haven't been that many that have branched away from this. Wild Arms is late 1800s Western, Fabled 2 resembles colonial America, and I suppose I could count Valkyrie Profile for a Nordic setting. There was also Shadow Hearts series which I believed approached period settings. Do you wish to see a bit more diversity? What particular settings do you prefer?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:03:57 PM by King Leo » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:16:12 PM »

Well, you can do a lot with each of those settings, futuristic is a very broad definition for example.
But I agree, the examples you mentioned above were indeed refreshing and I would like to see more games try different things.
I particularly loved the way Fallout 3 mixed futuristic post-apocalyptic with the 1960's.
Persona 4 also stands out for taking place in a small japanese village, it had a completely different feel than the typical modern urban setting.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Summoner Yuna

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »

Haha, you echoed my thoughts perfectly about settings in RPGs. I've played mostly JRPGs but recently I've dabbled into WRPGs. WRPGs tend to be more susceptible of the medieval/futuristic classification than JRPGs but both have produced games with a certain variety. Final Fantasy is a series that calls my attention because it's one of the few that mixes magic with technology. The first Final Fantasies on the NES were the most medieval ones, but then a certain FFVII came into the picture with its heavy steampunk. It's curious because with JRPGs I don't mind so much the setting but with WRPGs I tend to strictly prefer the medieval fantasy ones. It's just a quirk of mine and I can't really explain why is that. Maybe because I feel WRPGs tend to flourish in that setting. They generally do it very well and it feels right. I guess that something like Mass Effect or Fallout would be interesting to play, but it would feel like a any other Hollywood sci-fi flick. Anyways, I just feel more entertained with medieval fantasy than science fiction. It boils down to a personal preference.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »

Speaking of Fable's setting... they always jump ahead in time with each new Fable. I wonder if this means we'll see a Fable set in modern times, then on to futuristic? I hope not. I like the way Earthbound played out in a modern world. It was kinda modern and realistic, but man.. not really, either. :P
A.I.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

Well i personally would like to see more RPGs with a cyberpunk setting.. and i'm still a bit mad at microsoft for making such a boring shooter out of the shadowrun license.

In general i haven't any preferences when it comes to the setting of an RPG but i do care about the aesthetics in a game. For me the setting doesn't have to be anything surprisingly new or fresh as long as it is believable.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:13:46 PM by A.I. » Logged
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:56:44 PM »

The first Final Fantasies on the NES were the most medieval ones, but then a certain FFVII came into the picture with its heavy steampunk.

FFVI was more steam punk than FFVII.

"Oh, a hunter..."
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »

Well i personally would like to see more RPGs with a cyberpunk setting.. and i'm still a bit mad at microsoft for making such a boring shooter out of the shadowrun license.

In general i haven't any preferences when it comes to the setting of an RPG but i do care about the aesthetics in a game. For me the setting doesn't have to be anything surprisingly new or fresh as long as it is believable.

Another vote for Cyberpunk. That's the setting I think with the most potential right now. Especially since some of the things we thought were impossible yesterday look like near-future possibilities today. Take for example Deus Ex's human augmentation argument.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »

Another vote for Cyberpunk. That's the setting I think with the most potential right now. Especially since some of the things we thought were impossible yesterday look like near-future possibilities today. Take for example Deus Ex's human augmentation argument.

What? Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWSbXoT1IvY

Sarif Industries might not be so far away.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:01:53 PM by Annubis » Logged
King Leo
My Canary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »

I thought Fallout 3 was a resemblance of the 50s instead of the 60s.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »

what exactly is cyber punk? just checked this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cyberpunk_anime_and_manga
and it seems awfully broad. i've seen seen Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and Silent Mobius and they seem barely similar except for having female dominated cast's. if you ask me all those steam punk shows could b placed under the sci fi umbrella.

i do think that FFX had an interesting setting. a somehwat fresh take on post apocalyptic. i sorta also like sci fi fantasy like the phantasy star series and xenosaga.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »

Translation of OP: Why do all RPGs seem to take place in a time period between 300 AD and thousands of years in the future?

You know, I don't know. But when I think about it that way, it doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

But I digress. It am getting pretty bored of the following three settings:

Tolkein rip-offs (e.g. Elder Scrolls, Fable)
Star Trek/Wars rip-offs (e.g. Mass Effect)
Post-apocalyptic wasteland (e.g. Fallout 3, Borderlands)

If you're bothered I only listed WRPGs as examples, well qq. It's one their biggest faults: uninspired settings. JRPGs may have cooky characters and goofy outfits, but I'll be darned if their settings aren't dazzling.

As for settings I'd like to see done proper? Steam punk. And I don't mean the way the Japanese do it (which is pretty darned cool). But straight up Jules Verne / H.G. Wells / Mark Twain sort of thing. You know, like Arcanum.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »

what exactly is cyber punk? just checked this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cyberpunk_anime_and_manga
and it seems awfully broad. i've seen seen Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and Silent Mobius and they seem barely similar except for having female dominated cast's. if you ask me all those steam punk shows could b placed under the sci fi umbrella.

i do think that FFX had an interesting setting. a somehwat fresh take on post apocalyptic. i sorta also like sci fi fantasy like the phantasy star series and xenosaga.

I don't know about you, but when I hear cyberpunk I think Ghost in The Shell.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but when I think cyperpunk I think William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Bladerunner, and the many classic Cyperpunk pen and paper RPGs like Shadowrun and...well, Cyberpunk.

I'm a huge anime nerd and yet I can't understand why you're only listing anime examples.  For one thing, cyberpunk definitely started in the west.

King Leo
My Canary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »

How would y'all dig a groovy rpg?
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 11:36:35 PM »

I don't know about you, but when I hear cyberpunk I think Ghost in The Shell.

Ghost in the Shell is cyberpunk all over.A near-futuristic society with cyborg bodies,prosthetic limbs,artificial intelligence,optical camouflage etc.

I would love more cyberpunk RPGs like Deus Ex,more colonial America era games like Fable 2 and I would like to see more RPGs create stories of the Imperial Rome era. 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: