Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 08:53:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334784 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The word: gameplay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The word: gameplay  (Read 1673 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »

What does it mean anyway?
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »

That's a pretty stupid article in my opinion. When I use gameplay (and I perceive it to be the same when other do) it means the actual mechanics of the game. How I am actually interacting. "Bookread"...that's stupid. There are equivalents of gameplay for other media. For books, I'd say the prose, the verse, etc. For movies, the visuals, maybe the soundtrack. The point is, you can split apart any of these into their individual components to talk about them.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »

There are a lot of elements that go into a game.  'Bookread' is stupid because what else would you do with a book?  But plenty of games do have non-interactive, non-'gameplay', sequences.  For me 'gameplay' refers to the actual interactive mechanics, which is distinctly different from story, art design, soundtracks, etc.

Does the word get misused?  Certainly.  Many words do.  That doesn't mean we should throw them out entirely.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »

Oh look, it's people telling you how to think and speak again! This person would be less upset if we made up a word like "mangangulus" to replace the word gameplay.

Oh, the graphics weren't very good but the mangangulus was fantastic!

It's called gameplay because that's the way the game plays. It is not The Game. The Game is the entire package.

The writer may have a point about it not following the usual rules of the English language, but so what? Plenty of people throughout history have hated certain words because they view them as silly/inferior/barbarous. Believe it or not using words such as "Lengthy", "Reliable", "Talented", "Influential" and "Tremendous" all received flak from many English "experts" such as novelists, writers, poets and other academics. People obviously got over THAT.

No one is confused. People may use it wrongly, but fuck them. There are people who get the meaning of a word way off with everything. The person who told the dev that the explosion was bad gameplay was clearly a moron. The problem here isn't with words, it is with stupid people who refuse to use the word correctly. My, we sure do love making a big deal out of nothing. Don't we. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 05:22:31 PM »

Wow, that article is retarded. So much BS.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »

Gameplay is to games what Soundtrack is to movies.
When many actions can be performed on a media, you need to separate each with a word.
Music and books are retarded comparisons since they only have a single one.
There, article debunked.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:25:45 PM »

That's a pretty stupid article in my opinion. When I use gameplay (and I perceive it to be the same when other do) it means the actual mechanics of the game. How I am actually interacting. "Bookread"...that's stupid. There are equivalents of gameplay for other media. For books, I'd say the prose, the verse, etc. For movies, the visuals, maybe the soundtrack. The point is, you can split apart any of these into their individual components to talk about them.

That

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »

i love how he compared non interactive medias to an interactive one... FAIL!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »

Eh...that just opens up another can of worms regarding what you mean by interact. I mean, I know I used interact to refer to one part of the videogame, but really even listening to music is a form of interaction. It's just silly that this guy is blaming a word over other people's ineffectual expression. The word is not the problem.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »

A tad bight high and mighty isn't he?

Everything's Eventual
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »

I'm surprised at how willing you people are to reduce so-called "non-interactive" media to a single function. It's arrogant and shows a lack of comprehension about how we interface with something even as "primitive" as a book. Lest we forget, writing is a form of technology.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: