Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:58:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334562 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Harry Potter 7.2: Welcome Back Potter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Harry Potter 7.2: Welcome Back Potter  (Read 1933 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »

I'm super pumped for this, I was hard on the last few movies but after watching them again and separating them from the books I've come to love them.

Has anyone seen it yet? I will probably go on Sunday.
Elincia

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »

I've seen it and I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand you've got these nice special effects which give a nice rendering and the actors act very well but on the other hand man, only two hours, this is too short. You only have a glimpse at the big war, everything seems so frivolous. You don't have the impression that you're watching a movie that closes one of the biggest film saga. What's more they screwed up the final battle between Harry and Tom in my opinion. Whereas the one between Tom and Dumbledore was absolutely epic, this one is ridiculous.
I would give it a 6 out of 10.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »

Only two hours? That's pretty damn disappointing right there. They have a lot to cram in there...
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:23:12 PM »

ONLY 2 hours?
I hate going to the movies nowadays because they last waaaaaaaaaaay too long.
I'll still go see this eventually, when it's not crammed with people... but man, I'm half bummed already.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »

Length of a a move doesn't matter as long as it's good. I only pay attention to time if a movie is sucking.
You would think an EPIC, final chapter of a grand saga, movie like this would require more than 2 hours to cap it off properly. I'd say 2 1/2 at least. Still, as long as it's done well, I'll be happy. The reviews are gushing.
I really want to see it this weekend, but the sheer amount of people doing so will keep me away. We'll probably go next weekend.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »

Just watched it. I thought it was great. Some things were changed significantly but nothing really bothered me. The assault on the castle wasn't quite as epic as I'd hoped but it was still good. The dragon looked amazing, the whole gringotts scene was fantastic.
The best part for me was by far the pensive scene and
Code:
Snape's death
just before it, that whole flashback sequence really made the whole saga come full circle. Snape's character arc is one of the best ever and the whole thing just hits you hard right there.

I think the film's length was perfect, the pacing was excellent and all the relevant scenes got enough time, let's not forget that they dedicated a total of 276 minutes to this book (146+130), I think that overall they did the book justice.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »

Went to see this today! I felt that some parts were rushed- but that's how I generally feel about the HP movies and it didn't bother me much. So overall a really entertaining, solid film. Held back my tears at quite a few scenes. :')

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »

Saw a screening on Wednesday. Really enjoyed it despite having not read the books (I've seen most of the movies). I also thought it would be longer than two hours, so parts felt rushed. The flashbacks made a lot of people tear up.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »

Sawr a film last night oh boy

So I liked it a lot. I felt they did the important things right. The flashback, the moments when he goes into the forest and when he uses the stone are freaking amazing.

The actual big battle was pretty good, but I don't like the changes they made from right after the forest scene to when you know who bites the big one.

Also, the actual ending was a little weak. In the book
He doesn't break the wand, and he talks to albus' painting.
Also the scene from gringot's wasn't as awesome as I had imagined in the book. But maybe that's just the way it goes.

Also, Ginny sucks. Or at least the actress that plays her does. You can look at that series and and realize that all the actors and actresses they have for pretty much every role is spot on. But Ginny is awful. Blank expression and just not good looking and a terrible actress. When I think of her I think of a potato w/ red hair.

But maybe because I'd rather dip my wand into Luna's Pensieve
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »

When I think of her I think of a potato w/ red hair.

LOL

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 08:28:37 AM »

Seeing as how I didn't much like the book, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise I didn't like the movie much either. The cinematography, special effects, acting...all great in my opinion, I just don't like the story- or lack thereof, rather. The only part of the story I liked was the stuff about Snape, which is also one of the only chapters of the book I liked.

Some of the things I never liked are more forgivable in movie form, I suppose, since there's time restrictions, such as
Code:
Lupin's death for instance. In the books it was a huge slap in the face to have such an important character (As well as Moody, who is supposed to be the most powerful auror around) have off-screen deaths. They did the same thing with Fred in the movie...hell, I don't think they even mentioned which twin it was that died in the dialogue. It was basically just Harry looking over, going, "oh shit, they're dead" and then they move on.

All the same plot holes that were present in the book are actually back, and they actually made them even more pronounced than they were in the book, which is something that blows my mind, especially
Code:
The part where Ron opens the Chamber of Secrets using parseltongue...it didn't make sense in the book and having them actually show it to you just drives the point home that much clearer- parseltongue is supposed to be a magical language that nobody can learn to speak, and all of a sudden you can? And to add to the absurdity, it's freaking Ron, he shouldn't be bright enough to come up with an idea this smart. Okay, being a bit sarcastic with that last one, but still!

One thing I am glad they removed though, was the Fiendfyre. It made no sense to me that Crabbe (Well, I guess in the movie it's Goyle), who was always a terrible student, all of sudden could conjure up magic that was so difficult that even Hermoine didn't dare to touch it- a simple solution that would've saved a ton of time in the first, incredibly boring camping section of the book had Hermoine bothered mentioning it, instead of wandering around like a bunch of idiots looking for Gryffindor's sword. It made more sense that if there was still that many Basilisk fangs hanging around, they would put them to use rather than just leaving the damn things in the Chamber.

Also very glad they removed that awful part where Harry successfully uses Crucio on Carrow, because apparently someone spitting at McGonnagal pisses him off more than someone killing the only person living he considered family.

Neville still doesn't get his showdown with Bellatrix, and many angry Nevillefans cried in anguish (Especially given that they bothered giving Neville that line in the fifth movie, "Better now that they're going to be avenged"). I think enough people have criticized the stupidity of Molly Weasley fighting Bellatrix that I don't need to elaborate on it.

Still, none of that still has anything on the Elder Wand crap. First, how did Draco own the Elder Wand? They say you need to defeat...or kill, they can't seem to decide which one it is, but either way, it doesn't make sense for Draco to have taken the wand ownership from Dumbledore, because disarming hardly counts as defeating, otherwise tons and tons of people have been "defeated" in the past, and it just becomes a total confusing mess. But even if you buy that, Harry never disarmed Draco...he plucked the damn wands from his hand when he wasn't looking- there was no magic involved- besides, that was Draco's wand, and not the Elder wand, unless you're going to say that disarming someone means you also get to own every single wand that person has ever owned. Let's say you buy that- how the hell did Voldemort die? We've seen people use other peoples' wands all the time without any ill effect (Aside from it being "not as effective"), but apparently only in this case it causes Avada Kedavra to rebound and kill Voldemort. They don't even bother explaining this the least bit in the movie, because they knew it made no sense.

Also the epilogue still sucks- you don't learn what happens to anybody, you just know they have a bunch of kids. What happened to Neville, Luna- did Harry ever achieve his dream of being an auror? None of these questions are answered.
Furymasterzero
Military Gamer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 10:58:35 PM »

It was great, though I wish they would have spread out the epilogue a little more. That could have been another good 20 minutes and would tie everything up.

I find they handled the final battle in the movie than she did in the book. Although:

Code:
Bellatrix vs Mrs. Weasley should have been more epic, some of the deaths should have been focused on more.  Especially as more of a shock for those who didn't read the book.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: