Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:57:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334685 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy Type 0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy Type 0  (Read 20133 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »

Can't say this game has managed to grab my attention, it pops up on gaming news every once in a while then vanishes into obscurity for another several months. From what I've seen so far of this whole crystalsomethingarather saga, its just one disappointment after another. They wanted something "epic" and looks like they will get it one way or another. Sadly, so far its closer to an epic failure, at least in terms of gaming. It will still sell well though, FFXIII is a horrible game and I still bought it despite knowing how bad it was, so this will obviously sell too, so at least in that department they'll succeed (and at the end of the day, that's the idea). This success is more attributed to the legacy of the FF franchise more than anything else. Kind of like the untalented offspring of famous people that base their career on their parents surname.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:14:58 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 09:28:20 AM »

jesus! do you like anything not called suikoden II?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »

I'm kind of curious how you managed to twist my dislike for new FF titles, or rather, the direction they are heading, into Suikoden II fanboyism.

NOW PLAYING:
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »

Can't say this game has managed to grab my attention, it pops up on gaming news every once in a while then vanishes into obscurity for another several months. From what I've seen so far of this whole crystalsomethingarather saga, its just one disappointment after another. They wanted something "epic" and looks like they will get it one way or another. Sadly, so far its closer to an epic failure, at least in terms of gaming. It will still sell well though, FFXIII is a horrible game and I still bought it despite knowing how bad it was, so this will obviously sell too, so at least in that department they'll succeed (and at the end of the day, that's the idea). This success is more attributed to the legacy of the FF franchise more than anything else. Kind of like the untalented offspring of famous people that base their career on their parents surname.

What really bothers me the most is the development time. I hope Square Enix learned their lesson this gen.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »

What was the point of this post?  You are basically saying that you don't know anything about the game but you think it will suck.  (And what game doesn't 'pop up on gaming news every once in a while'?  There is no such thing as a game that the press talks about constantly.)  I agree that FFXIII was a disaster, but this isn't FFXIII.  It doesn't look like it has much in common with that game at all.

For me this is the title that will establish whether or not S-E can still make a good game.  It looks more promising than Versus, never mind the cheap cash-in that is XIII-2.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »

What was the point of this post?  You are basically saying that you don't know anything about the game but you think it will suck.  (And what game doesn't 'pop up on gaming news every once in a while'?  There is no such thing as a game that the press talks about constantly.)  I agree that FFXIII was a disaster, but this isn't FFXIII.  It doesn't look like it has much in common with that game at all.

For me this is the title that will establish whether or not S-E can still make a good game.  It looks more promising than Versus, never mind the cheap cash-in that is XIII-2.

You kinda contradicted your argument with that last sentence about XIII-2.

I too don't agree with Max about writing off Type 0, but I think what he's really referring to as an inevitable epic failure is the idea of the XIII Compilation thing. They didn't release the games on time, XIII was a disappointment for the most part, Agito XIII changed names to Type 0 and Versus XIII is still in pre-production. The whole compilation idea failed its purpose miserably.

I can understand how someone can grow weary of it all and write off the game. It's in a way the best course of action. If it's a good game, you'll be pleasantly surprised, and if it's a bad game, you won't be that disappointed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:34:46 PM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »

Saying it will suck because of XIII is really unfair, what we have seen so far shows very clearly that the game is nothing like XIII. Besides, even if the whole FNC compilation idea failed, that says nothing about the quality of the game.

I like the design of this character:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:05:14 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »

Just to clarify, I never said the game sucks, and I never wrote it off completely. I cant say the game is bad, because Its not done yet. What I said was that at the moment it does not grab my interest, and that so far in my opinion, the whole compilation is heading down a path of disaster. Feel free to disagree, but don't twist my words into something I didn't actually say. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if any of  these games turn out decent. Because like most of you here, I'm still waiting for good current gen FF title. Problem is, that so far from what I've seen, none of these games look promising. Possible exception being Versus, but that's not even close to being done yet.

I've been wrong about several games in the past, in fact one of the games I though would be absolutely horrible ended up being one of my favourite titles for the N64 (Diddy Kong racing). So lets hope Square-Enix proves me wrong here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:39:19 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 08:53:11 PM »

You know, outside if Type-0 ends up being good or not there's one thing that has being annoying me a little bit.

And that's the whole Fabula Nova nonsense. What was the point in doing a series of games with a common mythos in where every game is connected by the vague connection with the theme of crystals, terminologies and what not. Isn't that what your normal Final Fantasy already is?

Since Final Fantasy VII (and partially VI) the franchise doesn't know what it wants to be and devs doesn't remember what was all about either for some weird reason. But, I guess that the answer to all of this is simple; Final Fantasy is a big convoluted franchise that's too popular for its own good. After all, how this series of games began back in the late 80's and how popular it become was something that no one really expected, not even the people that created the first games.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:49:33 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »

yeah at least with the FFT stuff that tried to link things together.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »

Actually, I have to wonder. What if these games are loosely tied SIMPLY for marketing's sake? The industry at large has become more and more dependent on established IPs, and SE may have thought to take this to the next step with their FF spin-offs so that they can sell on the basis of their ties to the latest major game that isn't COMPLETELY reviled. Even if the ties are completely superfluous and the games otherwise stand on their own. Given the sales of som eof the other spin-offs it would actually make a sort of sense.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »

What surprises me is, I thought everyone knew that?

Final Fantasy isn't a series in the common sense. But neither is Tales, or Grandia, or Dragon Quest (well, groups of games are connected) or many other "series". Unlike movies, game series will often not be very connected, just with a few expectations of mechanics and themes. Final Fantasy is probably one of the broadest, especially starting with FF7 onward, where they decided to abandon the reliance on high fantasy settings. But honestly, I think that's okay, I never had a problem with that. It's a far cry better from back in the arcade days when the only difference between games in a series were different level sets of the same game (Mario 1 to Lost Levels), or a tweaked gameplay mechanic (Ms Pacman is faster). I'm all for innovation and change. I get tired of series that basically use the same formula over and over again.

HOWEVER, I will echo Maxximum's original post that Type-0 just doesn't grab me. I was highly put off by the first trailer, and the subsiquent material just hasn't done much to improve that. I'm just not in love with the setting and tone. Seems like more generic bleek fantasy to me. Type-0 just reminded me of schoolboy Dragon Age. BORING! I'm far more interested in FFvXIII, and even have more hope for FFXIII-2. I haven't completely written off Type-0, but it just doesn't seem like my kinda thing.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 12:12:02 AM »

I'm kind of curious how you managed to twist my dislike for new FF titles, or rather, the direction they are heading, into Suikoden II fanboyism.

Association, we've all seen the type before. Needless to say, I loved FF8, FF 12, and FF13 more than FF7 or FF10 (and I HATE 10) so...........I might be crazy. LOL

As for type-0, it has me very excited! If iIm not mistaken it looks like theres no battle transitions and plays like FF12 at least combat wise. Thats FANTASTIC news to me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:17:30 AM by bigdeath » Logged
Wilsongt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 12:15:29 AM »

Release date is October 13th in Japan... I will be interested to see if it actually makes it to the west. I doubt it.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 12:18:30 AM »

Release date is October 13th in Japan... I will be interested to see if it actually makes it to the west. I doubt it.

Why wouldn't it make it to the west? Its an FF game after all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: