Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 06:17:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338328 Posts in 13850 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  In an age of re-makes, I wish... (outside the realm of Square)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: In an age of re-makes, I wish... (outside the realm of Square)  (Read 5195 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »

So in a time when it seems most titles with a following have been re-made or re-released I can't help but recall a few gems from my youth that I would LOVE to see reincarnated on a new platform..... Specifically, working designs titles and a few others from the 16 bit days.....

I mean, does anyone remember Vay? That game was absolutely amazing to me in my youth! Shining Wisdom???? Dragon Force!!?????? Paladins Quest even....?

What titles, outside of the obviously popular yet neglected square franchises, would you guys like to see? I know this post is pointless and more or less just musing over what may never be but man.... Vay deserves a re-release by someone.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »

Wild ARMs 2, translated by XSeed, not Agetec.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »

too bad wild arms is seffectively dead =/

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »

Speaking of re-releases, FFVI and CT are coming to the american PSN.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »

Hmm...let me see...

Grandia Xtreme: The battle system was already quite solid and I rather enjoyed the dungeon crawling (which I rarely say about those game types). A remake would only need to tack on some of the stuff G3 added (like aerial combos), revamp/repolish the graphics, and get some better VAs. The story might've been weak but it wasn't too horrible, it was mostly the grating VAs that dragged it down. Granted touching up on the dialog here and there wouldn't hurt it one little bit.

Lunar 2: As I've said before, Lunar 1 gets waaaaaaay too much attention. Personally I thought L2 to be the superior game and if FF7 is supposed to be "so much better if they remade it with modern graphics" I bet L2 would be on par with such expectations. Especially if the battle system were revamped to be just a tad less repetitive. Either by enhancing it with more tactical depth or making it into a more action-RPG style battle system (Tales Franchise for example).

*cheating* Threads of Fate: Yes I know "technically" it's Square game but I'd like to mention it just because I'd like to see some other developer handle it. Square has...well...let's just say ever since FFX-2 my opinion of them has been steadily declining to the point where I have no expectations of them except for their inevitable demise. ToF I think should be remade in the hands of a developer more capable/responsible, especially considering the choices out there for handling stories that are both serious and comedic at the same time. To specify; I think ToF should be remade by either NIS or Atlus. As they both have shown the ability to produce fantastic games that know when to be funny, when to be serious, and how to skirt the edge of Japanese culture without being overbearingly fanservicey or stereotypical.

Legend of Legaia 2: Honestly, I've never beaten either Legaia Game. Something about them just lost me part of the way into them and I cannot specifically pin down what the problem was. Which was a shame as both games seemed to have rather decent potential. Legaia 2 in particular seemed to appeal to me more of the two so I would like to see it given a second chance. Maybe modernized graphics, an extended (and maybe not quite so cryptic) version of the Artes system would convince me to give it yet another shot.

Ar Tonelico: While it may not have been that long since the third game debuted; if there's any series out there that needs a second chance it's AT. A beautiful world, unique combat ideas (especially in the second game), the "potential" for decent character endings, AT basically has the framework of an amazing RPG...yet always seems to fail in overall execution. Whether its dumb as rocks protagonists, contrived and linear "dating scenes", gitch ridden programming, or strip-based gameplay, something major always seems to crop up in any version of AT that drives what should be a paragon of the RPG world into the cold dust. Take the concept and remove everything else, allow for more "free and meaningful" exploration of the cosmospheres, allow for moral style choices in the game (be nice to your Reyvatiel, or be a darker individual and force them to craft song magic at the expense of their sanity, ect.), keep the more creative battle ideas while chucking out the bad, and really, really, REALLY cut back on the meaningless fanservice.

Ephemeral Fantasia: Again another title I never really beat all the way but to this day I have a rather soft spot for it. I liked about half the cast and the story was rather interesting (for its time). The methods in which you recruited people, having to memorize events and think creatively to overcome the workings of fate, the integration of a musical game into the core mechanics of the RPG (take notes on how to do this Square instead of shoving out the drivel you are now), there was just so much to love about the game... Then of course you have the frustration of hunting down map pieces, getting lost for hours, too many random battles, a mildly frustrating skill system, characters who were utterly useless in combat,...ect. Polish this rock like your life depended on it and I think it could be sequel worthy. Not a diamond mind you but at least a ruby.

Orphen: Scion of Sorcery: One of the older games I will admit to having played, beaten, and honestly kinda liked. Sure the combat was janky, sure the dialog was weak in some places, sure the story wasn't ground breaking or amazing; but I did rather like Orphen. Heck the game got me curious enough about the source material that I hunted down and bought Orphen as my first anime box set ever. (Sadly the game seemed to be based more on the inferior second season.) While I'm not sure I'd want this exact game remade I think revisiting Orphen and including this game as like a "chapter" in a much larger project would be a decent investment of time. Especially if they rework some of the dialog and what not to put it more in line with what the source material's original season had to offer.

Popful Mail: I shouldn't like this as much as I do. Probably because the goofy fantasy hybrid thing reminds me of Slayers. But the VAs were actually pretty good, the music was catchy, the fights were challenging, and even though I never beat it all the way I found it to be a rather pleasant game to play. I'm amazed there was never any sequel or follow up. While it might be old hat as far as fantasy tales are concerned I think Popful Mail deserves at least one visit from the re-make fairy just to give it another chance to shine.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »

I mean, does anyone remember Vay?

Vay did get remade for iOS platforms.

As for my picks, I think I've said this before, but the Quintet trilogy (Soul Blazer / Illusion of Gaia / Terranigma) needs to be compiled, slightly upped graphically (think FFIV SNES to FFIV PSP), and released on a handheld platform. Hell, I'll even do 3DS if they minimize the 3D use only for appropriate scenes (like, world map-y stuff and flashy spell animations).

I've only beaten one of those three games, and it's one of my absolute fav SNES titles (Terranigma, woot woot!).

I'd also like a full-on, balls-to-the-walls HD graphics/music remake of this little-known NES title called Radia Senki (ie "Chronicle of the Radia War") from Tecmo. It was an action RPG in the vain of FF Adventure for Game Boy, but with a crazy solopsism plot and awesome Tecmo cut scenes (a la the Ninja Gaiden games). Just add some worthwhile content, background on the supporting cast, and go nuts. I'd love it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:52:14 PM »

I want ports/remakes of games that are either hard to find now or have never even been in English, or at least can be improved a lot. Stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, the aforementioned Popful Mail (though the PC Engine one would b enice to see, it's closer to Falcom's original game), Seiken Densetsu 3, the missing Front Mission games. Earthbound, if they could figure out how to get around any potential legal issues (or if some major cases come up that can completely change the landscape of Copyright Law to be more lenient, but that doesn't seem to be the trend now), along with the other two Mother games.

Stuff like FFVII is what I want to see remade the least. Ok, retranslate it, for how important the game was it deserved a higher quality translation, but it's not a game that's really hard to find now that it's been re-released on the PSN, and given what SE's done with the newer FF games and that fact it's a product of its time it WILL lose some of its charm, and likely most of the ones crying for a remake most are the ones who will be let down the most. Stuff like Metroid 2 would be great though, Zero Mission was an amazing remake and I'd love to have another game like that, and the base game really isn't that much fun to play now.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »

Dragon Force,Panzer Dragoon Saga,Segagaga,Illusion of Gaia,Saga Frontier,Secret of Evermore,bahamut Lagoon,7th Saga,Shining Force Scenarios II and III.

Too many damn games to list for me.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:56:48 PM by Lazlowe1984 » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 08:56:51 PM »

I have to admit I forgot for a bit to exclude Square, but given how they've focused on their biggest franchises for remakes I think it's fair to look at some of the other stuff they used to do.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »

I have to admit I forgot for a bit to exclude Square, but given how they've focused on their biggest franchises for remakes I think it's fair to look at some of the other stuff they used to do.

You are unusually...logical.Its odd to see that on the internet,Eusis.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »

Stuff like Metroid 2 would be great though, Zero Mission was an amazing remake and I'd love to have another game like that, and the base game really isn't that much fun to play now.

Hear hear! Zero Mission was all kinds of tasty. A remake of Metroid 2 would be fantastico.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »

If I'm 100% honest with myself, I would like to see more remakes/re-releases/ports of shmups games of the Sega Saturn era. games like Hyper Duel, Darius Gaiden or Thunder Force V for XBLA and PSN would be more than great.

But regarding RPGs, I've been always intrigued to play Live-A-Live.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »

So in a time when it seems most titles with a following have been re-made or re-released I can't help but recall a few gems from my youth that I would LOVE to see reincarnated on a new platform..... Specifically, working designs titles and a few others from the 16 bit days.....

I mean, does anyone remember Vay? That game was absolutely amazing to me in my youth! Shining Wisdom???? Dragon Force!!?????? Paladins Quest even....?

What titles, outside of the obviously popular yet neglected square franchises, would you guys like to see? I know this post is pointless and more or less just musing over what may never be but man.... Vay deserves a re-release by someone.....

I'd definitely love to see the Lennus series (the first released in NA as Paladin's Quest) revived, and the first and second games remade. The Lennus: Memory of the Ancient Machine album is fucking awesome.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 01:36:44 AM »

You know what. You guys are right. What we need here is a remake of Eternal Fillena.

Also Adventures of Hourai High and Rejoice! Another Aretha Kingdom.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 02:16:48 AM »

What we need is a 3d remake of secret of mana, This games gotta have a decent size fan base. The stories good enough for fresh players?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: