Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 12:06:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338726 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  1UP: Why the Golden Age of JRPGs is Over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: 1UP: Why the Golden Age of JRPGs is Over  (Read 10911 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »

why do so many people seem to think jrpgs need to become wrpg's? despite its country of origin demons souls is a wrpg... thats like telling someone if your black and want to become successful in the world you need to start bleaching your skin and become white.

This statement contradicts itself so so much.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »

Hopefully we'll see more JRPG-style games developed by western developers to fill the niche market that's screaming for titles like xenoblade.

Bastion (haven't played it yet) seems like a action jrpg at its heart. If that does well maybe it'll raise some eyebrows.

I'll just keep buying the games that come over that interest me, that's all I can do.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 11:34:50 PM »

Interesting article

Words can't describe how much effort and how long it took me to learn Japanese at a level that makes jrpg's playable. This was back when we got nothing, the saturn was new and the virtua series was all that existed.

I'll keep buying jrpg's regardless of language, the article is a butt hurt generator, I don't see the article topic to be true
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:45:02 PM by Darklight » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 11:45:06 PM »

why do so many people seem to think jrpgs need to become wrpg's? despite its country of origin demons souls is a wrpg... thats like telling someone if your black and want to become successful in the world you need to start bleaching your skin and become white.

Part of why I call JRPGs JRPGs is because they are RPGs developed in Japan. That's not too relevant for this though, I'd say Demon's Souls is an out and out aberration. At best it's a modernization of older WRPGs, perhaps something like Ultima Underworld. But as far as the big WRPGs go, it's not like the oldest ones or even the ones that are actively relevant. A LOT of those are trying to become more mainstream and accessible, and while Demon's Souls is fairly accessible to someone like me it has nothing on stuff like Fable or ME2, in some ways I'd say it's closer to Vagrant Story than modern WRPGs actually. Not that there ISN'T merit in JRPGs being designed more like WRPGs, just look at FFXII as a potential example! Or possibly Xenoblade or Last Story. They have a Japanese flavor still, but adopt some of the things that were more liked or at least more successful for WRPGs.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:14:09 AM by Eusis » Logged
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »

The era of classic, turn-based, animu, etc., JRPGs is over.

The dawn of a new era arrived with Demon's Souls. Japanese devs have a choice to either embrace the evolution or stay in denial and continue their steep decline into obscurity.

In all seriousness though, that was a painful read. And for those Japanese devs and related publishers to suffer from the imposed minimum number of retail copies tells you how irrelevant the genre has become on an international level. It simply doesn't put food on the table anymore.

Edit: Seems like it wasn't just me who was shocked by that minimum copies part. I remember reading about it a long time ago though.

If demon souls is the wavy of the future than my interest in JRPGs is effectively over. I have no interest in Demon soul like games. Luckly, I'll probably still have final fantasy and other big name franchise JRPGs to look forward to at least.
kdognumba1

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 03:19:21 AM »

I just can't find this really viable.  Sure JRPG's don't sell the numbers of CoD and WoW in NA and EU however they do sell and a lot of times sell way more then they do JP.  I think the real problem is A. What the put the pricing of games at and B. being so reliable on 1 method of selling.  A lot of JRPG's just like other games can be played on many systems, why limit them to just PSP and DS?  Also a lot of JRPG's aren't very big in space and can easily hit the systems downloadable services.  It seems to me that designers and publishers aren't looking at all their options and really should attempt getting these games out to as many people as possible, not just for 1 system and retail only.

Me personally, I don't own a PSP but I own a PS3 and 360 and I'm die'n to try Tactics Ogre.  I would buy it in a heart beat if it came to PSN or XBLA however because they're limiting it only to the PSP crowd, I can't (also I'm not gonna pay huge bucks for a used PS1 copy).  The more systems you bring your product to the better and if you want to avoid people getting games illegally, bring them to the downloadable services.  At this point there's downloadable full games for PSP, PS3, and 360 and downloadable smaller games for Wiiware, DSiware, 3DSware, XBLA and PSN.  There's no excuse not to use these services.  Get your games in more peoples hands.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 03:35:38 AM »

I would buy it in a heart beat if it came to PSN or XBLA however because they're limiting it only to the PSP crowd, I can't

They're as in Square Enix? Sorry, but that's not how it works. The the makers of the systems that decide what can or can't be published on it. For instance, SCEA doesn't allow publishers to publish a port without making significant changes. So no PSP games on the PlayStation 3. I know I'd start throwing money at Atlus if they decided to release a $20 Sting bundle for PS3 or something like that, but SCEA doesn't want it to happen, so it's not going to happen.

If you really want to play certain games on the PSP, just buy a PSP. They're pretty cheap nowadays and it's a neat little system.
kdognumba1

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »

I would buy it in a heart beat if it came to PSN or XBLA however because they're limiting it only to the PSP crowd, I can't

They're as in Square Enix? Sorry, but that's not how it works. The the makers of the systems that decide what can or can't be published on it. For instance, SCEA doesn't allow publishers to publish a port without making significant changes. So no PSP games on the PlayStation 3. I know I'd start throwing money at Atlus if they decided to release a $20 Sting bundle for PS3 or something like that, but SCEA doesn't want it to happen, so it's not going to happen.

If you really want to play certain games on the PSP, just buy a PSP. They're pretty cheap nowadays and it's a neat little system.

Its a PS1 title that was brought to the PSP.  PSN allows PS1 titles, I'd buy it in a heart beat if they brought it over as a PS1 title to PSN and if they made another remake of it and brought it to XBLA I'd buy it there too.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 04:17:37 AM »

TO:LUCT was tweaked and rebalanced, if that hadn't been the case, Square Enix wouldn't have been able to release it as a PSP-game, you know, the kind you don't have to download. Ever wondered why Japan and Europe got Tales of Eternia and Breath of Fire III for the PSP and the US/Canada didn't? That's the reason. SCEA hates ports. Anyway, slightly changing LUCT was the best thing Square Eix could have done, because you don't want the PlayStation version. It has slowdown and other nasty stuff while the PSP version runs like a dream. So just get that PSP, get the best version with the nice little extra's and be happy.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:20:31 AM by Tomara » Logged
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:09 AM »

I said it once, I'll say it again.  There is a JRPG market, but mouth breather execs base their entire JRPG outlook on SE which recently(save TWEWY, DQ, and possibly Neir(still haven't played it)) have been rubbish.  SE isn't the only JRPG maker out there.  IMHO the future of JRPGS will be downloads and indie titles.  If you don't like it, I'm sorry soon discs will only be reserved for million selling games which all look the same who main market is beer guzzling fratboys.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 04:41:21 AM »

dont be stpupid kdog

http://psp.ign.com/articles/110/1107781p1.html

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 05:10:23 AM »

What about the 'collector's" who want physical copies of things? Will digital distribution satisfy the need to have the copy in hand as it were. I mean I know that if there is no other option most would, I imagine, rather have a copy in whatever form than none at all, but I wonder if this facet of the gaming community will become a "force" or if most would capitulate rather easily when faced with the alternative.

Digital distribution just means I will not be supporting companies who only go this route.

I don't entirely agree with this article either. The past two or three years have been a genuine golden age for JRPGs - just on handhelds. First on DS, now on PSP.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 05:16:10 AM »

I REALLY hate the attitude of crying that a PSP/DS game is on a handheld rather than a console, especially given they're designed around portability or the DS's unique capabilities. If the small screen bugs you that badly then get a DSi XL and a PSP 2000/3000 with TV output, neither option is all that expensive now anyway. I understand if there's just one or two games you want, but if there's a TON then you're only doing yourself a disservice by ignoring handhelds, and frankly acting like that only exuberates the problem. Granted, an XBLA/PSN port might be easier to deal with than a retail release, BUT that's still more work for the publishers that they may not feasibly be able to do, especially on XBLA if they haven't gotten much published at retail, and sometimes those end up compromised anyway. Half Minute Hero just hit XBLA, but they completely ruined the extra modes by turning Evil Lord/Princess/Knight 30 from distinctive (albit short) gametypes to one level Hero 30-type stages.

Some of these games we're just lucky to get, it's better to roll with the punches and get them where you can. Also, they're right: getting the PS1 version of Tactics Ogre over the PSP version just so you don't have to play on the PSP would be a monumental mistake.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 05:18:09 AM »

Were you referring to me? That wasn't meant as a complaint about handhelds, just a statement on where they've moved.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 05:25:10 AM »

Were you referring to me? That wasn't meant as a complaint about handhelds, just a statement on where they've moved.

Nope, to kdog. You're almost the opposite there though.

I see both digital distribution and handhelds being great places for lower budget, less technically impressive titles that are hard to sell at console retail. In a more ideal world we wouldn't have to worry, but SCEA and Microsoft will screw those efforts up, and the Wii's practically become the console to send games to die on. Even if SCEA/Microsoft didn't get in the way like they do most likely most people would snub the games for being technically unimpressive or whatever unless they were VERY cheap releases. So, handhelds where they have that excuse, and digital distribution where expectations are lowered.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: