Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:16:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330153 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Can you name some "modern fantasy" RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Can you name some "modern fantasy" RPGs?  (Read 4454 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »

Just recently started replaying FF8 again and have come to realize I have a rather strong fondness for stories set within the "modern fantasy" genre. I quote it because I don't think it's technically a genre; but to me modern fantasy is something that takes place within a time period that is quite similar or just slightly ahead or behind of modern earth technology but with fantasy/supernatural elements mixed into it, sharing equal or less screen time with the technological. I.E: Even though FF8 has things like magic, Guardian Forces, and sci-fi esque physics be damned flying Gardens; it still has many contemporary things like automobiles, trains, paved roads, city structure, clothing design, weaponry, ect. that you can look at and think "Yeah, that does kinda look like our modern world only slightly different." Aside from FF8 I can't think of any RPGs that use this kind of setting and so I'm wondering if anyone else knows some games I don't.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:15:47 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:12:18 AM »

not out yet but type 0 looks to be modern fantasy.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
A.I.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »

hmm.. right now only the older shin megami tensei series come to my mind..like for example the first one..it sets out in the current japan ...than later on creatures from diferrent mythologies and fairy tales start appearing every where. After some major events which I'm not gonna spoil the humanworld as we know it will practicaly merge with all those other worlds... and tadaa you get your setting....although later on in smt2  it goes more in a sci-fi direction for the humans.

secret of evermore...could be slightly fitting into your definition...although their "modern" part is certainly not that modern anymore.

one could also put the castlevania series under "modern fantasy" ....or at least the ones where you play as soma.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:37:49 AM by A.I. » Logged
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »

Trails in the Sky might count. It's not exactly 'modern', per say, (aside from one city, which is,) but the overall culture and lifestyle isn't 'Ye Old'e Medieval!' either. It's more like Europe and/or America in the late 19th, very early 20th century in some parts, while some of the villages are less advanced and more rural.  Some of the technology is certainly advanced though; the biggest airships, and not simply old-fashioned wooden ships that can fly, but actual metal airships.

Explaining everything about the setting would take a while though, because Trails' setting is pretty detailed and fleshed out. Check it out, and see for yourself.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »

TWEWY. Full stop.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »

The shadow hearts games fit into that description I think.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »

Shadow Hearts and any of the Persona games fit. Wild ARMs kind of fits as well, with a very strong Western feel. Western as in the genre, not the location the game was made.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 02:40:46 PM »

Shadow Hearts and any of the Persona games fit. Wild ARMs kind of fits as well, with a very strong Western feel. Western as in the genre, not the location the game was made.

Agreed on Shadow Hearts and Persona. Not that sure about Wild Arms though. I remember reading about a DS game called "The world ends with you" that would fall into this category as well.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »

What about .hack series, although you're in a decidedly fantasy world you are playing a simulated MMO...or would that be a stretch?

Everything's Eventual
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »

Breath of Fire 3 and 4
Skies of Arcadia
FF6 and 7
Arc the Lad 2
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »

Breath of Fire 3 and 4
Skies of Arcadia
FF6 and 7
Arc the Lad 2

I would have to disagree on both BoF and FF titles you mentioned. Don't know about Skies of Arcadia or Arc the Lad 2 because i don't know them very well. I'm very curious what your reasoning for these choices was.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »

Modern because of guns/machines (and in some of them cars) yet still retaining fantasy-themed things like swords/spears/etc. The TC asked for "modern fantasy," not steampunk.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 07:03:09 PM »

hmm, modern fantasy.

I like Bytor's suggestion. Skip the original 4 and head straight into .hack//G.U.

And yeah, just play all the Persona games.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 11:47:42 PM »

No mention of Parasite Eve? Shame on all of you.

One could probably make the argument that Wild ARMs falls under this as well, moreso than something like the aforementioned SoA.
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 04:11:43 AM »

This thread is making me realize how much I miss the Phantasy Star series and want a new sequel that isn't an online RPG.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: