Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:01:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341288 Posts in 13948 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Can you name some "modern fantasy" RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Can you name some "modern fantasy" RPGs?  (Read 4545 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 07:43:58 PM »

I think by "modern", we mean that it takes place in something like the present day: socially and technologically. It doesn't mean that it's a new take on high-fantasy (Song of Fire and Ice).

I'm looking forward to FFvXIII, though I suspect it will be much more similar to FF7s cyberpunk feel than FF8s modernistic one.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 09:47:31 PM »

I just used that as an example as to how wide the interpretation of "modern/contemporary fantasy" can go in peoples' minds.  In terms of what we're talking about here, that's tenuous at best. 

Then there's the idea of what comprises fantasy.  On the one hand, we have that tabletop Shadowrun universe that's the poster child for post-modern urban fantasy.  Then you have something like Earthbound which doesn't have dwarves and elves in its modern setting, but it has zany and outlandish stuff that could only occur in imagination, so it's definitely "modern fantasy" by this thread's terms. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »

Hmm, wouldn't "Folklore" also be considered Modern Fantasy? I'd say it's an ARPG.
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 03:23:12 AM »

Sci-fi could be defined as a form of fantasy.  Something like Shin Megami Tensei weaves supernatural elements into modern/contemporary settings, so to me that's modern fantasy, perhaps urban fantasy.  It's interesting how Persona and Earthbound take place in very similar settings, yet are such totally different animals. 
Shin Megami Tensei can *generally* be described as post-apocalyptic cyberpunk.

Hmm, wouldn't "Folklore" also be considered Modern Fantasy? I'd say it's an ARPG.
Folklore was more of occult RPG.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »

I was referring to Megami Tensei as a whole, not just the flagship.  Sorry about that.   Yes, the flagship Shin Megami Tensei games are definitely post-apocalyptic with cyberpunk elements (i.e. in SMT II.)  I see Soul Hackers as more proverbial cyberpunk ("tech" cyberpunk.) 

Persona is more contemporary modern/urban fantasy (though P4 takes place in the inaka- rural countryside.) 

Devil Summoner is defintiely alternate history.  The Raidou Kuzunoha games are alternate history with specific period settings.  Whereas, Devil Summoner and Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers are what-if scenarios had the ICBMs in SMT1 been stopped and President Thorman killed. 

Oh yeah, I played the demo to this RPGM games a while back and really liked the setting.  I think this may be in line with the original poster's FF8 template.  http://rpgmaker.net/games/736/ The short demo alone kicks the collective asses of many commercial RPGM games out now, that's for sure.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: