Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334537 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What do you think of Spoony's Final Fantasy Reviews?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What do you think of Spoony's Final Fantasy Reviews?  (Read 2185 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 05:13:37 AM »

Personally I think he has his points but gets way too wound up in his stage persona to maintain a full level of credibility. The first review of his I watched in full was his vast series criticizing FFVIII. I pretty much knew he was to be taken with a grain of salt once he harped on how long it took to draw spells when his example was using Squall solo (even ignoring all the ways to bypass drawing it doesn't excuse the fact that you can just have one member be a dedicated drawer and continue through the game at a normal pace).

FFX I'm mostly with him on and FFX-2 I'll actually be cheering for him to go nuts; as I abhor that game with a passion myself.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »

The artstyle contributes to half the feel of game.

If your favorite game was represented in monochrome with a bunch of stick figures I doubt it'd be your favorite game.

You could probably argue that's the situation for quite a few GameBoy games... and some of those ARE amongst people's favorites. Not to mention Tetris.

Anyways, while I can understand being put off by an out and out ugly game, they really should at least give it a try. If in playing it he can't get over it then I can't fault him, especially since that implies the rest of the game isn't enjoyable enough to make up for it.
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »

Well Spoony has completed his reviews on Final Fantasy XIII (review series is parts 1 - 4) and will be starting Final Fantasy XIII-2 in a few months it seems. Has anybody watched them yet?

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/12/15/final-fantasy-xiii-part-1/
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/12/31/final-fantasy-xiii-part-2/
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/04/20/final-fantasy-xiii-review-part-3/
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/05/16/final-fantasy-xiii-review-part-4/

I think he's gotten a little better in terms of reviewing the content of the game itself. Sure there are some things exaggerated but I did get a laugh out of the things I agreed with him on.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »

... Huh, I forgot this existed. I since checked out most of his Ultima reviews though and it was great to really learn more about that series.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »

wow this guy is horrible. is he one of those idiots that think any FF not done in the style of ff6/9 is garbage?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »

wow this guy is horrible. is he one of those idiots that think any FF not done in the style of ff6/9 is garbage?

His gimmick is to be controversial so his reviewing style certainly isn't for everyone. He's said in his reviews that the FF series has continuously gone downhill, though he does point out positives in the later games like in his review of FFX where he blasted the story and the sphere grid but did talk about how he really enjoyed the battle system.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »

More or less. Yeah.

His gimmick is to be controversial so his reviewing style certainly isn't for everyone. He's said in his reviews that the FF series has continuously gone downhill, though he does point out positives in the later games like in his review of FFX where he blasted the story and the sphere grid but did talk about how he really enjoyed the battle system.

He only does these reviews to get people's attention.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 03:11:03 AM »

Wow. So I loaded the site and saw FF VIII review in way too many parts and gave up on it. I came back to it unable to sleep and... I'm so glad I did. Seeing Squall's fight in the intro with the chrous music with someone singing "buttsex, astroglide, glory hole, baaallllllssss" in tune to the music is probably now my favorite moment from FF VIII.

This isn't saying I didn't like FF VIII... actually I have the pc disks out because I've been planning a replay. But I'm not going to say there weren't many times playing through where I didn't want to choke Squall and call him an angsty bitch.

*edit* How sad is it that while agreeing with him complain about the Draw system my RPGer OCD kicked in and I started installing the game? On one hand I agree that it's tedius, and you almost never want to cast the spells because hoarding them to equip is more effective... however you can become OP with junctioning. And I must collect all of the spells. I must. Besides, compared to trying to max any Disgaea drawing spells is simple and not time consuming at all. Right? ... I need them.

*edit2* "As a whore walks around she picks up more anal tricks, which we all know is true."   How have I not seen this before. Link highly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:50:22 AM by zMKnightz » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: