Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 01:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340955 Posts in 13935 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Boards
| | |-+  How Friendly is this Place?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: How Friendly is this Place?  (Read 12443 times)
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »

What I mean is, it sounds like some rules are strictly enforced and that sounds great (like the spam, unmarked spoilers, and illegal activity rules), but I think the most important rules have to do with being nice to each other and the posts about rules barely mention (but do in fact mention) no flaming. I guess the best way to pose the question is, which of the following sample posts would be met with effective-enough discipline to stop such behavior...

(after someone asked for help in winning a game)
"Only and idiot wouldn't realize... [proceeds to explain something in a game]."

(during a disagreement between two people)
"[after making a counter-argument]... You couldn't be more wrong. I mean, seriously, you're making a fool of yourself."

(after someone asks for feedback on an indie game/script/etc. they're working on)
"It's awful. You should just give up... [does not proceed to give any detailed/helpful feedback]."

Basically, do any of the terribly mean yet subtle things that go unmodded on gamefaqs and, IMO, make the gamefaqs forums a terrible place, go unmodded here?

Thank you.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »

No, it's nothing like the crap you'd have to endure over at GameFAQs. Most of the insults or whatever here are sarcastic or just poking fun, so if you have a sense of humor you'll be fine.

There are some heated debates but they generally don't get out of hand.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »

We are good people, so bannings are painfully infrequent. Nothing like a good banning.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

YOU MUST PRAISE AND CHERISH FINAL FANTASY CRYSTALSOMETHINGSOMETHING SAGA OR YOU SHALL BE FLAMED!
Seriously though, I actually found this this place to be very friendly. At least by internet standards. It's also fairly active, so there's plenty of incentive to post and check back often.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:00:07 PM »

Each of the administrators/moderators kind of has their own thing that they watch for.  I'm on a hawk about posts regarding piracy and emulation.  Huge pet peeve.

If ever you see something that you think is out of hand, use the report post button - it'll send an e-mail to the admins and we will be happy to review it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »

Just pretend you signed up at SMTFan and you'll fit in swimmingly
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »

What I mean is, it sounds like some rules are strictly enforced and that sounds great (like the spam, unmarked spoilers, and illegal activity rules), but I think the most important rules have to do with being nice to each other and the posts about rules barely mention (but do in fact mention) no flaming. I guess the best way to pose the question is, which of the following sample posts would be met with effective-enough discipline to stop such behavior...

(after someone asked for help in winning a game)
"Only and idiot wouldn't realize... [proceeds to explain something in a game]."

(during a disagreement between two people)
"[after making a counter-argument]... You couldn't be more wrong. I mean, seriously, you're making a fool of yourself."

(after someone asks for feedback on an indie game/script/etc. they're working on)
"It's awful. You should just give up... [does not proceed to give any detailed/helpful feedback]."

Basically, do any of the terribly mean yet subtle things that go unmodded on gamefaqs and, IMO, make the gamefaqs forums a terrible place, go unmodded here?

Thank you.

None of that really gets modded.  The only thing that really gets modded is piracy talk. 

If someone posts something really over the line stupid, yes they probably will get flamed (I could point you to some people's posts, but I won't).  Is the flaming as bad as other forums?  Definitely not, but it does occasionally happen.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:40:09 PM »

If you aren't consistently stupid, people are nice to you. Which is why they hate me.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »

If you aren't consistently stupid, people are nice to you. Which is why they hate me.

I like you!

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »

I like you!

A mod likes me? YAY! Now I can be as stupid as I want!

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »

Okay, cool. I'll give this place a try. So far, the discussions here are far more intelligent than at gamefaqs, which is good. I myself also get very ticked off by piracy, so I'm very glad to hear that gets enforced. :)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 10:47:53 PM »

I've been posting since 1999 and I like it because it's the middle ground.  It's not moronic like a lot of Gamefaqs or IGN, but at the same time it's not stuck-up snobby elitism either.  We can discuss serious issues like body dysmorphia and also laugh at fart jokes. 

Basically, as long as you're not a moronic asshat, you're fine.  It's like being the new kid in school.  Sure you'll get scrutinized by the rest of the class for a little while, but once they see you're cool then it doesn't matter if you were the new kid.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 10:55:10 PM »

I consider myself somewhat of a "new kid" and I agree with what has been said so far. I thought I knew a decent amount about games until I came here and I seriously enjoy the various disagreements even on games I'm unfamiliar with, and then discussions I do want to join in I feel I can express my opinion without fear of being truly flamed, disagreed with perhaps but not disrespected.

Everything's Eventual
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:32 PM »

Just steer clear of JRPG vs WRPG arguments and you should be fine
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

Only an idiot would wonder about the friendliness around this place.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: