Author Topic: Question about licensing

Azrael

• View Profile
Question about licensing
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:59:38 PM »
Not sure if this is the place to put it, or if it's really an issue of licensing, but I was thinking about something while reading about DCU Online. So I know it's a Sony game, and that they'd want to keep it on their console, but there is the PC to worry about and obviously the greatest userbase is on the Windows platform, which is Microsoft. What then, would keep them from also putting it out on the Xbox 360 since they're already publishing the game on a Microsoft platform? I feel like this is something that could and probably has cropped up before since you really have no choice but to deal with Microsoft when putting anything out on the PC.

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
Re: Question about licensing
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
Well PC really isn't anyone's platform, No one has any control over what can be put on PCs and nothing has to be licensed to be put on PCs. Hence why I can get hentai dating sims for it no problem :D. And for the record Sony does make computers

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
Maybe it works differently in the computer world, but you can't buy a computer running an Apple OS and play a game designed for Windows on it. Windows is the platform. Windows is from Microsoft. I know there is a level of freedom, but it's something I was just a bit curious about.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
Console manufacturers control the content on their systems and also take a cut from all games released for their platform.  That's why they're able to do things like selling the system at a loss.

The situation with Windows is not at all analogous.  Anyone can make software for it and MS doesn't get a cut, other than possibly selling development tools (though there are third-party alternatives there too).

And then there's the fact that Sony isn't really competing in the operating system market, but they definitely are competing in the console market.  Why would they want to help out their competition?

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
Yeah, even with the OS being Microsoft's the PC is more of an anything goes platform, and besides SOE was well established on PC before Microsoft came into the console scene. That, and each branch doesn't necessarily act the same way; SCE doesn't develop Sony Pictures movies, those get licensed out to whoever wants them, which subsequently get made into games that are on Nintendo and Microsoft consoles.

The other factor though? Frankly, I don't think Microsoft's really open to the idea of MMOs being on their platform period. Sony SEEMS like they may not be much better, but you actually have DCUO there, you'll have FFXIV whenever SE makes it into a game people collectively want to play, whereas Microsoft only allowed FFXI (which was probably before a policy shift of some sort) while other games like Champions and Age of Conan, planned for the 360, have never surfaced and probably won't know that at least one of them (I'm pretty sure both) are F2P games now.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:50:10 PM by Eusis »

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
Maybe it works differently in the computer world, but you can't buy a computer running an Apple OS and play a game designed for Windows on it. Windows is the platform. Windows is from Microsoft. I know there is a level of freedom, but it's something I was just a bit curious about.

It's not about licensing it's about how they are different operating systems and the software has to be designed differently depending on which system you want it to work on (or both)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »
XNA actually has a lot of portability between Windows and XBox, which i why you see a lot of PC -> XBLA ports.

I just wish that some of the cooler XBLA games would also get Windows releases.

Also I do not like working with XNA at all. Partially, I guess, because C# is fairly Java and fuck Java.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
XNA actually has a lot of portability between Windows and XBox, which i why you see a lot of PC -> XBLA ports.

I just wish that some of the cooler XBLA games would also get Windows releases.

Also I do not like working with XNA at all. Partially, I guess, because C# is fairly Java and fuck Java.

Does XNA still demand to know exactly which bitmaps and other images you're going to use in your entire game?  I hated that... I wanted to be able to load images dynamically after the program is running.  Content pipeline wtf.  I'm pretty sure XNA is primarily for making Xbox games, unless this has changed.

I'm back to Direct X 8 programming, myself.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »
I heard that the content pipeline doesn't make you its bitch anymore.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Logick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »
PC games do not need MS's Approval, but if they want windows certification they do, but that certification is purely on a technical level.  Developers do not consider PC a competitor to consoles since they know most PC gamers won't buy a console to a play a game.

And yes you can't play Windows games on a Mac without booting to Windows, they're different operating systems.  Mac has no knowledge of DirectX and WinAPI and Windows has no knowledge of Cocoa.  Nothing to do with legal issues.

About Sony using MS products, I would like to point out that the PS3 dev kit comes with ProDG which is a plugin for Microsoft Visual Studio to let programmers debug PS3 code on a windows machine(the linux option for the ps3 has no gui making debugging on it a bitch).  And of course sony makes windows PCs.

As for MMOs on the 360, with the exception of FFXI, MS wants a cut from monthly fees regardless of what platform a person uses, they also discourage developers from hosting their own servers and want them exclusively on Live, so yeah fuck that.

And mesh yeah fuck Java but C# only looks like Java it runs a lot better and is fucking amazing.  I use it to develop tools, and XNA proved me wrong about game dev on C#.  XNA is amazing, sadly MS is not taking it seriously(they want it for garage devs, not pro devs who want to start their own indie studios).  For my indie game I'm using C# through the Unity Engine.  Five years ago I would be have scoffed at the idea but damn Unity and XNA have proved me wrong.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:21:16 PM by Logick »
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »
XNA is amazing, sadly MS is not taking it seriously(they want it for garage devs, not pro devs who want to start their own indie studios).

Somewhat tangential, but it feels to me like MS is widening the gulf more and more between big budget development and small indie stuff, especially when you combine this with the minimum of 50,000 copies printed that's just not viable for some games. Really don't like a lot of their calls.

Also since it's related: I caught this on Neogaf... which was apparently in turn caught from the Final Fantasy XI Twitter Feed:

Microsoft's inflexibility has failed MMO's on Xbox - What can be done?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:39:31 AM by Eusis »

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:56:36 PM »
I wrote my own game engine in C++ because I am a very, very bored motherfucker.
o/` I do not dream o/`