Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334842 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Patent trolls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Patent trolls  (Read 577 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »

I don't normally post this kind of stuff here, but This American Life had a really good show recently discussing patent trolls and the problems with the patent system.  This is something I think everyone should listen to.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:30:14 PM »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/1/2/

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:50:46 PM »

I heard this show too and I agree, it's great. Actually, NPR has to try really hard to disappoint me most days. I tune in at least once a day.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »

I am SO big on ThisAmericanLife. I've listened to every show back to episode 305, and working my way backwards thanks to the Internet.

This week's show was great. Their best one since that drug court episode that got them in a lawsuit of their own.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:20 PM »

I heard this show too and I agree, it's great. Actually, NPR has to try really hard to disappoint me most days. I tune in at least once a day.

Likewise.  I had to throw some money their way since Rick Scott decided to pull funding to NPR in Florida.
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »

I'm a big NPR and This American Life fan. I thought this program was interesting, particularly because I used to work at a patent lawfirm up until a week ago. Most of our clients were mid-tier companies and individual inventors. Most of our clients were developing patents for drugs and therapies to fight cancer, but they ranged from designs for beds to 3D specs technology.

Our firm didn't do much litigation (suing) but mostly did prosecution (getting stuff patented in the first place). Before I left, though, I was working with an attorney on a case for litigation in China, and let me tell you, it may be easy to litigate in the US, but internationally, it's a pain in the ass.

We didn't deal with software, though, and that's what this program focuses on; it's harder to troll patents for pharmaceuticals, though not impossible. But seeing the amount of money involved in these patents, I can understand how appealing (and devious) being a troll is.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: