Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334650 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  3DS vs. Vita - which will be the RPG'ers choice?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 3DS vs. Vita - which will be the RPG'ers choice?  (Read 6987 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »

Honestly, 3D is as much as a gimmick as "improved graphics" is. They're both irrelevant to gameplay mechanics, yes, but as RPG fans, we are very well attuned to the roll of atmosphere and immersion. Coming from the same community that gushes over Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and Okami (myself included). These are 3 games that (among not being BAD in the gameplay category) are truly defined by their immersive atmosphere. Therefor, I think it's kind of hypocritical to discredit a technique that is designed to improve that very quality. One could define HDR Lighting as a gimmick too, but look how vibrant it made Shadow of the Colossus, or how enchanting cell shading made Okami. 3D is just another weapon for developers to immerse audiences in a game world in interesting ways. I have no doubt that many will abuse it and/or make it boring, just like so many HDR games these days provide little added feeling to the environment.

No, it's not an immediate game-changer like having a touch-sensitive screen, or analog stick. But it's an interesting tool that I'm sure will provide us with some incredibly enchanting experiences.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »

Honestly, 3D is as much as a gimmick as "improved graphics" is. They're both irrelevant to gameplay mechanics, yes, but as RPG fans, we are very well attuned to the roll of atmosphere and immersion. Coming from the same community that gushes over Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and Okami (myself included). These are 3 games that (among not being BAD in the gameplay category) are truly defined by their immersive atmosphere. Therefor, I think it's kind of hypocritical to discredit a technique that is designed to improve that very quality. One could define HDR Lighting as a gimmick too, but look how vibrant it made Shadow of the Colossus, or how enchanting cell shading made Okami. 3D is just another weapon for developers to immerse audiences in a game world in interesting ways. I have no doubt that many will abuse it and/or make it boring, just like so many HDR games these days provide little added feeling to the environment.

No, it's not an immediate game-changer like having a touch-sensitive screen, or analog stick. But it's an interesting tool that I'm sure will provide us with some incredibly enchanting experiences.

You just summarized my thoughts PEREFCTLY.  Thank you.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »

Improved graphics don't give me a headache after 5 minutes of playtime.  Screw 3D.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 10:42:57 PM »

One of the unfortunate things about 3D that isn't there in normal graphics, which Kevadu brought up, is that some people react to it differently. I can stare at the 3D for as long as I want and be fine, but there are others who can't look at it for too long and even those who can't see it. Everyone's eyes are different and will react differently to 3D, unlike normal graphics.

In all honesty though, I think both will be good for RPGs. I see not much changing from the way it is now with DS's and PSP's.

And here's to hoping that indie developers can start getting off the PC and onto handhelds (that aren't iOS or the like).

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 12:21:55 AM »

Lock this thread and open it again in two years.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »

Retarded responses aside, this matter is too far out to call. Neither system is going to host many RPGs for another 2 or 3 years, and the ones that do show up earlier are typically ports or awful. It took the DS 2 years to finally get worthwhile software and at least another year for the PSP to be something other than the "PortStation Portable". It's going to take a while for the 3DS to do the same (and for the Vita to actually, you know, come out and disappoint). The other thing is the eventual revisions that both systems will undoubtedly undergo. So wait for the 3^3DS by getting the DSi XL, or the RG Vita with the PSP Go. Or better yet, skip both and get an Android. Plenty of indie RPGs to play at your local Starbucks.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 03:17:41 AM »

Why exactly is 3D on a handheld (and I guess you can apply this to consoles as well) a gimmick?  I'd love to hear an intelliegent argument on this stance.  That includes not saying "it adds nothing to the gameplay".  That argument can be made for a LOT of features in gaming today.

Have you tried out the 3DS? I did, I played OoT 3D on it, the one game that was supposed to convince me of how great 3D can be on the system. I'll admit, the 3D effect added a layer of freshness to some segments and it didn't mess up my head like it did to some people (haven't played the entire game though, as the 3DS was not mine), but you had to keep your head in a zone directly in front of the screen to see the effect. And every time I used the slingshot and tilted the 3DS, of course the 3D effect disappeared.

I played a few other games too, the 3D was understandably tacked on just for the sake of 3D so there's no reason to discuss those.

I actually like 3D and don't consider it a gimmick in general. Writing off 3DS' 3D just because some games badly utilized it would be unreasonable, but the device itself doesn't seem to be ready for substantial 3D implementation. Not to mention turning on 3D apparently reduces the image quality of some games.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 03:56:49 AM »

Sure, we could have a subtely retitled thread in 2 years time - but then we'd know the answer anyway, so why ask the question?

The idea of this thread was to pool the assembled minds of the rpgfan community to make an educated guess as to which will be the best platform. I guess a lot will depend on the type of games you like - I can see the Vita handling stuff like Mass Effect pretty well but I'm not convinced it would be the best fit for the average JRPG.

I've propbably got till the end of next week to decide. It might come down to how much they discount the DSi (if the DS3 is seeing 40% RRP drops on 12th August, hopefully the DSi will follow suit) as to whether I go for that as a short term stopgap while the market matures.
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »

Looks like some people on here at least acknowledge 3D isn't just a "gimmick".  Anything that enhances the gaming experience can hardly be considered a gimmick.

That said, I COMPLETELY understand if some people have a hard time with the 3DS sweet spot and how limited it is.  Excessive squinting, eye strain, headaches, I'm sympathetic to all of that, though I will say you do get used to it after awhile.  Now those those are valid qualms with the 3D technology or the way it's implemented.  Unfortunate side effects for some I guess.  But that doesn't make 3D itself a gimmick.  And not everyone if affected.  Reading various sites, and this includes 3D movies as well, people just write off 3D for the dumbest reasons, like having to wear glasses.  All I can say is if those people come in with an honestly open mind, I think most people would be really shocked at just how amazing games in 3D can be.  Even a simple fighter like Mortal Kombat looks absolutely stellar in 3D, and it doesn't detract from the gameplay at all.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »

Funnily enough, I think the DS had the best 'gimmick' ever for RPG fans in terms of a 2nd screen acting as a map/inventory. I can't think of anything that would be more useful for us.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »

the problem with 3D on the 3DS is that it uses processing power. that and some companies seem to think 3D is enough to make me want to play a game ive already beaten several times again....

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »

Funnily enough, I think the DS had the best 'gimmick' ever for RPG fans in terms of a 2nd screen acting as a map/inventory. I can't think of anything that would be more useful for us.

That's the best part of the Wii U for me. Having a touch screen on the controller can be so convenient, especially for RPGs.

What if Sony allows you to use the Vita as a controller for the PS4? That would be great, despite the lack of R2 and L2 buttons.

SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »

the problem with 3D on the 3DS is that it uses processing power. that and some companies seem to think 3D is enough to make me want to play a game ive already beaten several times again....

If you're talking about 3D remakes like Zelda OOT, I couldn't agree more. 
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 05:54:07 PM »

3DS will have the first year advantages.Vita will need a strong move during 2012 and 2013 to take the lead.I can see Capcom and Sony pulling the Monster Hunter card and skyrocketing the Vita momentum but Sony needs huge hits in the West to push out Nintendo's 15 year dominance...again.

This feels like 2004 all over again.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »

Oh yeah I forgot a very important factor. 3DS suffers from region locking, while the Vita is supposedly region-free.

I think this one concerns JRPG fans more than everyone else. So take that into consideration, Themadcow.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: