Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 03:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335193 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  3DS vs. Vita - which will be the RPG'ers choice?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: 3DS vs. Vita - which will be the RPG'ers choice?  (Read 7006 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »

Oh yeah I forgot a very important factor. 3DS suffers from region locking, while the Vita is supposedly region-free.

I think this one concerns JRPG fans more than everyone else. So take that into consideration, Themadcow.

Actually, I think when it comes to JRPGs it primarily matters to people in Europe, who from what I've seen traditionally go for their region's version but will import if necessary. Other games (like Ouendan) are more import friendly and thus affect way more people, while for anyone who learned the language it's a comparatively small investment to import the system, and not only would you have guaranteed access to each Japanese title but those are extreme purists would want nothing to do with the English version anyway.

And those 3D releases ARE actual remakes, at least from Nintendo, Ocarina of Time runs smoother and has graphics that are actually a pretty significant improvement, even if you wouldn't think it unless you JUST played OoT again or saw comparisons.

This feels like 2004 all over again.

Except Apple and Zynga have thrown a wrench into the works. I'm going to stay optimistic that the 3DS at the least will do pretty well overall, even if it's not going to match the DS's success, but the casual audience has mostly moved on and too many serious gamers blow off handhelds entirely, justly or not.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:44:12 PM by Eusis » Logged
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »

And those 3D releases ARE actual remakes, at least from Nintendo, Ocarina of Time runs smoother and has graphics that are actually a pretty significant improvement, even if you wouldn't think it unless you JUST played OoT again or saw comparisons.

[/quote]

But they're still just that...remakes, even if they're significantly updated to today's technological standards or have new content.  Zelda OOT was out over a decade ago.  I and many others have already played it either on the N64 or GC ages ago.  It needs NEW content.  Even the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei is a remake from the regular DS.  I don't see any NEW rpg's on the 3DS horizon coming anytime soon.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »

No, you're right, they needs fresh content more than remakes, I'm just pointing out that there IS a reason to get them beyond portability and "but it's 3D!"
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »

I missed out on Tales of the Abyss and Devil Survivor, so I'm happy for the time being... and the 3D will be a nice touch.

I hear more and more talk about smartphones affecting the market.  I have had conversations where I say "if I taped this tracphone to my 3DS, I'd have the same product as your phone."  The Vita with 3G is going to make that argument even easier, as the biggest setback with handhelds is the hotspot requirement.  I've never bothered at McDonalds, because fuck man, I'm eating and my fingers are greasy, and I can just go home and use a real computer.

That, and I use the drive-thru almost exclusively.  I spend as little time away from home as possible. 

I bet Japan has wifi hotspots all over, though, and where I live in the USA, it's all farmland and cow poop smell.  I don't think I quite understand who the wifi functionality is for, because while it is really nice to have gamefaqs open in my hands while my HDTV isn't on my PC channel, the scope of Spotpass seemed much greater than that.  Something like "Free Zelda NES 3D Classics download through Spotpass at Best-Buy, today only" would get me off my ass and racking up play coins in no time.

God I am so pent up about the 3DS sucking right now.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 10:38:07 PM »

Maybe that wasn't really aimed at what I was saying, but it's not whether or not a smartphone is better, it's whether or not it's drawing away the audience that helps these systems gain a footing, or even draws in those that have ignored handhelds and probably would've liked them if they tried. I don't mind having iOS games complimenting this type of experience, it's better for the medium really, but if I had to choose between which of the two survives it'd definitely be traditional handhelds. Especially with the DS line already having a touchscreen and the Vita using the same type as on smartphones anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:05:22 AM by Eusis » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 12:21:55 AM »

Zenonia was a phone game before it hit DSi, where I discovered it.  So I can't be against that.  It's just that the smartphone people are so... proud.  They don't have niche loyalty like some gamers do, because they just signed a 2 year contract, which amounts to much more cash than someone buying two handhelds.  <---dumb sentence

They are fanboys to their contracts.

Basically, no one can afford to buy a 'handheld' after they've signed a contract for a smartphone service plan, so they'll defend it to hell.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:20:09 AM by Fei » Logged

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 02:34:44 AM »

3DS may be dead soon
I'd put bets on Vita
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 02:56:53 AM »

3DS may be dead soon
I'd put bets on Vita

Except it launched in a relatively slow period and just had a price drop, so it'll probably pick up. And frankly, if it doesn't then I have no hope for the Vita, which is doubly frustrating than simply one of the two failing.
darcthelad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 06:14:59 AM »

I know this isn't what you want to hear, Themadcow, but honestly I wouldn't buy either system now.  At least not for RPGs.

Keep in mind if you're planning on playing DS games on the 3DS I have heard (though I don't have a 3DS myself to confirm...) that most DS games really don't look good on the 3DS screen because of the stretching from the resolution differences.  When you add in the 3DS's battery life issues I think you're much better off playing DS games on a DS.

Maybe see if you can find a cheap DS somewhere.  There are probably great deals to be had these days, so I wouldn't pay MSRP.

Personally I'm quite interested in the Vita, but not for RPGs at this point.  They've barely announced any yet.  Of course it's still really early, and RPG developers tend to be slower about adopting new platforms in general.

I second this. Generally, video games and gaming systems plummet in value, so even just waiting 6 months can net you a much cheaper machine/game. There is also the point about how some consoles (I'm looking at you, PS2!!! >:( ) start out defective beyond repair and the company cheats the customers it scammed by violating court order after court order (die Sony!!! >:( ). In those cases, you have to buy a later model of the product that actually works anyway.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 06:30:12 AM »

I've heard that DS games don't look too hot on the 3DS, can anyone confirm?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »

From Gamespot forums:

The top screen of the 3DS has a higher resolution that previous iterations. This can make the game seem somewhat blurry, but not unplayable. When selecting to play a DS game from the menu, simply hold down the start or select buttons and your 3DS will display the game in its native resolution and the blurriness factor is removed from the equation.

Not 100% sure about this, but I've seen it mentioned a few times on other forums as well.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 08:45:32 AM »

From Gamespot forums:

The top screen of the 3DS has a higher resolution that previous iterations. This can make the game seem somewhat blurry, but not unplayable. When selecting to play a DS game from the menu, simply hold down the start or select buttons and your 3DS will display the game in its native resolution and the blurriness factor is removed from the equation.

Not 100% sure about this, but I've seen it mentioned a few times on other forums as well.

Oh cool, didn't know about that. Considering the fact that I hear people complain I'm guessing that some 3DS owners don't know about that either.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »

The blurriness factor is removed from the equation, but like all good equations, another variable has to give, in this case, size.  I don't know how well versed you all are in this stuff, but I'll compare it to playing PSP games on your TV.  Too many small pixels, celebrated as high resolution, so when you match the native you are left with smaller physical dimensions.

I miss CRT monitors now.  "HD" is so barely an evolution of technology, and so much more of economic exploitation.

protip: don't buy a 1080p HDTV unless the physical dimensions are large. 

DS games look worse on 3DS, absolutely.  Like Wii games on an HDTV, actually. 

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 03:55:38 PM »

The blurriness factor is removed from the equation, but like all good equations, another variable has to give, in this case, size.  I don't know how well versed you all are in this stuff, but I'll compare it to playing PSP games on your TV.  Too many small pixels, celebrated as high resolution, so when you match the native you are left with smaller physical dimensions.

I miss CRT monitors now.  "HD" is so barely an evolution of technology, and so much more of economic exploitation.

protip: don't buy a 1080p HDTV unless the physical dimensions are large. 

DS games look worse on 3DS, absolutely.  Like Wii games on an HDTV, actually. 

Oh I know how PSP games look on a TV, I bought a cable and barely use it, the aliasing is so bad it hurts my eyes. I don't know how you went from that to saying that HD isn't a significant upgrade though. The hell it isn't.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »

PC gamers

CRT monitors
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:22:02 PM by Fei » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: