Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 08:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329869 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A place to decide the most popular RPG.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: A place to decide the most popular RPG.  (Read 5417 times)
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »

I'm not discounting it's greatness, but for the love of all that's kinky and filthy why is SotN on this list? It along with all the Zelda titles is not an RPG.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »

If memory serves me right, L blocks victory had something to do with somethingawful goons (or some other large online community, can't remember). It was their way of mocking the whole voting thing. Worked like a charm though, and I'm fairly sure a lot of outside people picked up on it too. Heck, Id vote for L block if I had an account there.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Symbios

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 04:16:36 AM »

I don't think what i said was too much at all. When i posted that this thread said deciding the "best rpg" lists like that only bring out morons and fanboys who fight over what they think is "best" when it's really only a matter of taste. Some people will tell you Big Rigs is the best game ever, doesn't mean we're all supposed to agree with it.

I admit the original title was not appropriate, that's why i changed it. Of course each player has their own favorite games. However, I think a ranking like this one might be of some use : 1) It provides an exhaustive list of existing RPGs 2) It can give an idea of the quality of the games (with the limitations that are discussed here, when I look at the list, I don't see any dumb game in the top 100)

bullshit and bad for you.
It is still a bit too much in my opinion as i hardly understand how the existence of this list is gonna be bad for me in any possible way^^. At worst, it is useless.

T blocks rock. 

I totally agree, T blocks saved my life so many times...

I don't think I should be allowed to vote in this at all. I think The World Ends With You is the best RPG out there. Oh god, it feels so wrong to say that.

Why not ? Tastes are tastes. Besides, even if not the best for me, this one was quite refreshing.

I'm not discounting it's greatness, but for the love of all that's kinky and filthy why is SotN on this list? It along with all the Zelda titles is not an RPG.

My definition of an RPG is, I admit, a VERY large one and includes the action/aventure and turn based startegy games with some RPG elements.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 09:48:51 AM »

The only up side to a list like this that I can see, is having lesser known titles become visible to a mainstream player base. Take a player that knows nothing but Final Fantasy, he or she sees Shadow Hearts on the list with a few votes and might decide that its worth looking into.

NOW PLAYING:
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »

Why is Dark Souls on a list of games for people to vote for when the game isn't out for months? That's just dumb.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »

Why is Dark Souls on a list of games for people to vote for when the game isn't out for months? That's just dumb.

Maybe because the game is that good? Dunno.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »

It's not out yet. How do you know it is good?

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 01:49:48 PM »

It's not out yet. How do you know it is good?

Because we want it so bad that it HAS to be good. Or we'll have a temper tantrum.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »

There's also a good chance its being confused with Demons Souls. If I remember right, there is also a commercial indie title going by that name.

NOW PLAYING:
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »

My definition of an RPG is, I admit, a VERY large one and includes the action/aventure and turn based startegy games with some RPG elements.

Then where the hell are the Ratchet and Clank games they need to be on the list too. You gain XP and money for killing enemies and your stats and weapons level up. By your definition Ratchet and Clank IS an RPG! and what about No More Heroes, you can upgrade your health and attack power in that series too?

Edit: Nevermind they are now. #505 and 504

Also I'm sorry but lulz at putting Dark Souls on the list.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:41:04 PM by Demon_Princess_Kay » Logged

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 05:15:59 PM »

I personally favor a broad umbrella definition for RPG. Mainly, it's no fun to split hairs on fringe titles. But also some "action adventure" games like Red Dead Redemption have far more compelling narratives than a good chunk of classic RPGs.

So if Mega Man Legends is an RPG, then so is SotN.

That's just me though.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »

SOTN is not an RPG. Neither is Zelda.

Symbios

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:22 AM »

Just because it is not the game you are thinking about.

If I remember right, there is also a commercial indie title going by that name.

Maxximum is right. Based on the release date, it is the indie game.

Then where the hell are the Ratchet and Clank games they need to be on the list too. You gain XP and money for killing enemies and your stats and weapons level up. By your definition Ratchet and Clank IS an RPG! and what about No More Heroes, you can upgrade your health and attack power in that series too?

Edit: Nevermind they are now. #505 and 504

Didn't know these games contain RPG elements. Thanks for adding them to the list.

I know that considering Zelda or SotN as RPGs may bother some players but not considering them as RPGs may bother some others... This debate is endless...
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 05:25:30 PM »

I really have to ask. Looking at your post count was your only reason for even coming to this board to promote your list? Not to be an ass or anything, but seriously that kind of makes you spammer.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »

Dark Souls is going to be awesome. That said, I wouldn't vote for it two months ahead of its release just because I enjoyed the hell out of the E3 demo.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: