Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 09:57:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327289 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  do we have a "let me vent" thread?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: do we have a "let me vent" thread?  (Read 2685 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:37:16 AM »

Ok so I need to just vent for a moment.... I don't know if there is a thread for random gripes and what-not, so if not let this be it.....

I have been working 12-16 hour days for weeks now and its really getting to me.... I am super booked up (tattoo artist by trade) and as childish as this sounds..... I AM TOTALLY UPSET ON HOW INVADED MY GAMING AND ANIME TIME HAS BECOME!!!..... Just had to get that out... Don't get me wrong, I am uber-grateful for my job.... I love it... I just simply also need to get through the rest of Gosick and Trails in the Sky at a reasonable pace to remain happy and balanced in life.... Thank God I don't have a girlfriend now or I would really be screwed....

Anyone else ever been in a position where life called you away, out of necessity, from gaming and anime and as such you felt like a little bitch because it upset you.... no?? just me eh...? iif not whine about something unrelated.... everyone needs to vent right?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »

I'm usually too busy to notice.  When I do get time for other things, I instead notice how long it has been since last time (or how much higher level my friends are now :P).

I notice time flying more than anything.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »

You're not alone - I get that way too sometimes.  "Why do I have to go to work?  Fallout is waiting for me to play it some more!"  But like you, I think "don't be an idiot," and I go to work. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »

I do something similar except I use the gaming escape as a way to get through work. When I  get sick and tired of being at the job I tell myself just wait, "insert game name here" is waiting to be played when I get home. but to be honest until the last year or so for the most part I've enjoyed my career.

Everything's Eventual
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »

For me and school it's more along the lines of, "The weekend is here and you have Friday and Saturday to goof off as much as you want." Then it's back to work for me...

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »

I look forward to coming home to certain games too, but sometimes when I actually get home I don't want to play the game I was thinking about all day, as if I already played that out.  I end up playing the most random games that happened to surface in my memory in a positive light in that very moment.

Otherwise, I agree with Bytor... they still serve as a carrot on a stick, getting me through the day.

Having been unemployed for long stints in the past, let me tell you... having less time for your hobby lets you enjoy it more, whether or not you realize it.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:47 AM »

I'm tired of the Battlefield 3 / CoD flame war that engulfs the internet every time one of those games gets released.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »

I am doing a series of training seminars in a training center on the other end of the country. So that means leaving behind all my consoles... Catherine and Xenoblade are waiting for me... :(

When I am there, I have 8-5 classes and 3 hours of homework. Not even much time to play the PSP. And I have another week of this at the end of September and a third in November. I want to stay home and play my shiney new games!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »

When I spend several days without finding time for gaming, specially when I just bought a game that I was really looking forward to, it definitely pisses me off.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 03:28:04 AM »

Here is something I want to vent about:  The term 'MMO'

MMO stands for massively multiplayer online...that's it.  An adverb and two adjectives.  And yet, everyone in the world seems to use the term as a noun.  I seriously cringe everytime I see it used like that.  And that happens a lot.

The history here is that first we had the MMORPG: massively multiplayer online roleplaying game. Everything else is just modifying the word 'game', which certainly is a noun so it is correct to use the acronym as such.  But then people started developing massively multiplayer games that were not RPGs, so using some sort of twisted acronym manipulation logic they just subtracted the 'RPG' part.  Sorry guys, but the G is friggin important.  It should have stayed.  Otherwise I just want to scream at you, "Massively multiplayer online what?!"

Is MMOG so hard to type?

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »

MMO stands for massively multiplayer online...that's it.  An adverb and two adjectives.  And yet, everyone in the world seems to use the term as a noun.  I seriously cringe everytime I see it used like that.  And that happens a lot.

The history here is that first we had the MMORPG: massively multiplayer online roleplaying game. Everything else is just modifying the word 'game', which certainly is a noun so it is correct to use the acronym as such.  But then people started developing massively multiplayer games that were not RPGs, so using some sort of twisted acronym manipulation logic they just subtracted the 'RPG' part.  Sorry guys, but the G is friggin important.  It should have stayed.  Otherwise I just want to scream at you, "Massively multiplayer online what?!"

Is MMOG so hard to type?

MMO is usually just shorthand for MMORPG to me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:07 PM »

Is MMOG so hard to type?

This is a ridiculous argument. MMO is pretty much always used in the context of a game, it is pretty much understood that when someone writes MMO it is about a game. What's the big deal here?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 02:24:14 PM »

This is a ridiculous argument. MMO is pretty much always used in the context of a game, it is pretty much understood that when someone writes MMO it is about a game. What's the big deal here?

The big deal is that it's a complete bastardization of the English language.  If you want to know the proper way to use an acronym, expand it out and see if it fits.  It's similar to how people are idiots for saying things like 'PIN number' or 'ATM machine', except that instead of being redundant we're actually missing an essential word.

Is that so hard to understand?

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »

That reminds me that some people here like to write "rpg game".

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »

The big deal is that it's a complete bastardization of the English language.  If you want to know the proper way to use an acronym, expand it out and see if it fits.  It's similar to how people are idiots for saying things like 'PIN number' or 'ATM machine', except that instead of being redundant we're actually missing an essential word.

Is that so hard to understand?

There's nothing hard to understand, it's simply a ridiculous argument. Language is not meant to be confined to rules. In fact, language doesn't function on rules, it functions on the consensus of the language community. It adapts to the situation and community that uses it. Plain and simple. You can sit on a high horse and dictate these "rules" all you want, but it will do nothing to deter the change the language will undergo. You can speak of "bastardization" all you want, but if any linguistic prescriptivist were to sit down and go through your own language usage, they'd no doubt find many instances where you "bastardize" the language.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: