Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:54:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328023 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Annual Expansion Releases?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Annual Expansion Releases?  (Read 2626 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:15:40 AM »

The story from the newsroom:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156502.html?tag=lastword;link

So....rather than spend SOME small amount of money in producing a new StarCraft, Diablo, or Lost Vikings game....Blizzard wants to spend most of their time creating new expansions.

Anyone else think that a year apart is too little time? I mean, if Blizz keeps doing these major patch updates every few months, I think they could easily get away from having to come up with random content every year. Look at the Scourge Invasion stuff, that came out in a big patch, released a new level of raid armor, and unveiled a new raid dungeon!

At any rate....every year and a half to two years if you ask me, anything quicker and they'll start to look like Everquest.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:34:57 AM »

Honestly, I kind of think this is good. I'd rather have them making content all the time. Hopefully expansions that aren't full of bugs and shit. As long as they don't set the price of them too high. I'd also like to add that the content in the expansions be quality stuff not crap A.K.A: UO expansions post-rennaissance.

My argument for this would be of the line, that most gamers probably purchase more than one or two games a year. So in essence you're really just buying another game. If you factor in the 2 six month subscriptions and the price of an expansion (roughly $30), it's about the price of 3 games, or    2 1/2 Xbox 360 games.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 11:38:49 AM »

1 year for each expansion is deffinately too little time especially, as Dade said, when they release patches that add a ton of content. A two year cycle (or maybe a year and a half, because 2 seems a bit long) would be good because it would allow players time enough to get to the level cap, get their flying mounts, explore the outland, complete raids, and etc. before the next patch came out.

If you read the newspost again, you'll also see that a yearly expansion is their ideal goal, but that the development process might keep them from hitting their mark. They also said they won't release a product unless they are proud of the quality and they think it's good enough for the players, so that could also hamper the expansion process.

It's probably going to end up being a longer development cycle anyways. But what do you think the expansions will do the the large amount of content in each patch?
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 11:47:08 AM »

The thing is, they're planning to lower the amount of content patches as per this interview

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/misc/fpearceinterview.html

I imagine the Gamespot article referenced this interview.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »

Guys, a year for an expansion is still a pretty long period compared to just about anything SOE does.  Look at it this way - World of Warcraft and EQ2 launched within a month of each other.  EQ2 has three expansions, with a fourth on the way before the Burning Crusade hits; WoW is getting its first.  There will be 2 mediocre SOE expansions for every one (good?) Blizzard expansions.  Despite what might be construed at profit mongering, ANY kind of free patch stuff is a lot better than the norm in the industry.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 12:50:37 PM »

Hey I'm all for free patches....but my big concern is that since Blizz seems to have spent the better part of the last year working on the Burning Crusade, that all their time and efforts (at least with the World of Warcraft team) will be dedicated to new expansions only.

Granted, that the developer that was interviewed in Iolaus' post said that patches would be less frequent now...but if you ask me, a nice big content-packed expansion every once in a while and a fair number of small patches is the way for them to go.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:23:21 PM »

Except that they wouldn't make as much money if they went about it the way you're wanting them to go.  That's entirely the point of their new direction, and one can't really blame them for wanting to go this route, especially since they've got everyone hooked.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 03:30:58 PM »

This being my first MMO and not really know what SoE has done with EQ, it seems fast.

But, lately I've been reading the forums and I saw a couple posts with all the stuff they'd like to do in the future.  Things like the emerald dream, northrend, grim batol, alexestra(dragon?), death wing, arthas, illidan, etc are things the developers I believe said they'd like to do at some point.  I know what none of these things are, but they sounded interesting.

If they want to do them then I guess they would have to speed up.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 04:52:16 PM »

Working off of what Dade said again, Blizz has been working on this expansion for a good long while now and they are going to be adding a LOT to the game, the biggest things being races, the outland, and a higher level cap, plus many other dungeons and areas that make for a very high quality expansion (or so it seems at the moment). My question to Blizzard would be how are they going to keep up the level of quality and amount of content in their future expansions? Granted, they could always just make less content in the expansions (who two more races every year?), but then wouldn't people think that they are getting ripped off when what makes up next year's expansion could easily have been fit into content patches?

So basically, where does Blizzard go from here?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 05:53:45 PM »

I'm of the mind that while the yearly expansions wouldn't be such a bad thing, on the other hand a lot of the "free" updates are incredibly halfassed, at least these days.  Speaking of which, my server has been in permalag hell since 1.12, with WSG/AB crashing entirely every few hours. Whee.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: