Author Topic: The year in videogames so far

CDFN

• View Profile
Re: The year in videogames so far
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »
The fact that the good games are overshadowed by the big shooters doesn't stop you from playing and enjoying them. Not sure if WKC2 falls into that category, I haven't heard a single remotely positive opinion and the 59 on metacritic seems to confirm that. RoF was great but that was last year.

I don't know what systems you own but even if not counting anything with shooting in it there are a lot of brilliant games like Catherine, Radiant Historia, Trails in the Sky, Portal 2, Yakuza 4, The Witcher 2, Little Big Planet 2, Limbo (if you only own a PS3 and/or PC)...
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »
None. There's nothing unique, interesting, or highly enjoyable, and I'm talking about the kind of joy that leaves you in awe. And even if that kind of games happened to exist, they are overshadowed by "Call of Duty: the game of the previous year" or the "Battlefield" series and all of those other games which names are a definition of BOOOM SHAKALAKALAKA.

This is ridiculous.  I don't like those sorts of games either, but their existence does not magically prevent me from playing the games I do like.  Maybe they don't have multi-million dollar advertising campaigns but you somehow found your way to RPGFan, a site full of people who talk about lesser known titles all the friggin time.  This has actually been a great year.  Look at some of the stuff CDFN listed.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
I'm surprised probably almost no one else saw Shadows being so good.
Asura's Wrath and AC:R have me most interested right now.
It seems most logical to wait until games are decently cheap used to keep from going broke and still afford a shit ton of games.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:33:05 PM by insertnamehere »

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Dann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 01:22:23 AM »
The fact that the good games are overshadowed by the big shooters doesn't stop you from playing and enjoying them.

Never said that (but it does, though). I don't have enough budget to expand my knowledge on nowadays RPGs since most games cost $60 a piece, and I might add that I don't dispose enough time to check what's what either. My point being, imagine someone who barely knows what an RPG is, and what's worth trying and what isn't. How does this guy find his way through something enjoyable if not by advertising?.
More or less this isn't my case since I do have the knowledge (above the average, at least); probably not as much as you do, but I'm on my way.

Not sure if WKC2 falls into that category, I haven't heard a single remotely positive opinion and the 59 on metacritic seems to confirm that.

Heh. Now, what's that supposed to prove or even say? "Go enjoy your shitty game with you crappy tastes, you narrow-minded maggot".

Maybe they don't have multi-million dollar advertising campaigns but you somehow found your way to RPGFan

I clicked by accident in one of those google ads. Best mistake I've made to date.

A site full of people who talk about lesser known titles all the friggin time.

Indeed, my friend, indeed. And I'm hungry for that precious knowledge.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 01:34:04 AM »
My favourite so far is Mass Effect 2 PS3. Yes, it counts as 2011 because.. well, it's the PS3 version. And I'll use a technicality if I want to, damnit. Everything else I've played wasn't from 2011... I played a lot of 2009/10 stuff though, apparently.

Biggest disappointment: The 3rd Birthday. Game looks great, it plays okay but gets kind of boring, story is a big pile of WTF.

Looking forward to: Whenever I buy Catherine, DXHR, Innocent Sin, Dark Souls... and AC Revelations. I'm still pissed The Witcher 2 360 got delayed.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »
The fact that the good games are overshadowed by the big shooters doesn't stop you from playing and enjoying them. Not sure if WKC2 falls into that category, I haven't heard a single remotely positive opinion and the 59 on metacritic seems to confirm that. RoF was great but that was last year.

The problem with WKC2 is that WKC1 left a pretty bad aftertaste to anyone who played it (took forever to come out, plot was dumb and by the numbers, gameplay was unbalanced and bleh (more specifically, flashier attacks didn't nearly justify the cost in action chips with their lackluster damage output and those action chips were both the main fuel for higher level combat and ridiculously hard to renew), online was grindier than a motherfucker). Also doesn't help that the general impression of WKC2 was that it only rebalanced the gameplay some and cut the grinding down in the online mode, but didn't really do anything for the more or less unsalvageable plot/characters beyond making your custom MC slightly more relevant than a set piece like s/he was previously.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 05:37:12 AM »
The fact that the good games are overshadowed by the big shooters doesn't stop you from playing and enjoying them.

Never said that (but it does, though). I don't have enough budget to expand my knowledge on nowadays RPGs since most games cost $60 a piece, and I might add that I don't dispose enough time to check what's what either. My point being, imagine someone who barely knows what an RPG is, and what's worth trying and what isn't. How does this guy find his way through something enjoyable if not by advertising?.
More or less this isn't my case since I do have the knowledge (above the average, at least); probably not as much as you do, but I'm on my way.

It's ALWAYS been like that, you usually subscribed to magazines or whatever to follow these games. Admittedly it might be more exaggerated compared to the past, but you'll still see stuff like Catherine spotlighted on a magazine cover as a strange game. That, and there's plenty of cheap options: If you don't already have a PSP get one for games like Tactics Ogre and Trails in the Sky (or get a Vita when it comes out and download them), and there's also Ghost Trick on the DS if you want something interesting/different. Hell, Summer of Arcade's been really good for XBLA this year, surprising me as none of them looked TOO compelling on a cursory glance, but you would probably be interested in Bastion, From Dust is an interesting take on the God game, and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is actually a Metroid-type game. There's a reason I keep saying this year's wildly mixed, there's plenty of cause for the attitude you have, what with cancellations, support dropping out for systems that have amazing or at least interesting games yet to be brought out here, and many of these companies going in questionable directions, but there's also been a lot of great games if you know where to look and some great stuff coming along in the second half of the year.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:39:13 AM by Eusis »

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »
I've hardly played anything that came out this year. I had fun with Dead Space 2. Now I'm playing Bastion and enjoying it quite a bit. Otherwise I've been playing the Ys games on my PSP and games that came out over a year ago like Heavy Rain.
The good stuff for me comes this Fall. Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, Journey(hopefully. no release date yet) and probably a few others I'm forgetting.
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
What was your biggest disappointment?

The 3rd Birthday: I waited and waited for this game to come, and it's story was just awful despite having good gameplay i don't really want to play it anymore.

The worse part about the The 3rd Birthday is that I can't see Square Enix doing another one. I mean, how can anyone create another sequel after that ending?

But maybe I'm underestimating Square Enix. After all, they did X-2 and the Compilation of FFVII.

I think it's worse thinking of how someone actually gave the okay for that ending to happen. Seriously that ending made me want to vomit. Who wrote that fucking shit cause i seriously want to beat them with a baseball bat it was so horrendous.

Lucca

• AMG A GIRL
  • SUGAR PEAS!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgcafe.net
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 12:03:15 AM »
It's actually been a pretty good year for video games, actually.

Loved Legend of Heroes, Trails in the Sky.
Tactics Ogre was wonderful.
Radiant Historia - Squee!
Cathriene - So different.

Final Fantasy IV Complete - A mixed bag. I really like how they spruced up TAY, but oh god, the Interlude goes under the biggest dissapointment of the year for me. I felt that sloppily written shit was a big middle finger from Square Enix.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »
Yeah, I've been enjoying older stuff so far this year.  I think the rest of the year will be about what happens in the latter half of it.  November is going to be an absolutely massive month.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!