Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 01:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338391 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Are you cheap? Where do you cut corners?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Are you cheap? Where do you cut corners?  (Read 3000 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »

I'm not really a cheap person, but with contact lenses I really stretch out their lifespan.

I'm wearing a pair right now, monthly disposables. I first put them in November... 2009

(Finally getting new ones later)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »

I wish I could afford not to be...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »

^did not cut corners with his new rig

:)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

Lets see... my glasses are 8 years old.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »

I'm not exactly cheap... but I'm very careful with my money. If I really want or need something, I don't mind paying for it, but I'm always careful not to waste any.

For instance, I always go for the bargains when grocery shopping and spend 20 a week on avarage, but I don't mind spending a little extra on local produce and eggs from free range chickens. I also don't buy a lot of clothes. When I go shopping, which is maybe twice a year, I usually replace the basics that need to be replaced and buy maybe one special item. Oh and in winter, I keep the central heating system at 18 or 19 degrees celsius during the day and 15 at night. It's better for my books and it saves money.

As for glasses, so far I've needed a new pair every three years or so, but I usually buy them when there's a good deal and I always go for the cheaper frames. Last time I got a free pair of prescription sunglasses. Awesome.

Then there's my hobbies. Yeah... let's not talk about what I spend on my hobbies...
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »

Razor blades. They are damn expensive so I make them last way longer than is comfortable. When I feel my face ripping apart is when I finally go buy new ones.

Almost any clothing item. I buy cheap t-shirts and socks because I know I'm going to ruin them so quickly that it doesn't matter. Same with shoes.
Of course, the items I buy for work I will spend a little more on, but not much. It's just not that important.

I almost never buy a game when it first comes out. I hate paying $60 for a video game. I'll wait for a great sale or the inevitable Greatest Hits version.

I hate paying a lot of money for food. Fancy restaurants are a total ripoff. You eat it, and it's gone. Then I get the fat bill and grumble. I'll take my wife out to a decent place once or twice a year, but that's it.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »

'Cheap' isn't the right word for me...I have absolutely no problem spending money on the things I care about.  But my priorities seem to be a little...different from most people.  I buy new clothes maybe once a year, always from dirt-cheap bargain sales.  I wear my shoes until they're literally full of holes and the rubber on the soles has been worn until it's completely flat and smooth.  Yet I won't even hesitate to spend $50+ on a good bottle of wine.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »

I hate paying a lot of money for food. Fancy restaurants are a total ripoff. You eat it, and it's gone.

This is not true. I mean, I don't go to fancy restaurants often, but when I do I'm paying for something different than when I just go out and grab a slice of pizza.

I am generally not cheap. I would call myself thrifty. If I buy any books, they're used. My clothing is all second hand or from discount shops. There are things I enjoy spending money on. Good bottles of alcohol for example, or good food.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »

In general I'm pretty cheap, but I tend not to have much money anyway so I guess that's a good thing. Also my tastes tend to be cheap as well I guess. I don't like going to nice places, nor do I like dressing up in "nice" clothes, and I tend to prefer the food and atmosphere (most times) at cheap hole in the wall places over more expensive places. I think the only thing I'm really willing to spend money on is Music and Books (though I'll buy both used if I can find them). I think it comes down to I just really don't like "nice" things. It's funny because my mother is the exact opposite and loves to shop and goes pretty crazy with clothes and jewelry and things of that sort. She often gives me shit for this.

The biggest killer for me right now is food while I'm working/in school. I work/school so far from home that it's pretty hard to avoid eating out on most days and I easily run through $40-50 a week which is kind of painful since I have crappy income.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »

I buy all books used unless the new price is cheaper, which it usually if it's a hardcover vs. paper. All music is purchased used unless not available or cheaper. Frugality is usually second nature with me.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »

^did not cut corners with his new rig

:)

Well, yeah, what I mean is that I think carefully before I spend my money. I spent months shopping around for my PC looking for the best bargains. I hesitate a lot when I buy things, I make sure that I can't find it cheaper anywhere else and that I really need it and can't afford to wait anymore.
I never do impulse buys. I can't remember the last time I entered a store and bought something that I didn't mean to buy when I went in. When it comes to clothes and shoes I do tend to buy quality products but never those really expensive brands. Even with the "medium priced" brands I wait for a sale if I can.
When I order something online I browse every single site I know to make sure I find the best possible price.
Putting food on the table is getting pretty damn expensive, I'm pretty sure half of my income goes straight to the grocery, shit's insane.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »

Clothes, probably. I only buy new clothes when I think I need them and I whatever I do have, I pretty much wear down to the thread. It isn't so much "being cheap" as it is my dislike for clothes shopping. Usually, someone (sister or mother or friend) will drag me out to go shopping if my wardrobe is starting to look sparse. When I'm at college and living on a stricter budget than home, I buy my books second-hand; they're much cheaper and used bookstores are prevalent in the city. Otherwise, I guess I go for average to above-average priced products. Don't buy many games or anything like that so there isn't much else for me to splurge on anyway.

There are some things I am determined to never cut corners on- for example, shoes. I will gladly spend a lot of money on a sturdy, comfortable pair of shoes. Because I have pretty feet (and I love them)! :D

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:36:59 PM »

Razor blades. They are damn expensive so I make them last way longer than is comfortable. When I feel my face ripping apart is when I finally go buy new ones.

I used to do the same thing, because I got really fucking tired of having to buy Mach 3 blades once a month.  But then I got tired of feeling like I was shaving with a fucking cheese grater too. :P  I decided to buy a safety razor online and go old school with it.  It costs more up front, but you'll make up the difference within a year.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »

I hate paying a lot of money for food. Fancy restaurants are a total ripoff. You eat it, and it's gone.

This is not true. I mean, I don't go to fancy restaurants often, but when I do I'm paying for something different than when I just go out and grab a slice of pizza.

I am generally not cheap. I would call myself thrifty. If I buy any books, they're used. My clothing is all second hand or from discount shops. There are things I enjoy spending money on. Good bottles of alcohol for example, or good food.
Oh, I love good food. I just hate paying for it. Because you don't have anything to show for it afterwords except for a full belly. Same with Alcohol. The wife and I enjoy our wine. We have tried all sorts of brands and types. Saturday night is wine night. Thing is, though, I refuse to spend any more than 10 or $15 on a bottle. Because you drink it, and it's gone. I guess I want tangible proof that my money was well spent. An empty bottle and a headache aren't it.
With a game I get hours of entertainment. Same thing with books. If i go buy some new plants I get the satisfaction of watching them grow and bloom.
We all put different value on different things I suppose.
I see several of you by used books and such. I never buy used anything. Not sure why, really. I just don't like the idea that someone else was groping my book, game, etc. I'm weird.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »

I used to do the same thing, because I got really fucking tired of having to buy Mach 3 blades once a month.  But then I got tired of feeling like I was shaving with a fucking cheese grater too. :P  I decided to buy a safety razor online and go old school with it.  It costs more up front, but you'll make up the difference within a year.

Grow beards you sissies ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: